autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stepping up my detailing game

For years, I have done my cars 2x/yr. Track car would often get an extra mid season touch up..
    I have been very happy with the spring Mother's 1, 2, Collinite 845 job. In the fall, I would usually do a Mother's 2 (if needed), Collinite 845 job before winter. Because all cars are garaged, I may not do Mother's 1 every spring esp on the cars that park in winter. I have never seen the 845 "used up" yet.
    I want to make sure I give my new GTS the best out there so here I am!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stepping up my detailing game

Welcome Ddsski! Glad to have you here.

Sounds like you get the most fun out of your clean and protected cars by driving them for fun too!

Post Thanks / Like

When I finish my Mother's 1&2, I would love a 1 step prep instead of 2. But I don't want to lessen the result. May lean to SiO2 someday, but it looks like I can't apply this over the 845, so everything must change. Very cofusing market....Yes I have the obligatory PC unit.
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is information overload but trying different things helps to sort it out a bit.

I'm not familiar with the Mothers 1, 2 system but do use Coll 845 and love it. Is Mothers 1,2 a cut and buff set of products?

You might want to try some of the AIO's or cleaner waxes. You can still top them with Coll 845 for extended durability.

Post Thanks / Like

yes the market is overwhelming. and polish and seal 2 step is still my preferred method. I'm a menzerna guy though. But will admit that some of the new AIO products are getting more traction for my wife's car and my dd. If you're interested in changing it up, check out one or 2 of the popular aio's.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah a lot of options available to both polish and protect a vehical.

What do want from the protection? As in how does you rate what is important for you. Is it the looks or longevity or do you like to apply something regualary and the protection it self if you have some extreme contaminants in your environment.

As for polishing I'm not familiar with the Mothers 1-2 step. Here is the methods you do as washing and drying a good thing to have dialed in. To get the minimal polishing needed as in remove as little clearcoat as possible. And have a little arsenal of different kind of aggressiveness and pads to dial in the least aggressive combo that gets your paint looking awesome.

Tons of information and knowledge here and very helpfull and nice people. You have some cool and great cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I gotta say, I tried Black fire AIO yesterday on my Montalcino Red Range Rover Sport. Did half the hood and compared it to the other half done in spring via my old method. The Blackfire AIO is every bit as good AND BETTER than the old Mother's regimen! Still topped it with godd old Collinite 845. IT removed the surface stuff extremely well and once I learned to use as little of the AIO as I do Collinite, things went very well.

Looking ahead, the 2 reasons I detail cars are
    1. The topcoat is the protection.
    2. The 1st coat ( Be it a Mother's 1 &/or 2 or now Blackfire AIO) removes the swirls, light scratches etc that occur on cars actually driven routinely. Grit, grime, greasesap, tar, misc fluid sprays, dust (ultimate nasty is driving by a construction site with concrete dust everywhere) etc. I have been doing a lot of research on the SiO2 stuff. What I don't see anyone discuss is stuff like are they actually better at resisting the scratches and effects of 6 months of hand car washing, winter car washing especially? Or, am I going to look at a very highly protected car with lots of built up imperfections over time. I know everyone says they rinse off readily and even rain keeps things clean. However, when you drive 10K in the winter from CT to Me, you drive through lots of UGLY!!
    Is this where the full prep, polish and apply SiO2....then finish over the top theory kicks in? Or, will applying finishes over the SiO2 negate half its self cleaning properties? A water sheeting car with a winter full of defects is not my goal?! Seems like I am still going to want to do the surface maintenance biannually?? Even the GTS that has only been driven 2000 miles and has been detailed with the Griots show car finish over the factory/dealer applied Simoniz Glass Coat needed some end of the season love. I did a light Mother's #2 (Wasn't brave enough to use the Blackfire AIO on this vehicle for first use!) and layer of Collinite 845 and it looked better than it did at delivery! Maybe this is the car that goes SiO2 first? although the Simoniz is warranteed till 4/24. This forum really does bring out the auto OCD in us.....
    2018 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider Competizione Red, 2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrofoglio, Alfa Rosso, 2021.5 Range Rover Westminster, Portofino Blue 2016 Maserati GTS, MC Int, Ext Campio Blue, 2013 Lotus Evora IPS, Solar Yellow; 2011 Lotus Evora S, Persian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Well here goes. Seen as its winter in New England and protection trumps perfection, I will use up my good old Mother's #1 to prepare the Stelvio for a coat of Blackfire SiO2. Let the durability games begin. I assume if I get the January thaw and can get a thorough car wash, I can apply the SiO2 again if needed. Should be a lot easier than my old mid winter 2 step regimen. Time will tell. If this works as well as everybody says it does, I am going to feel like I am cheating!!!

Still can't believe how well the Blackfire AIO with a layer of 845 over the top came out on the Range Rover. Had car up at the dealership just after it was done and the manager came out. He was very impressed as it was parked next a newly prepped for sale 2019. Mine put the new car to shame!!! Granted the color is far more stunning than boring grey but.....

Post Thanks / Like

Hello fellow New Englander. I usually apply Collinte 845 or Wolfgang DGPS to my vehicles before the winter hits but this year I have a layer of Mothers CMX and it is holding up nicely. It probably will not last through the winter so I will probably pull out the polisher next week and prep the surface for a good coating. If I have access to the garage, I will probably do another Wolfgang DGPS application and let it cure properly. That usually lasts me until March or April. What I like about the Mothers CMX is that it is easy to apply and remove. It just does not have the longevity that I had hoped for.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the Mother's #1 base cleaning was typical...eeasy but damn stuff really likes black plastic. McKee's wxx remover gets a C.

But then the Blackfire SiO2. The first word in the package label descriptor is "Simple"....Why YES!! it is. If you can apply a Showtime / Finisher etc to a car in the shade which is pretty darn easy....THIS IS FOR YOU!!! I cheated the detailing gods today. Yet another example of how easy the young have it in the 21st century. After the #1, this stuff took ~45 minutes to wipe down everything ridiculously thoroughly. Back in the day....it took all day to get this result....and it would be shot in a month. We will see how it compares to the 845 Gold standard for winter durability. This stuff is so easy, it will be little different than my summer touchups after a car wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast