autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Member Here! Question about drying phase

Hey all, I am from the tri-state, got into detailing last year when I bought my weekend warrior. Since then I have watched hundreds of hours on detailing along with keeping up with this forum and finally decided to become a part of the community! I am having a bit of trouble though when it comes to my dads car, and even when I wash my girlfriend's car when it comes to drying. Sometimes at the end of the wash the water seems to be soaked into the body of the paint (posted image link below) as if it was never washed or just a bad job. I do use a damp microfiber towel along with a paint hydrator.

So I am doing a paint correction on dads black 2017 Ford Explorer. Since he’s bought this car, it’s been in nothing but automatic car washes and during winter has gone months without wash. Since I started detailing my own cars last year, I finally decided to buy a DA Polisher and paint correct his car. I use a sun joe pressure washer

Here are the steps and products used:

For wheels and tires:
    - AMMO Brute Shampoo and P&S Brake Duster

- Clay barred the wheels with a clay bar and Megiuars Quik Detailer

Body of car:
    - 2 bucket wash method - one filled with Griot’s Brilliant Finish Car Shampoo and The Rag Company’s Premium Cyclone Korean microfiber wash mitt

- Car Pro Tar X

- Regular amazon foam cannon

After washing the car, it comes to the drying phase. I use The Rag Company’s Twist N Shout Double Twistress towels. I figured since this car for 4-5 years has been through hell, that it feels super rough even with the damp drying towel. Feels super nasty. After drying I started to clay bar the car. I started with the hood in order to start a test section.

To clay bar I used Chemical Guy’s Clay Luber for lubrications. (After I ran out I went back to Quik Detailer). I then used Meguiars 105 on a cutting pad on my Griot’s G9 polisher. Results looked great on the test section. However, even after compound, the car dried like this(Drying attempt - Album on Imgur). - This is not the test section fyi

Not sure what causes this. Drying towels are new BTW

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Member Here! Question about drying phase

You lost me... You said you polished with M205, but then you say “even after compound”... What compound? I thought you said you polished?

Did you apply a lsp? Or are you just washing the vehicle willy nilly with no form of protection after going through the trouble of using a polisher on it?

Did you use several pads when you polished the vehicle? Or did you try to stretch it out with minimal pads?

How does the test spot look in comparison to this section in your photo?

And how does that section in the photo look when it’s completely dry? Does it look like crap when fully dry?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't proof read, sorry about that. I compounded with M105. I have not polished yet. Let me try to make this clearer.

So far all I have done is the 2 bucket wash method and clay bar. I have only compounded half of the hood as a test section. Here is the result from just M205 Compound. I have yet to compound the rest of the car or polish. But after I do, I am going to use Car Pro Erase and then Reload as a LSP for protection. However, even on the test section, when I was wiping off the compound and Clay Lube, it was drying like the original image

New Member Here! Question about drying phase-img_3210-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OVO Yorge View Post
    I didn't proof read, sorry about that. I compounded with M105. I have not polished yet. Let me try to make this clearer.

So far all I have done is the 2 bucket wash method and clay bar. I have only compounded half of the hood as a test section. Here is the result from just M205 Compound. I have yet to compound the rest of the car or polish. But after I do, I am going to use Car Pro Erase and then Reload as a LSP for protection. However, even on the test section, when I was wiping off the compound and Clay Lube, it was drying like the original image

New Member Here! Question about drying phase-img_3210-jpg
    You did it again. You said you compounded with M105, but then you called M205 your compound.New Member Here! Question about drying phaselol.
    But no big deal, just busting your chops.

As far as the marks, don’t sweat them. I’ve had marks like that appear on black vehicles the same way after waterless washing and while it looks a bit wierd, they disappear when the paint fully dries. [at least they did in my case] And as long as they do, don’t worry about it. I think it’s due to the claying process.

Just continue your plan and everything should turn out ok. Do a full test spot if you want to make sure.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL Dammit I didn't catch it haha. But ok that makes me feel better, it does dry fine afterwards but since I don't experience that with my weekend car I was like mhmm. It's hard to compare since that car is ceramic coated too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by OVO Yorge View Post

However, even after compound, the car dried like this

This is not the test section fyi

Not sure what causes this. Drying towels are new BTW
    I'm confused too...

If it were me, I would have,

1. Washed and dried
    2. Clayed car
    3. Do first Test Spot

Do your first Test Spot using the M205 and then inspect the results. If looks good buff out car with M205. If looks bad, DO a new TEST SPOT.

Now test M105 AND FOLLOW THIS WITH THE M205 - NOW wipe off polish and inspect paint. If looks good - repeat the M105/M205 to entire car. Then seal.

I wouldn't waste my time washing the car in-between steps.

DIAL IN YOUR TEST SPOT AND GO

That's just me....

And welcome to AGO