autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thread: Eric from MA

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Eric from MA

Hello all,

I've been poking around on these forums for a while but haven't made an introduction yet. Like most of us, I've been in to cars for most my life. I've always found some sort of joy in maintaining my vehicles. Its time where I can work with my hands and have a finished product to be proud of. Its a great escape from my desk job as an accountant. I'm 29, and it wasn't until earlier this year that I bought my first car that wasn't 40k+ miles, flaws in the paint, etc. Its a 2017 that had 7k miles on it, was used as a dealer rental, and was/is mint. Having this car has spiked my joy in detailing cars. Or what some have said, "spike my OCD". I've learned a ton since getting the car, and I thought I already knew a good deal. I've also spent a fair amount on supplies lol. The reason I bring this up, is because for a long time I've been wanting to get out of accounting because simply put, its not for me. I'm not a desk job personality and I find no satisfaction here. I think this car was my saving grace because for the first time, I think I know what I want to do. I've always felt, how am I supposed to know what I enjoy doing for work, if I haven't done it. I've got degrees in accounting and business management, I've taken courses during my time in college on entrepreneurship, but never gave it much thought. It was always a hobby for my car, family and friends. I guess I always had this idea that if I wasn't an accountant, then I wasted my time in college. Well that would really suck.

So hello everyone. I'm Eric from MA and I've decided to start a side detailing business. I'm here to learn from more experienced people and peruse the boards. I figured start small for now while I gain more experience, and see where this new venture takes me. Stay in the shallow end until I'm confident I can swim in the deep end. I'll be posting a thread on here looking for some constructive criticism and feedback on some pricing structures. I feel like what I have now is too cluttered, and I want to be sure my pricing is fair. I feel it is, based on me finding a few close competitors in the region, and seeing what their packages look like and their prices.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eric from MA

Welcome! I used to live in Hartford, CT, and thinking about moving back that way in the next few years, maybe Boston. I’m rather new and only a hobbyist, but I’m happy to help with any questions that I have experience with.

3. Thanks ek556 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Eric. I'm formerly from Randolph but now in Tampa. The old saying is that if you do something you like you never "work" a day in your life.

We're glad to welcome you here and you have found the best place to talk about it!

5. Likes ek556 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Eric from MA, I'm Tim from MA. Good luck with the new side business!
    Tim 2014 Ram 1500 2005 Triumph Tiger
    FLICKR Instagram

7. Thanks ek556 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Eric, formerly from MA/NH myself. Good luck with the side biz and welcome to the forum.

9. Thanks ek556 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Eric. I'm Davy from Taunton, MA. I too have been considering detailing as a sideline. Right now I have a full time job that I thoroughly enjoy (I am an engineer) but I am 55 and thinking about the future. Don't ever think that you wasted your time at college. Learning is never a waste of time. Your accounting knowledge and business savvy will make you a successful and responsible business owner. Good luck on your journey. It is great to see the entrepreneurial spirit alive and well in our young people.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I'm Justin Sherwood from Rochester Ma. Owner of Final Inspection Auto Detailing.

Congrats and good luck with your new endeavor.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

12. Likes ek556 liked this post