autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbyist in NC

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobbyist in NC

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWithASubie View Post
    I'm just North of Charlotte in Statesville.
    I live in Charlotte!!!
    Welcome to the best world sir... I sold my 2006 STI some time ago.

You looking more for a sealant look or a wax?
    Paste or liquid or spray form?
    You prefer the protection together with the correction or want to do 2 separate steps??? (More options and durability as separate, but also can combine both to get best of both worlds)

Tell us a bit more of what you think you would like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

2. Likes JamesWithASubie liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Welcome...

As for paint correction on a daily driver----get Blackfire One Step and a griots G9 with 6 - 10 pads.

That should get you set re polishing your car.

Tom
    Hey Tom, thanks for the suggestion! I am definitely getting the G9 after watching some videos and reviews. I'm a little unsure of an AIO as I have some deeper nastier stuff at the front of the hood that I really want out. Also, sorry for the dislike on your post, I accidentally clicked it.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Nice, I am in Raleigh. Let me know if you are ever in the area, I have products you can try out if you want.
    Awesome, I appreciate that! I haven't made it out that way yet but I've heard great things!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    I live in Charlotte!!!
    Welcome to the best world sir... I sold my 2006 STI some time ago.

You looking more for a sealant look or a wax?
    Paste or liquid or spray form?
    You prefer the protection together with the correction or want to do 2 separate steps??? (More options and durability as separate, but also can combine both to get best of both worlds)

Tell us a bit more of what you think you would like

Thank you! Why did you sell?

To answer your questions, I mostly have no idea yet. I've only ever used some form of paste wax but I know that sealants and ceramic coatings have become very popular. I'm open to anything really, it's still a daily driver so I'm not shooting for show quality but I do really enjoy seeing it all cleaned up and shiny.

For the actual polishing that's a big reason I came to the forums, i'm as bright eyed and bushy tailed as they come to polishing and all the different options of pads and compounds and such. An AIO would be great from an effort standpoint but I believe my paint, at least in some areas would benefit from a 2 stage correction. I have a few scratches that are very deep, i've written those off as just part of the car now. But i'd like to get rid of the swirls and more so I want to get rid of the little patches on the hood and bumper where I let love bugs (I'm originally from Florida) sit too long and etch the clear coat.

Thank you to everyone who replied also! I'm excited to learn some stuff and try out some new products.

Post Thanks / Like

I sold my STI because I wanted an Audi or BMW (now I regret that decision every day), I miss that car so much, I had a lot of money put on it, it was beautiful!!!
    2006 and sold it with 38k miles on it on 2018

7. Thanks Craig Encinitas thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It depends if you want an AIO and top it with something else or you want a 1 step and do the LSP apart.

I prefer 2nd option, an awesome 1 step for soft Subaru paint is Sonax Perfect Finish and because winter is coming I would use a Ceramic Lite like Gyeon Can Coat and use Carpro Elixir as a Drying Aid (that is 1 year easily), there are thousands of combos it depends what look you want, how you want to apply and durability you want. Im not a super expert but I think I can help a fellow suby fan.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, you had THE STI. I'm definitely a fanboy for WR Blue and the gold wheels.

My paint is tired but not bad by any means. I really just want to bring some depth back (I have the dark grey metallic) and have that beautiful shine more present without swirls and minor defects as noticeable. The old gal stays outside for the most part so weather of any sort is a factor. I enjoy washing a waxing but admittedly don't do it enough so a ceramic or something that will last and protect a while would be my preference. I currently wash with CG Mr.Pink, I like it okay but it doesn't seem to suds very well. I have been using P21S Concours Carnauba wax and I have liked the application but the protection doesn't seem to live up to what i've read, though this could very likely be user error rather than product performance.

I'm inclined to use more than an AIO simply because i'm exited to work on the car and some extra experience with the buffer and different pad/product combos will be good for me going forward.

Post Thanks / Like

CG soaps are junk man, they are loaded with gloss enhancers and they mask LSP. When youre done with it go to a pure shampoo, I like Nanoskin Hypersuds, also in the forum the mojority of people loves Megs Hyper Wash, grab a gallon and callnit a day.
    Problem with AIO is durability unless you top it with a selant. Wax only lasts for up to 2 months if your car sits outside.
    A good AIO combo could be Carpro Essence topped with a any good SiO2 spray sealant, maintain it with the same sealant, ECH2O as Quick Detailer/Rinseless Wash and a Spray On/Rinse Off like Hydro2 Lite, Wet Coat, Touchless Sealant or Super Charger Touchless (all those work fine) and you are set!!!

Other good AIOs Xtreme Solutions 3-6-9 Trifecta or Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions and the maintenance could be the same

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome. Definitely do the g9. I went long throw g15 because time saving, vibrates less, and ergonomics of the gg6. Would have done the g9 if it was available then.

If doing all the work to polish i personally would look into a coating. I did for my first polish and haven’t regretted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes JamesWithASubie liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorillapr View Post
    A good AIO combo could be Carpro Essence topped with a any good SiO2 spray sealant, maintain it with the same sealant, ECH2O as Quick Detailer/Rinseless Wash and a Spray On/Rinse Off like Hydro2 Lite, Wet Coat, Touchless Sealant or Super Charger Touchless (all those work fine) and you are set!!!

Other good AIOs Xtreme Solutions 3-6-9 Trifecta or Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions and the maintenance could be the same
    I appreciate all the information! Maybe I am misunderstanding but you previously mentioned you preferred a 2 step method over an AIO but it seems like what you're recommending to me is an AIO with a sealant or coating over top? Is that considered a 2 step? Sorry if i'm confused. I just want to make sure once I order some products i'll have what I need to get going and do the job right, I always hate having to order something else and then impatiently wait for it to continue the work, lol.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast