autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello. New guy and business in Hartford Ky.

Quote Originally Posted by remofire View Post
    My name is Robert Williams.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile. The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

The wash bay is climate controlled and I am already quite busy. Ive been getting at least a car a day right out of the gate. A few days ive gotten 3-5 vehicles in a day and had to get a family relative to help me.

Im very pumped and excited. My biggest thing is that my area is not overun with high quality exquisite vehicles.

My vacuum is a shop vac and if the carpets need cleaning,,,,its carpet cleaner and elbow grease.

If you mention the word detail to 20 people you get 20 different expectations.

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

Hey man i feel your pain i live in owensboro (20 minutes away) and i detail on the weekends in the times that i can because i have no garage to do it in but the expectations of people are ridiculous. People always want a 200 to 300 dollar detail for 75 or 100 dollars as this is not my main income so i dont lower my prices/ I tell them to take it to the other guy and see how well it turns out. I am no professional if you consider doing it for a living but i will put my work against anybody in town after seeing a lot of people come to me after getting their car detailed elsewhere. If you need some advice on something message me on here or facebook "Bobby French" i will be more than glad to help if i can and good luck and your adventure i know in hartford it will a rough road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by remofire View Post
    My name is Robert Williams.

I live in the middle of nowhere and have cleaned cars on the side for a couple of years. But of course you don't get alot of business in the middle of nowhere.

Fast forward to about 6 weeks ago. Fate dealt me a rotten hand employment wise and i was loooking at 2 options. go to a factory that was hiring or try to get a place and clean cars or go mobile. The end result was that i am renting a wash bay for $300 a month at my friends car lot. it is on our counties main highway, where the 2 biggest towns meet up and right by our McDonalds and Wal Mart.

The wash bay is climate controlled and I am already quite busy. Ive been getting at least a car a day right out of the gate. A few days ive gotten 3-5 vehicles in a day and had to get a family relative to help me.

Im very pumped and excited. My biggest thing is that my area is not overun with high quality exquisite vehicles.

My vacuum is a shop vac and if the carpets need cleaning,,,,its carpet cleaner and elbow grease.

If you mention the word detail to 20 people you get 20 different expectations.

I think whats gonna fly around here are just basic $40=$50 cleanings and more thourough $75-$100 cleanups.

Take advantage of that spot and invest some proper equipment.The promblems you may face once this takes off is growing pains.Make sure you charge according to the labor cost and supplies.You can do more than 100 services.Every town has people that will.pay for higher services keep up your reputation and you will be getting suprise phone calls.I would do washes for a year then start to wean off.Then cater to just detailing services.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm mobile and I wouldn't touch a car for 35.00 wash.I get calls all the time for washes.I keep forgetting to remove the decal on the van.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I'm mobile and I wouldn't touch a car for 35.00 wash.I get calls all the time for washes.I keep forgetting to remove the decal on the van.
    What’s the minimum you touch a car for?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do car washes I'm Mobile and for me it's a waste of time.Back in 2003 I bought 5 brand new Ford econolines and killed them all by year 3.I have a transit connect now so I'm only limited to detailing.I had 70 wash clients a Mercedes Benz dealer and there body shop and a wholesaler that fed me 10 cars a month.Heres the promblem with washes it gets in the way of you making good money.If Joe calls you on Tuesday and says I've got a classic car for you to clean up for 350 or whatever and you promised Carol the wash client that you will be there the day the classic car needs to be done what are you going to to ,the 350 job or the measley 35.00 wash.In most cases you can call Carol to reschedule and she is fine with it or she can be pissed off.Thats why I don't do washes.You will get beat up so bad and make no money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12