autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, from Idaho

Hey Folks,

Glad I found your forum, I've been reading and reading... oh and reading ;-) Since yesterday. For the first time I have a car that both 1) I want to shine really nice and 2) NEEDS a good shine due to that last owner doing something wrong (I think I know what it was now).

I've always been the usual type, wash, put on wax on and it should shine nice. I had no idea making the shine nice could be so complex! I didn't even know how to use polish lol
    Now thanks to all the great articles and threads on here, I'm learning fast!

We just bought a used 2001 Ford Mustang, the paint was gritty feeling but not like that oxidized feel, more like it had a fine coat of immovable dust on it, and a haze all over when viewed at different angles. I think the last person used a polish but didn't finish rubbing it and it dried. I'm going to buy some of the good stuff when I have some extra money, but for now I'm carefully and gently using some rubbing compound with soft pressure and working each area until it's gone and the haze is gone in those areas, kewl!

You guys have many products listed, where do you list the replacement shoulders I'm going to need by the time I'm done? lol

Cheers folks!
    Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey all, from Idaho

Welcome to AGOL.......

Post Thanks / Like

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard . Have you tried to clay the vechile. I will do less damage to you paint. If you trying to get off old wax you can use Isopropel & water 50/50 spray and wipe use detail brush as well . I alway love clean up after other peoples lazyness. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ron where you from in Idaho? I'm in Boise and if you need any help with polishing or claying technique send me a PM.
    2007 Mustang GT 5-Speed
    2008 Superduty 6.4 Twin Turbo

Mike Phillips

Hi Ron,

Welcome to Autogeek Online!

Quote Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post

We just bought a used 2001 Ford Mustang, the paint was gritty feeling but not like that oxidized feel, more like it had a fine coat of immovable dust on it, and a haze all over when viewed at different angles.
    Sounds like the paint needs to be clayed? Have you ever used detailing clay before?

Careful with the compounds, there are some on the market that will scratch clear coats, so make sure you're getting good results before going over the entire car.