autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Back into it after what seems like forever

Hello from Minnesota!

I'm Mike and I look forward to getting back into the detailing world after being away from it since I sold my last show car back in the late 90's. I loved to wash, polish, wax, etc. I had a hold cabinet full of supplies. Back then my toys were an 87 Buick Grand National and an 73 Chevy Monte Carlo. Boy I wish I had those cars back.

Now I've been pasted down some family vehicles on my wife's side and they are in far worse shape than what I ever dealt with back then. Rust (Patina), oxidation, blemishes, etc. I already washed them up and scrubbed them with SOS pads. Made a world of difference. Now looking to take them to the next level. I know I'll never get them the level of my old toys without paint jobs but I want to get them as far as I can while keeping them original right now. I know there is the whole linseed, clear coat, Petrol thing but I'd much rather sand, polish, wax, etc.

I look forward to learning all about the latest and greatest from all of you!!!!!!

2. Likes noorth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back into it after what seems like forever

I saw the pics in your other thread. As far as the latest and greatest goes, you can throw most of it out the window. Those products are for paint in reasonable condition.

The condition of each of those cars varies significantly, so what works for one may not work for the other.

The only one that looks like a polish may help is the Impala. But I have to ask - why in the world would you scrub that paint with an SOS pad? It looks like you have put some pretty serious scratches into it. Initial cleaning with Comet Cleanser would have been a much better choice.

In any case, the products and processes you would have used 20 or 30 years ago are probably still a good place to start today, with the exception of compounds and polishes. Those have made great strides since then.

Have fun!

4. Likes opie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

White Bear Lake here, where ya at in Minnesota?
    Ripping through your mind like a hurricane full of novocaine

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Up north in Brainerd.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some links to a couple threads that may be of interest... They discuss revitalizing, preserving and care for vehicles in conditions similar to yours.

Need advice - Oxidized Paint Correction on 1968 Dodge Charger

Controlling pigment removal using Mirror Glaze #7 - 1953 MG

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The scratches look worse than they are. They are no worse than what is left by wet sanding. I quickly test polished an area by hand and it shined right up and marks faded substantially.

I'm thinking that I would try the #7 overnight and multiple coats treatment on the black Impala and maybe the red Apache. They have the best paint of the bunch with more or less just oxidation to deal with for the time being. The teal Belair is a combination. #7 on the painted parts and possibly wet sand on the rust to see if some of the color is hiding under there. The '41 might be just a candidate for wet sanding and seeing if there is anything salvageable. Or just linseed what's there and call it good.

My wife remembers playing in these cars when she was little and learned to drive with the '66 so they are somewhat sentimental. They all came to me in nonrunning or driving with the '41 engine being seized. I have the '66 running and driving and the '61 Apache running.

My goal is to get them running, driving and looking the best I can without spending a ton of money so the wife and I can enjoy them. Hopefully give her Uncle a ride in them again before he passes. Once we have accomplished those things, then plan on taking them to the next level, starting with the Impala and Apache.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I wouldn't be doing any wet sanding on any of them. Typically, in cases like this the goal is to retain as much of the existing finish as possible.