autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Back! From Detailer to (Future) Doctor

Hi Everyone,

I don't really expect this to start much of a discussion on anything, but I really felt like sharing it. I used to be super active on this forum, but stopped starting around 2017-ish when I changed my major from accounting and finance into exercise science with a pre-medical focus. When I was at peak activity with detailing I was working in a shop, bringing high-end paint correction to Kansas City first with KC Detailing working for a guy who didn't have a lot of experience with that side of the business before leaving to go back to school. I have been out of detailing almost entirely (thanks to coatings it didn't really make too much of an impact to my own car) but have had a closet filled with tons of detailing products teasing me every single day. After scoring a 516 on the MCAT (95th percentile) last summer I then got into The University of Kansas Medical School in December and will start this July and graduate in 2023!

I'll have one last hurrah before I start medical school in July and will document the process with plenty of pictures. I'm giving my younger brother my old car and I just got a 2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t. I'll either have 1 or 2 write-ups with one of them being something I've wanted to do for ages. I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on it. My plan is to do a full detail using only OTC products. Ideally I'd like to do it with a HF DA, Meguiar's UC and UP, and Ultimate Wax just to prove that super expensive products are not needed. I could go even further using only OTC APCs like Duragloss Ultimate Orange (my preferred APC anyway...), OTC clay and such but I don't know how big of a budget I'll have considering I'm about to spend $200k+ on school over 4 years . I'll probably do it on the car I'm giving my younger brother because I'd like to go with another coating on my new one. I could still correct with UC and UP, but I'd rather choose from my Griot's compounds and polishes and use my BOSS and GG6 polishers.

Thanks for reading this. Hopefully those write-ups will come within the next couple months!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I'm Back! From Detailer to (Future) Doctor

Right on man. Welcome back!

3. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

Hi Everyone,

I don't really expect this to start much of a discussion on anything, but I really felt like sharing it. I used to be super active on this forum, but stopped starting around 2017-ish when I changed my major from accounting and finance into exercise science with a pre-medical focus. When I was at peak activity with detailing I was working in a shop, bringing high-end paint correction to Kansas City first with KC Detailing working for a guy who didn't have a lot of experience with that side of the business before leaving to go back to school. I have been out of detailing almost entirely (thanks to coatings it didn't really make too much of an impact to my own car) but have had a closet filled with tons of detailing products teasing me every single day.

After scoring a 516 on the MCAT (95th percentile) last summer I then got into The University of Kansas Medical School in December and will start this July and graduate in 2023!
    Congratulations!

I'll have one last hurrah before I start medical school in July and will document the process with plenty of pictures. I'm giving my younger brother my old car and I just got a 2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t. I'll either have 1 or 2 write-ups with one of them being something I've wanted to do for ages.
    Both are a lot of work, the detailing and the write-up.

I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts on it. My plan is to do a full detail using only OTC products. Ideally I'd like to do it with a HF DA, Meguiar's UC and UP, and Ultimate Wax just to prove that super expensive products are not needed.

I could go even further using only OTC APCs like Duragloss Ultimate Orange (my preferred APC anyway...), OTC clay and such but I don't know how big of a budget I'll have considering I'm about to spend $200k+ on school over 4 years . I'll probably do it on the car I'm giving my younger brother because I'd like to go with another coating on my new one. I could still correct with UC and UP, but I'd rather choose from my Griot's compounds and polishes and use my BOSS and GG6 polishers.

Thanks for reading this. Hopefully those write-ups will come within the next couple months!

Already looking forward to reading your future write-up!

5. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats into getting into med school!

7. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!
    Our Lady Of Blessed Acceleration - Don't Fail Me Now.

Alex, from Northern Virginia.

9. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and great work!

Will be fun to see your write ups on the 2 cars.

/ Tony

11. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding!

I really like good news like this.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

13. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Conman! Great to hear from you again. Congratulations on everything you've achieved to date and I wish you all the luck in the world moving forward.

I'm looking forward to this project. Do us a favor though and don't let this be your last "hurrah'" for us! I realize you'll be getting extremely busy with school and career but keep us posted on your life and times. This place is like a family to me and I'm interested to read the exploits of my "brothers and sisters"!

Plus I like the fact you'll be using a more common, lower priced list of resources. As I remember, you've got a good detailer skill set and will support the technique discussions.

15. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Likes Celabe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll find that detailing your cars is good therapy to take the mind off the doctor stuff- it is for me.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack-Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4- Summit White

17. Thanks conman1395 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thank you everyone! I really appreciate it all. I'll definitely try and stay more active through the next few years. It'll be interesting trying to keep my car as clean as I want living downtown in Kansas City. Luckily I'll have garaged parking. I'm currently trying to figure out a way capture the swirls on my younger brother's car since it's a white color. One of my parents has a black car I could use too so that's on the table as well.

19. Likes SWETM liked this post