autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Hobbyist

Post Thanks / Like

Smile New Hobbyist

Hello Geeks,

My name is John and I just want to finally introduce myself and create my first post here on AGO. I have always been obsessed with keeping my car clean, but not until recently did I want to take it to another level in what I think is true “detailing.” I have been lurking around here for a bit, and I really envy and enjoy you guys’ work. I have also learned quite a bit from the forum posts, all thanks to you guys!

I made my first order here at AutoGeek on 4/19/2012 and received my package on 4/26/2012. I was very excited when I received my first package from AG (I’m sure you all know how that feels.) and even took a picture to remember that moment.

(please excuse the iphone pic quality)

My first order was nothing special. I really wanted/needed a new drying towel (as my AutoZone chamois wasn’t cutting it anymore after almost a year), and so I gave the guzzlers a try…along with some other random things I figured I could try out as well.

The Guzzler Combo Kit
    Sheepskin Wash Pad
    Pinnacle Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad
    Super Soft Deluxe Green Microfiber Towels with Rolled Edges
    Pinnacle Foam Wax Applicators
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    Sample: Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant

I was very pleased with my order. However, I was expecting packing peanuts when I opened the box, but found packing paper instead. I don’t know why some of you guys complain about the peanuts, but I think they offer more protection/cushion for the products. Also, I was somewhat let down by the sheepskin wash pad, but mainly due to its size. This was, however, my first time using a sheepskin media to wash a car and I think this pad has convinced me to get Dodo Juice’s Supernatural Wash Mitt someday. Again, I was pretty satisfied with my order and I knew that I would order from AG again.

Fast forward and almost a month passes by. I find out that AG is having a Memorial Day sale. I figured this would be a great opportunity to order some more stuff that I “need.” Placed an order on 5/18/2012 and received my package on 5/25/2012. This time however, I couldn’t sleep right for a week as I was super anxious and excited to get my second package from AG. When I heard the UPS truck coming down the street, I didn’t even wait for the UPS man to ring the doorbell. I ran outside and personally received the package from him while trying to hide the huge geeky smile on my face.

Again, this order might not be anything special to most of you guys, but I wanted to get some more of the basic stuff.

Grit Guards
    Microfiber Starter Kit
    Mega Applicator Kit
    Wheel Woolies 3-Piece Kit
    Sample: Pinnacle Crystal Mist Detail Spray

This second order was even better than the first one. I have yet to use any of them, but I already know I will love them. I will state however, that I was not overly impressed with the Gold Microfiber Towels that were included in the Microfiber Starter Kit. I think I prefer the ones I ordered the first time, but at least now I know which ones I will order more of.

You might be wondering, what are the products that I use? I have decided (as well as my wallet) to stick with OTC stuff for now. Also, I wanted to have somewhat of an idea as to what is available locally, so I can compare it to stuff I order from AG sometime in the future.

All of these products, except for the Sonax FE and AG samples, I have found locally. I am somewhat content with what I have in my arsenal so far, but I know there are much better products out there and I can't wait to be able to try them out.

One more picture...

And of course, my car...

These are some recent (5/25/2012) pics of my car. It definitely has its share of swirls, rock chips, scratches, dents, etc. I am currently performing some maintenance projects and about to dump some serious money this summer to upgrade the suspension. Therefore, the funds for detailing products are limited. Hopefully by next year, I can do a full detail and paint correction with the purchase of a DA polisher and more products to get that nice wet, deep and glossy paint with crisp reflections.

Some older pics of the interior and engine bay…

What I accomplished about a year ago with Autozone and Eagle One products…

Here's a list of some products I would like to try someday:
    Wash:
    Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss
    Chemical Guys Honeydew Snow Foam
    Dodo Juice Supernatural Wash Mitt

Wheels:
    CarPro Tar-X
    CarPro Iron-X
    Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner
    Mother's Foaming All Wheel & Tire Cleaner (Maintenance)
    Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus (Wheel Well)
    Daytona Speed Master Brushes
    Mother's Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit
    Chemical Guys Bare Bones Undercarriage Spray
    [Clay Bar & Clay Lube]
    Optimum Opti-Seal
    Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Maintenance)
    CarPro PERL

Interior:
    1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Cleaner
    CarPro PERL
    303 Aerospace Protectant (Maintenance)
    303 High Tech Fabric Guard
    Leatherique Kit #3
    Leather Master Kit (Maintenance)
    Chemical Guys Sprayable Leather (Maintenance)
    Folex Carpet Spot Remover
    Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus
    Mother's Interior & Upholstery Brush

Engine:
    303 Aerospace Protectant
    Daytona Speed Master Brushes
    Mother's Detail Brush Set

Jambs:
    Optimum Power Clean
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
    Optimum Car Wax (Door Jambs)
    Mother's Detail Brush Set

Paint Prep:
    CarPro Iron-X
    CarPro Tar-X
    Clay Magic Blue
    Chemical Guys Luber

Paint Correction:
    Flex XC3401 VRG or Griot's Garage Polisher Club Kit (Still can’t decide)
    Lake Country Dual-Action Hook & Loop Flexible 5" Backing Plate
    Lake Country 5.5" Flat Foam Pads
    CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators
    Foam Pad Conditioning Brush
    Menzerna Super Intensive Polish
    Menzerna Super Finish
    Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant
    CarPro Eraser

Exhaust:
    P21S Polishing Soap
    Chemical Guys Metal Shine
    Chemical Guys Metal Wax

Exterior Trim:
    Optimum Power Clean
    CarPro PERL
    303 Aerospace Protectant (Maintenance)

Glass and Mirrors:
    Stoner's Invisible Glass

LSP Combinations:
    Pinnacle: Souveran Liquid Wax, Souveran Paste Wax, Souveran Crystal Mist, Souveran Spray Wax
    Chemical Guys: Black Light, Jetseal 109, Hybrid V7 Pete's 53' Paste Wax
    Dodo Juice: Red Mist Tropical, Orange Crush, Banana Armour
    German: Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, P21S Concours Carnauba Wax

Maintenance Sprays:
    Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine
    Ultima Waterless Wash Plus
    Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray
    Optimum Car Wax

Obviously, this list will only get bigger…most likely because of you guys…

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and allowing me to introduce myself. I look forward to discussing and learning from all of you guys!

Best,
    John B.
    Certified Geek
    Last edited by H3LLROT; 05-31-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Hobbyist

Sorry for my quick response but amazing first post!! Love the ride and you are on your way! Can't wait to see your progress!
    Mark
    Go Orange!
    Seasonal Depression Disease

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO. Looks like you keep your BMW nice and clean. Love the engine bay! Your "wanna try" list looks just like mine LOL. See you around.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

LOVE the look of that generation of BMW's. I'd take one of those over the newer curvier designs. Awesome to see someone keeping one in such great shape. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Post Thanks / Like

So clean!! looks great welcome to the forum.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by H3LLROT View Post

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and allowing me to introduce myself. I look forward to discussing and learning from all of you guys!

Best,
    John B.
    Certified Geek

Hi John,

Welcome to Autogeek Online and AWESOME first post!

Check out my article list, I've updated it and I'm adding a few pictures to help break up the text and make topics easier to find.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you my friend. New to this level of detailing and just made my first order recently of the Porter Cable 7424XP and XMT Light Swirl Remover package. Unfortunately my car is currently in the shop getting hail damage repaired, so I can't try out my new tools yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Hobbyist-anpphotos-515-1-jpg   New Hobbyist-hail02-jpg   New Hobbyist-car_damage-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Figured with a screen name of hellrot you had to have a red M3. Nice clean E36, OBDII car? Those 5 series msport wheels look good on it, better than the stockers IMO, no rubbing?
    Try using a Grout sponge for your wash media before you spend the money on the Dodo one, heck for $2 worth a try, I use them all the time.
    Where in Cali are you if I might ask? I could give you some samples of some of the stuff on your list, just need some bottles if local to OC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Adam View Post
    I'm with you my friend. New to this level of detailing and just made my first order recently of the Porter Cable 7424XP and XMT Light Swirl Remover package. Unfortunately my car is currently in the shop getting hail damage repaired, so I can't try out my new tools yet.
    I thought you were holding some detailing clay until I zoomed in. DANG that is some big a$$ hail!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trumbo_S10 View Post
    Sorry for my quick response but amazing first post!! Love the ride and you are on your way! Can't wait to see your progress!
    Thank you for the warm welcome TRUMBO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    Welcome to AGO. Looks like you keep your BMW nice and clean. Love the engine bay! Your "wanna try" list looks just like mine LOL. See you around.
    Thanks Nicholas! Not sure if you noticed but the hood cowl is begging for some PERL! The CarPro DLUX looks interesting as well…CarPro Cquartz Dlux - In Stock, Tested & Reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@Autogeek View Post
    LOVE the look of that generation of BMW's. I'd take one of those over the newer curvier designs. Awesome to see someone keeping one in such great shape. Thanks for sharing and welcome aboard!
    Thanks Ray!

I agree. Maybe it’s because I grew up in Germany in the mid 90’s with this generation of 3-Series BMWs and I have always wanted one since I was little. Sure I’ll take a newer car, especially as a daily driver, but the E36 M3 will always have a special place in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by erock View Post
    So clean!! looks great welcome to the forum.
    Thank you EROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi John,

Welcome to Autogeek Online and AWESOME first post!

Check out my article list, I've updated it and I'm adding a few pictures to help break up the text and make topics easier to find.

Articles by Mike Phillips

Thank you Mike! I just want to say that you are definitely one of the reasons why I decided to join this great forum and do business with Autogeek. You are certainly very helpful, even if I have never talked to you personally. Thank you and the entire Autogeek staff for all of your hard work.

That’s an awesome link. Thanks! And just when I thought I had read enough of your articles…

Quote Originally Posted by WRX_Adam View Post
    Thanks Adam! Sorry to hear about the issue with hail and your car. Your car looked great before the incident! I would be totally bummed out. Good luck though and I hope you are very pleased when everything is done. Hopefully you post some pictures to share with everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post
    Figured with a screen name of hellrot you had to have a red M3. Nice clean E36, OBDII car? Those 5 series msport wheels look good on it, better than the stockers IMO, no rubbing?
    Try using a Grout sponge for your wash media before you spend the money on the Dodo one, heck for $2 worth a try, I use them all the time.
    Where in Cali are you if I might ask? I could give you some samples of some of the stuff on your list, just need some bottles if local to OC.
    Thanks BOBBLE!

Yes, you are correct. I fell in love with Hellrot after owning my first bimmer, a 1996 328i. I purchased this car last year in January. It is a 1996 M3 and completely stock except for the Dinan Stage 1 suspension. I love the M-Parallels, since I am trying to go for the OEM+ look. These are OEM E38 fitment however; (Front: 18x8 ET13, Rear: 18x9.5 ET25). Unfortunately, they do rub in the rear (with 245/35/18s) on dips and whenever I drive up on steep driveways. I am hoping to resolve this issue soon though.
    They are by far better than the old contours I bought it with.

I take it you like bimmers or have one?

As for the grout sponges, I actually went out a while back and picked one up from Home Depot and another one from Lowe’s to compare.

They seemed fine and felt very soft inside the plastic wrapper, but after unwrapping them at home, I changed my mind. Then again, I’m not sure if I purchased the right ones.

I am in Hayward (SF Bay Area) and sadly, quite far from you. Thank you for the offer though! I appreciate it and I would’ve given you my grout sponges for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    I thought you were holding some detailing clay until I zoomed in. DANG that is some big a$$ hail!
    That must have been some ridiculous hail!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast