autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Greetings from Miami

Ugh. That's rough news. Is it possible to get away with for one shot, being ultra careful not too overlap my passes too bad? Or am I looking to possibly do damage before I even get going? Thank you.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I got a welcome from the OG himself. Thank you Mike. I have been watching your videos in advance of my project. I really appreciate your can-do approach!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatornek View Post
    Ugh. That's rough news. Is it possible to get away with for one shot, being ultra careful not too overlap my passes too bad? Or am I looking to possibly do damage before I even get going? Thank you.
    You won't do any damage. Quite the opposite. The machine will have a rough time keeping those bigger pads spinning without stalling.

The good news is, from what you describe you only have minor defects. (Swirls). I would think you could tackle these with the 6" set up. Only with more passes as you won't be able to use as much pressure. (Not that you need a ton of pressure anyway).
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

4. Likes LSNAutoDetailing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Listen, I've been doing the same "hand wash & wax" job the same way for 20 years. Looking at Paul's work, and listening to his reasoning has finally got me thinking outside my 5x5 box. Looking forward to putting a professional detailers shine on my black (the kiss of death of all colors) Stang.

Thank you Paul!

No problem! PaulMys is right, (we have a lot of Paul's here...) 5" inch backing plate with 5.5" pad, and 3" backing plate with 4" pads are my recommendations for the PC 7424XP.
    HD Speed is at #2 on the cut scale, (although many, including myself will dispute that due to the amazing results it produces). But you won't hurt anything if you follow Mike's methods and section passes (6 to 8) in a 16"x16" area.

Humidity will play a role with HD Speed, mainly because it's loaded with the sealant HD Proxy. My suggestion is to change out pads. I recommend about 6... You could get away with 4, but you'll see Speed gums up a pad pretty quickly. Use a moderate cut pad, and you will maximize results.

The only time you will burn clear-coat or cause damage is if you are stubborn and are insistent on getting out a scratch. The real problem is heat build-up. That's why we suggest 16"x16" section passes... Slow arm movement. Don't stay in one spot...

For your newly painted section (due to the accident) you'll find that Speed cleans up nicely as the newer paint isn't as hard as OEM. On the flip side use quality Microfiber Towels to remove speed.... You don't want to put scratches in that you just took out. This will be prevalent on the newly painted area.

Have fun with it... Shake it, bake it, stick a fork in it and then just do your regular washes (see Mike's posts on Gentle Washes, not aggressive). Then drive the car and ignore everything for at least 12 months. At that time re-inspect the car, and redo the process...

Love bugs in FL will also be your biggest issue... That's why I say get a high-quality rinse-less wash concentrate like McKee's 37 N914 and make yourself a 5 Gal container that you can refill a 32oz spray bottle when needed... Make a to-go kit for long trips...

Your path is just beginning....

6. Likes PaulMys, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A fellow pony rider.... I feel you on the black.... 1st..... and last I hope! I’ve used the LC CCS on my shadow black and they’ve worked well. Fell in love with my Griots boss pads.

I have the pad cleaner/conditioner from chem guys and it works decent. I use it for conditioner more. Get a pad brush if you don’t have one to brush between passes. For actually cleaning I recommend snappy’s pad cleaner... good stuff. That’s to clean when your done with them.

The brush you’ll use between passes and does a good job or if you have a compressor that does a good job. Still though, pads will get saturated and need to switch out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to forum!

/ Tony

9. Likes gatornek liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    A fellow pony rider.... I feel you on the black.... 1st..... and last I hope! I’ve used the LC CCS on my shadow black and they’ve worked well. Fell in love with my Griots boss pads.

I have the pad cleaner/conditioner from chem guys and it works decent. I use it for conditioner more. Get a pad brush if you don’t have one to brush between passes. For actually cleaning I recommend snappy’s pad cleaner... good stuff. That’s to clean when your done with them.

The brush you’ll use between passes and does a good job or if you have a compressor that does a good job. Still though, pads will get saturated and need to switch out.

OK. Learning how to reply specifically to a quote now. Good. LOL. Apologies for the "undirected" responses earlier.

Aha! A Shadow Black empathizer. Thanks bud. Its a part time job really! I've had to buy a custom Coverking just to wrap it during work, because a construction site came up right next to my datacenter. Ugh.

Sounds like I need more and smaller pads.

Do you know of any local retailers where I could possibly pick this up today? I had really wanted to work on this tomorrow, so online would be my last option, as Id have to postpone this (which I'd PREFER not to do...but also want to make sure I take every precaution with my car with my first time using a DA and cutting agents).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    No problem! PaulMys is right, (we have a lot of Paul's here...) 5" inch backing plate with 5.5" pad, and 3" backing plate with 4" pads are my recommendations for the PC 7424XP.
    HD Speed is at #2 on the cut scale, (although many, including myself will dispute that due to the amazing results it produces). But you won't hurt anything if you follow Mike's methods and section passes (6 to 8) in a 16"x16" area.

Humidity will play a role with HD Speed, mainly because it's loaded with the sealant HD Proxy. My suggestion is to change out pads. I recommend about 6... You could get away with 4, but you'll see Speed gums up a pad pretty quickly. Use a moderate cut pad, and you will maximize results.

The only time you will burn clear-coat or cause damage is if you are stubborn and are insistent on getting out a scratch. The real problem is heat build-up. That's why we suggest 16"x16" section passes... Slow arm movement. Don't stay in one spot...

For your newly painted section (due to the accident) you'll find that Speed cleans up nicely as the newer paint isn't as hard as OEM. On the flip side use quality Microfiber Towels to remove speed.... You don't want to put scratches in that you just took out. This will be prevalent on the newly painted area.

Have fun with it... Shake it, bake it, stick a fork in it and then just do your regular washes (see Mike's posts on Gentle Washes, not aggressive). Then drive the car and ignore everything for at least 12 months. At that time re-inspect the car, and redo the process...

Love bugs in FL will also be your biggest issue... That's why I say get a high-quality rinse-less wash concentrate like McKee's 37 N914 and make yourself a 5 Gal container that you can refill a 32oz spray bottle when needed... Make a to-go kit for long trips...

Your path is just beginning....
    Since everyone has just about said the 6 is too big for the DA, I will need to go out and get another backing plate. Let me see if I can locate a local retailer, otherwise I might have to put this project off. I also need to get more pads no doubt.

12 months, huh? So this is not a process I'm going to repeat for another year, huh? Am I reading that right? If so, it behooves me to better equip myself.

Honestly, a coat of wax was something I would slap on just about every 2-3 months. I imagine I would still do the wax with some regularity per autogeek's instructions, no? It was amazing to me the "surface texture" that I felt on my car when I did the "baggy test". I definitely want to remove all that 'stuff' before I wax over it, like I have been doing, incorrectly, all my life.....YIKES!

Can you please give me the full "cutting scale" that you refer to? The low end of 1 is "less abrasive"? High end is "more abrasive" or vice versa?
    I've only heard terms like soft, medium, and hard thus far.

Thank you to everyone for the gracious welcomes for a novice such as myself.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Miami

OK. Learning how to reply specifically to a quote now. Good. LOL. Apologies for the "undirected" responses earlier.

Aha! A Shadow Black empathizer. Thanks bud. Its a part time job really! I've had to buy a custom Coverking just to wrap it during work, because a construction site came up right next to my datacenter. Ugh.

Sounds like I need more and smaller pads.

Do you know of any local retailers where I could possibly pick this up today? I had really wanted to work on this tomorrow, so online would be my last option, as Id have to postpone this (which I'd PREFER not to do...but also want to make sure I take every precaution with my car with my first time using a DA and cutting agents).
    I don’t know how far but Autogeek is in Stuart. You could try advanced. I’ve seen the standard not boss griots pads their and could probably get the TW Seal and Shine their.

You would have to go to AG to get backing plate though

14. Likes gatornek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

12 months, huh? So this is not a process I'm going to repeat for another year, huh?
    Yes, maybe every 6 months depending on how the paint looks... But for my daily drivers, typically once a year. In between, (you decide the interval) is when you'll do a gentle wash (maintenance) and apply your LSP (wax, etc...)

New Video - How to properly wash your car - Rinseless Wash - Waterless Wash - Gentle Approach - Aggressive Approach

I imagine I would still do the wax with some regularity per autogeek's instructions, no?
    Yes.

Can you please give me the full "cutting scale" that you refer to?
    Updated 2/2017: Autopia Polish Comparison Chart!

16. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast