autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from Ohio

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New from Ohio

Hello all,

Just started getting in to detailing my own vehicle. I have always vacuumed and washed my vehicle weekly, but over the past couple months, started getting in to more of the waxing/polishing.
    This obsession first started in August when I started taking my 63 Beetle to car shows and I saw everyone spit shining their show cars, and then I thought to myself "never thought of doing that" (never been in a car show prior to this). Well, the obsession started, and now I am constantly spit shining the beetle before driving.

I have not tackled the DA's yet, waxing by hand works for me, for now.
    I can't justify the cost of a DA when I wax my car once, maybe twice a year.

When I started in August, doing the waxing/spit shining, I was introduced to Griot's products (interior/exterior). So far, I am very impressed with them. Prior to, I was using the standard $5 armor all (interior) and thought i was living the "pretty vehicle" life style. What did I know. Griot's definitely leaves my vehicle, and myself happier

Anyway, that's my quick run down

Shawn

2. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: New from Ohio

Welcome to AGO!

I’m in route to Powell, Ohio right now to teach a 2-day Detailing Class.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to google that one. Never heard of Powell. Just north of Columbus

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Shawn!

It's a fun thing to attend car shows. Don't have any car to show LOL. But fun to see all of the beutieful vehicals out there.

Be carefull as the rabbit hole goes very deep LOL. Depending on the condition of the paint on your Beetle a polisher is a usefull tool to keep your paint look awesome. It's in the polishing you get most of the gloss from. You make the first correction where you level down the paint until it's either defect free or as much so you don't get the paint too thin. Then with a gentle washing and drying with quality tools and products. You useally only need to be spit shine the paint once a year with a finishing polish.

Is it original paint or a repaint? If it's original paint you want to save as much paint as possible on it. But even then if it's not extremly thin paint you can get a good bump up in the gloss from it by just finishing polish it and wax it or apply a sealant. If it's repainted you useally have some paint thickness to do some correction on. And from seeing many show cars your paint and Beetle will stand out even more. Many of these can be in pretty bad conditions with swirls and scratches that's gets very visual when the sun hits them. And a DA polisher is often safer than polishing by hand. As you have a more even and less pressure from the polisher. And there are options that don't break the bank so much. Then it's the equipment you need to do polishing. If it's just a show car and driven sometimes in nice weather. You can do a panel or 2 at the time. So you hold down on the pad investment. But taking your paint to the next level is so enjoying to do. I would start with looking around for the different washing and drying techniques. And get that dialed in so you don't put in more swirls than necessary. You maybe already have this dialed in too. But it's useally to start with basics and move up. Cause it's not so fun to get a great finish and then noticeing that you get swirls in it right away. Then keep up with the details of everything makes the whole car stand out even more.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Where in Ohio are you located?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The bug definitely is a repaint, not the original color either. If I had to guess, it's a Maaco paint job. Flaws here and there, but nothing that I'd concern myself with now. It definitely has a clear coat on it. I can see that.

I've gone to a auto paint matching store to see if I can get them to match the paint color for touch ups, but that is difficult to do. It's not a standard solid color. It's like a burnt orange. I have another place I'm gonna try to see if they can get me a closer to the color touch up bottle. (this had nothing to do with anything )

As I wash and wax the beetle, I tend to think that a DA or machine type polisher would be very hard to do. There are no flat spots except for the doors. Everything else is an egg shape, and very small places to get in to. Making it hard for a machine. Now, unless I use a 3" pad, then that might be an option. But, I'm not sure how far I want to take that process, as of right now. I did clay the bug though. I did see awesome results with that. That gave me a mirror slick finish, when it was grainy prior to. The bug doesn't see rain/snow. Always in the garage with a car cover over it. I may not even need to spit shine it for every drive, I do it anyway. It certainly has no dirt on it that I can ever see. But I at least do a once over once I arrive at the show. Just in case. Towels are always clean, that's for sure

My daily driver is a 19 Chevy Equinox. Just got done washing/waxing that last weekend. Sure was pretty till the dust and dirt covered it I did purchase the Adam's trim dressing. That works phenomenal. I was impressed with that. I am not a fan of the wet/greasy look, so that left a satin finish on the exterior plastic trim pieces. Certainly never did that in years past on any vehicle. Learned how to correctly wash a car within the past month. Never knew I was doing it wrong . But this is only ever for myself, not a business, nor do I try and make money at it.

I'm in SW Ohio, totally opposite corner of you BudgetPlan1

I'll post up some pictures this weekend of the ol' bug.

8. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Autogeek Online buddy.

Love to see some pictures of the Bug some time.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AG forum. It’s a great place to learn and offer advice. If you can take one of Mike’s classes in the future go for it as you will learn tons of technique from the the best
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Springboro, OH!
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast