autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Here to Learn, From NE Oklahoma

Hello AGO,

Glad to be here! Found this site while searching the web for detailing tutorials...I'm definitely a total novice at detailing. I have to confess that for years, I didn't properly care for the paint on my vehicles - not out of carelessness or laziness, but mostly out of ignorance. Without knowing any better, I always thought that scrubbing the grime off in the driveway regularly, and applying a cheap retail wax job maybe once a year, was proper care.

Well about 6 weeks ago I bought a new 2018 Chevy crew cab truck, and decided that I wanted to learn a bit more about proper detailing and paint maintenance. My wife had recently gotten an acquaintance of her's who has a detailing business to do a full detail of her 2011 Camaro. It came home looking better than it did when it was still on the dealer's showroom floor! That's when it occurred to me that there was plenty I didn't know or understand about caring for a car's surfaces -both interior and exterior. At first, my goal is just to learn enough to give my own vehicles a proper, professional-looking detailing. Later, if my knowledge and skill justify it, I might try using those skills to start a side-gig detailing business.

A little bit about me...I'm a retired educator in my mid 50's. During the 29 years of my career, I wore a lot of different hats: Teacher, Head Basketball Coach, Athletic Director, High School Principal, and at the time I retired, District Curriculum Director. I enjoy playing golf, smoking/BBQ, and am a voracious reader. I'm a guy who still likes to find new challenges and stay busy...and that's what brings me here - hoping to learn from the many experts and professionals here. Don't know yet how much active posting I'll do...I'll likely start out just surfing and topic-searching and reading/watching videos. I'd rather not ask a hundred dumb questions that's been asked dozens of times before...I'll try to research past threads/topics first.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my long winded introduction. looking forward to getting into this.

Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here to Learn, From NE Oklahoma

Welcome to AGO, Red!!

You came to right place. And, if you love reading, well this is it!! Lol

I've spent countless hours reading on here. All of them well-spent.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

3. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from down In Norman

5. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Red!

It's a lot of information on here and you can learn a lot by reading. But the time comes when it's more learning to get it to practice. Which I think you as a teacher know. A good first step is to gather knowledge about washing your vehicals properly and safe. Look at the different methods and equipments needed to be used and what suits you. A single wash can ruin many hours of detailing with polishing paint and protect it. So it's a good way to start at the maintance part and see what works for you where you live and what you have access to. Just keeping it clean will be doing much of the apparence of your truck looking great. Then adding to keeping it protected and easier to maintain it with a great protection. And then to go the full yard and what's make a paint really pop and look amazing is polishing with a polisher. With the technology on the DA polishers it's safe and quite easy to get going and getting great results. And with a good polishing you will getting a finish better than new. Then lock it in and maintain it with washing that don't marring and scratches your paint again. And your truck will be looking awesome.

If there are something that you don't find the answer for. Just ask away either in a thread where the subject is touched on or starting your own thread. There are a lot of nice and helpfull members and staff here.

And watch out as the rabbit hole can go deep LOL

/ Tony

7. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome into the club house, Red!

9. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SeenRed View Post

Hello AGO,

Glad to be here!

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

Found this site while searching the web for detailing tutorials...I'm definitely a total novice at detailing.

With all the Facebook detailing "groups" out there, can I ask you, why did you decide to join this forum versus a "FB Group"?

11. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the AGO Forum, you'll find this community to be very inviting. Do not hesitate in posting questions as there are plenty of people here that had the same questions that you will probably have...writer included!!

As Swetm/Tony said "And watch out as the rabbit hole can go deep LOL", it's a very-very deep hole but an absolute blast to see what you can accomplish!!

Jay

13. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

With all the Facebook detailing "groups" out there, can I ask you, why did you decide to join this forum versus a "FB Group"?

First off, thanks for the welcome Mike! Always nice to get a friendly welcome from the Poobah himself!

As to your question...This'll illustrate my age somewhat...I just don't do FB at all. Can't stomach the drama. I belong to a couple of BBQ forums, and a golf forum, where I know the discussion topics are usually gonna be something I'm interested in. That's about as close as I want to get to social media. It's not that you never see any drama on topic-specific forums, but IMO not at the level that seems to run rampant on FB, Twitter, etc.

BTW, I've been watching many of your tutorial videos, and learning from each and every one...enjoying them a lot!

Thanks again Mike

Red

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

First off, thanks for the welcome Mike! Always nice to get a friendly welcome from the Poobah himself!
    Poobah? Last time I heard that I think I was watching the Flinstones cartoon.

I like this title,

Blue Collar Working Class Dog

As to your question...This'll illustrate my age somewhat...I just don't do FB at all. Can't stomach the drama.
    Copy that. The drama never bothers me as I don't pay attention to it. What I don't like is the interface itself. You cannot format text. You can display information in a linear fashion like can be done on a forum. Besides that, the general way people act on Facebook is tiring. Everyone is an expert or a cynic.

I belong to a couple of BBQ forums, and a golf forum, where I know the discussion topics are usually gonna be something I'm interested in. That's about as close as I want to get to social media. It's not that you never see any drama on topic-specific forums, but IMO not at the level that seems to run rampant on FB, Twitter, etc.
    Agree. One thing one of our forum members pointed out that makes sense is that it takes a little more effort to join a forum versus join a Facebook Group. This more or less filters people out in a way that actually works out pretty good.

BTW, I've been watching many of your tutorial videos, and learning from each and every one...enjoying them a lot!

Thanks again Mike

Red

Thanks for the kind words Red.

17. Thanks SeenRed thanked for this post
    Likes SeenRed liked this post