autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey from Evansville, Wisconsin

Hey from Evansville, Wisconsin

Hello everyone,

Long time gearhead going who loves wrenching my own rides and friends .

1967 Chevelle purchased in 1982 396 M20 373's gold w/ black vinyl top, rallys, w/ redlines. runs 13.35 @ 106 mph with the skinny redlines and full exhaust

1960 Porsche 356 B Roadster 1600 super ---Ruby red lite grey interior been in the family since 1960.

Car was raced in F production from 4/1960 thru 8/1960 -

Both cars restored in the early 1990's and garaged weekend drives.

Since this is a detailing site I will tell you I have never done anything but wash and wax my rides. In fact I have not put water on the Chevelle in over 20 years just mist quick detailer and light wipe. Same with the Porsche but that gets driven less.

That is going to change,--- I just ordered a flex xfe-7 finisher and a bunch of lc flat pads, micro's,wax etc. from this site.

Never used a polisher in my life but the flex xfe seemed to fit my bill as I don't think my rides need too much correction ,,but I could be wrong ??

Picked up megs uc and up plus the uwax which will be the sealent before the Souveran or series II have both .

I never really noticed many swirls' but I am sure they are there .

Anyways looking forward to polishing up the Roadster and Chevelle this spring .

I will practice on my summer and winter rides --97 accord wagon and 98 silverado just work vehicles that go through the touchless a few times a month and never get waxed just dd's

Brett
    '67 Chevelle 396, M20, 373's - purchased in 1982
    '60 Porsche 356B Roadster 1600 super - Mom&Dad purchased in 1960

Mike Phillips

Re: Hey from Wisconsin ,[Evansville]

Quote Originally Posted by bb67hd View Post

Hello everyone,
    Long time gearhead going who loves wrenching my own rides and friends .

1967 Chevelle purchased in 1982 396 M20 373's gold w/ black vinyl top, rallys, w/ redlines. runs 13.35 @ 106 mph with the skinny redlines and full exhaust
    1960 Porsche 356 B Roadster 1600 super ---Ruby red lite grey interior been in the family since 1960.

Car was raced in F production from 4/1960 thru 8/1960 -

Both cars restored in the early 1990's and garaged weekend drives.
    Wow!

Great history and backround!

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Your intro thread was in the "Moderation Queue" when I came to work this morning, I approved it. Not sure what our software flagged it?

Since this is a detailing site I will tell you I have never done anything but wash and wax my rides. In fact I have not put water on the Chevelle in over 20 years just mist quick detailer and light wipe. Same with the Porsche but that gets driven less.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest to go out to the garage and do the "Baggie Test". If AJ can do it - heck anyone can do it!

The Baggie Test as seen on Competition Ready TV with AJ and Mike Phillips

That is going to change,--- I just ordered a flex xfe-7 finisher and a bunch of lc flat pads, micro's,wax etc. from this site.

Never used a polisher in my life but the flex xfe seemed to fit my bill as I don't think my rides need too much correction ,,but I could be wrong ??
    If the cars just have light swirls the FLEX XFE-7 or as it is called by name, the FINISHER, it can get the job done.

I love this guy, his name is Rick, I think he told me he was in his 70's when he took my Texas Roadshow Class.

After taking the class and using all the different brands and types of tools, Rick chose the FLEX FINISHER and then he de-swirled his own 1967 Pontiac GTO and his first "Detail for Money" job, a 1967 Corvette.

Check out these two threads,

Removing swirls out of a 1967 Pontiac GTO by Rick

My First Detail Job Other than my own cars! ( Long Post)

Picked up megs uc and up plus the uwax which will be the sealent before the Souveran or series II have both .
    I never really noticed many swirls' but I am sure they are there .
    Do the Baggie Test and my guess is you will want and need to clay the paint, glass anything smooth. After claying, then do at least ONE machine polishing step and the paint on both cars will come alive and GLISTEN. You and all your friends will be impressed.

Anyways looking forward to polishing up the Roadster and Chevelle this spring .

I will practice on my summer and winter rides --97 accord wagon and 98 silverado just work vehicles that go through the touchless a few times a month and never get waxed just dd's

Thanks for sharing, sorry about the delay in your intro thread showing up.

Mike Phillips

Also...

Even though I show the lowly Porter Cable 7424XP in the below video, ALL the tips and techniques I share apply to ANY free spinning random orbital polisher including the FLEX FINISHER.

The only major difference between what I show in this video for free spinning random orbital polishers versus GEAR-DRIVEN ORBITAL polishers, (notice I didn't use the word RANDOM to describe gear-driven polishers), is that with a gear-driven orbital you can tackle much larger sections at a time when doing correction work.

Here's the video,

Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

I've made a lot of videos in my life. Last summer Yancy and I made a brand new video series for our ROKU channel. After they were edited and placed on our ROKU channel I never got around to actually watching them. Last week I watched this video on exterior car detailing for the first time. In my my opinion, it's our best video ever on the topic of machine polishing and EVERYTHING related to machine polishing is included in the video.

Do me a favor please

Grab your favorite beverage, hot coffee, cold soda and expand the video to fill the entire screen and give it a watch and the if you would be so kind, reply to this thread with what you think about the content and presentation of the subject matter.

I also think this demonstrates Yancy's incredible skill as our "Creative Director". Nice work Yancy.

Thank you and enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike,
    I have watched some of your video's and of course read many of your [and others] posts very informative !! , which led me to purchasing a polisher, almost bought a used flex off ebay -- but glad I made the purchase here as you sure get a lot of freebies which I was not expecting .

I did actually clay the chevelle about ten years ago [forgot about that] and it do a little but was pretty smooth to begin with but I never used a machine of any kind on the Chevelle.
    I do have a new clay bar which I will use on the Roadster & Chevelle and then follow the guide lines I learned reading here .

My friend Jim who owns bach racecraft did a light buff on the Porsche just over ten years ago right before dad quit driving the car and can give me pointers too.

I will try to post some progress pics when I do the polishing etc.. on the cars but
    I am not the best with the work I phone, I take a pic, email to myself then I can transfer the download to a site like here .
    I could get one of the kids from work to help too as those millenniums are really good with the new phones and computers.
    I still have my flip phone and I can actually make a telephone call !!

Brett

5. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hey from Evansville, Wisconsin

Welcome to AGO!

Don't sweat the polisher. The first time you use it, it will only take about 2 minutes to realize that all of the worrying was for naught.

Using the polisher is not only easy, it's also safe.

After you get the hang of it, you will start to dial in your process and probably try new pad/product combo's.

One great thing about this forum is that there are no "stupid questions". Every member here started from square one, and we are always willing to help out.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike , that's a great video and super looking '71 Chevelle thanks!

I Will probably watch that video again [plus others ] a few times over the winter and before I tackle the 2 cars in spring.

Brett