autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PIMking

Another new guy from the south.

Hello, My name is Ian and I'm a rookie from Alabama. (grew up in Florida though)

I've always been pretty anal about keeping my cars clean but I guess I have never been nearly knowledgeable as once thought. I was the boss of 4 dump trucks and kept them very very clean. I would use wash it every week. Wax it once a month. Now I used a cheap "wal mart" buffer and since the trucks were in all kinds of bad conditions I used Nu-Finish. (not great but worked)

I'm now here because I got a new car and the fiance has an older 02 civic that she has neglected. We plan on selling the Honda and I want to do a real good clean job with getting some scratches, and swirls out. I've been reading for days now trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

the only thing I know for sure is the PC...

Pads?

Product? leaning Wolfgang.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another new guy from the south.

and you have come to the right place for info!
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome & WAR EAGLE!!!
    I too am from AL and thought I new a little about detailing and this site has proven that it truly is an art..I really have picked my favorite hobby up to the next notch by reading and learning here..
    Just wanted to shout at another from the south! ENJOY!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
    Hello, My name is Ian and I'm a rookie from Alabama.

the only thing I know for sure is the PC...

Pads?
    At least two of each, 5.5" orange and white pads.

Product? leaning Wolfgang.
    The Wolfgang twins are perfect. (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze)
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. You will enjoy the trial and tribulations exchanged among us as we try to achieve excellence in car detailing.

PIMking

Question Re: Another new guy from the south.

Quote Originally Posted by RACERX View Post
    Welcome & WAR EAGLE!!!
    I too am from AL and thought I new a little about detailing and this site has proven that it truly is an art..I really have picked my favorite hobby up to the next notch by reading and learning here..
    Just wanted to shout at another from the south! ENJOY!

Not a Bama fan, Kate (fiance) should graduate from UA here next year. Her father is a dean here. My mom went to Florida and that is where I grew up. I was suppose to go to UF out of HS but I lost my father my senior year of HS. So being a momma's boy I couldn't leave my mom at that time. I ended up wasting away 6 years before I decided to head back to school. I'm so glad that I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronos View Post

At least two of each, 5.5" orange and white pads.

The Wolfgang twins are perfect. (Total Swirl Remover and Finishing Glaze)
    The Pads are what really makes me confused. But thank you very much!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GaDetailDoc View Post
    Welcome. You will enjoy the trial and tribulations exchanged among us as we try to achieve excellence in car detailing.
    I've done it for a while, I actually love to do this stuff and it's kinda therapeutic. I just didn't take it that serious like now. The dump trucks had single stage paint so it wasn't like I was working on something that was going to a show.

Now I bought an 09 Nissan Versa in the summer that only had 9k miles on it. I went to Iowa for Xmas to visit the fiances family in Des Moines. We took our two dogs and well ran into snow. So once I got back to Tuscaloosa I washed it with just water and regular car wash soap that I sprayed on. I rinsed it off 3 times before I used a microfiber mitt to actually apply soap by hand. But once I got done I just put on a quick coat of Turtle wax Cleaner/wax that I found in one of my old boxes from when I moved here. It's doing the job and looks okay. But I noticed some spiderwebs in the pain and I want to get rid of those.

It's not an expensive car by any means, but it's my first loan and my first car that I actually pay for other than my sports car restores.

I will get pictures up of the fiance's Honda Tomorrow to get an Idea what I need to do.

I'm going to post pictures of my Versa here in a bit. Then I will post pictures of my other cars. (since sold)

I go to a JuCo here in Tuscaloosa, I'm a full time college student that works part time at a hotel and lives on my own. I'm very proud that I take no help at all from the Government. So I'm going to see if the skill is still there and if I do a good enough job on the Honda that I might do this as a "side job" kind of deal for a little extra cash. I'm not expecting to do PRO quality work. But I am pretty anal and wont settle for "okay".

PIMking

09 Versa SL CVT. bought with 9k in June and now has 21k lol

1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. 60k on the body, brand new drive train. (just a car wash and tire shine)

1989 Mustang LX 358w I bought the vehicle with this horrible paint job. (got it cheap) then swapped out the motor

PIMking

actually, the Talon was worked on in the body shop probably a week before that. It had a rust spot on the side panel right behind the door and infront of the rear tire on that panel. They patched and pained it. I remember complaining about the swirls to them too.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little vague in my last post.

Total Swirl Remover (TSR) is usually used with a cutting pad. For Lake country's flat pads, they use orange for their cutting pads.

Finishing Glaze (FG) is usually used with a polishing pad. Again, for the flat pads, Lake country usually uses white for their polishing pads.

Here's a link with much better explanations. Lake Country 5 1/2 Beveled Edge Foam Pads
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing in the world that makes me happier than to see a UF sticker on a car with a Bama tag. GO GATORS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast