autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

First time, long time from Concord, North Carolina

Hello Auto Geeks!

I have been following this forum for several months now and am excited to be making my first post. To begin, here is a little about myself. My real name is Matt and I am 25 years old. I was born and raised in Southern New Jersey near Long Beach Island. There I developed passions for surfing, lifeguarding, guitar, and most importantly cars! My first car was a 2000 4.0L Jeep Wrangler Sahara and my off road excursions are what lead me into detailing. Although at the time there was not much detailing going on, it was more "How the heck am I ever going to get all the mud off this thing?" The detailing aspect came when I needed to sell the car. At this point I was going to school in Wilmington, North Carolina and I was looking for a car that was better for the long drive. To do this, the Jeep needed to go and my first thought was "People like cars that shine." I still had little experience with 'real' detailing, but I went to my local auto supply store and picked up the old Meguiar's deep crystal system (Paint cleaner, polish, wax), their clay bar system, as well as a $30 DA polisher. At the time I thought the car came out great, and any other non-auto geek probably would have thought the same. After sticking a for sale sign in the window, I received five or six calls daily and sold the car by the end of the week. Seeing the fruits of my labor I began to catch the Auto Geek bug, but school and work limited the extent to which I could continue my detailing progress.

Fast forward five years, one Porsche 986 Boxster, a BA in Philosophy, to today. I am attending graduate school at the University of the North Carolina at Charlotte and picked up a used yellow, 2006 987 Boxster. Unfortunately that description should say yellow, swirl filled, 2006 987 Boxster. Nevertheless, the little experience and success I gained from cleaning up my Jeep (and a few other cars I did not mention) gave me enough reason to believe that there must be even more effective methods out there that could get this paint back to its original beauty. After all, if I was able to improve the looks of a car with no education and only OTC products, imagine what could be done with a little tutelage and improved equipment! Lucky for me I found both of these at Auto Geek.

I have spent months now watching every amazing how-to video on the Auto Geek website. Each time marveling at the clear, descriptive, and informative way Mr. Phillips presents tips and techniques I had no idea existed until I visited this site. After absorbing as much information as I could from these videos, I moved onto the forum where I learned even more from Mike's in-depth articles, the amazing reviews from CEE DOG, informative write-ups by BobbyG, and all the other members I am forgetting to mention right now. Thank you all for sharing your experience and helping all those who, like myself, are trying to become the best Auto Geeks they can be.

As of now, the finical restraints that come along with being a graduate student are keeping me from placing all the products in my wish list into my cart. Yet, in a few weeks I will be back up in New Jersey to return for my tenth year of ocean lifeguarding. You can bet my first paycheck will be used to turn that 'wish-list' into my 'current supplies' list. After this I plan on tackling my car as well as my Dad's black 350z. You can count on pictures and write-ups documenting the process.

Until then I look forward to talking with all of you on the forum and thank you in advance for the helpful advice I know I will receive. Now I am off to enjoy the first product I was able to order from Auto Geek, my Meguiar's D110 Hyper-Wash. With two buckets filled, a bunch of microfibers, and a bag of detailing supplies, time to go be an Auto Geek.

Best,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time, long time from Concord, North Carolina

Welcome to AGO!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Mike Phillips

Welcome Matt!

Quote Originally Posted by maz5219 View Post

Yet, in a few weeks I will be back up in New Jersey to return for my tenth year of ocean lifeguarding. You can bet my first paycheck will be used to turn that 'wish-list' into my 'current supplies' list. After this I plan on tackling my car as well as my Dad's black 350z. You can count on pictures and write-ups documenting the process.

Best,
    Matt

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Get back to that lifeguarding job and then take a look at getting a PC style DA Polisher if you want to keep your investment low or go for the Flex 3401 if that interest you...

Glad to have you aboard!

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online Matt!!

This is a great place to learn and also teach. We all start as beginners and as we learn we develop our own skill sets taking our ability and performance to the next level...

Welcome aboard!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Wake County!
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Ago Matt!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from SC !

Post Thanks / Like