autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Old guy, new obsession

Old Guy:
    So for any old school baseball fans out there, I actually attended a Washington Senators game at RFK while playing little league.

New Obsession:
    Not new to detailing, learned a boatload from my Dad who was former military. That's right, you know it...once you learned the proper cleaning process, you'll forget your name before you forget it.

A Christmas present to myself was a new PC DA polisher, from AG, and naturally all the goodies to make it shine.

Maybe this weekend will be the maiden voyage for the Porter-Cable, if I can keep the freakin' pollen off ma'dang vehicle.

2. Thanks Dan Tran, gobygred thanked for this post
    Likes luckydawg, Jim w, gobygred liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old guy, new obsession

Good luck, take your time and dont get discouraged
    TONS of info on here to help

4. Likes gdvan01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AGO! My 1st DA was the Pc7424XP. You made a good choice! You will learn a lot from here. Once you drink the Detailing Kool-Aide you will become OBSESSED! LOL

Word of advice on your 1st DA Have patience and MOST of ALL have FUN doing it!

Pictures when you are done!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

6. Likes gdvan01 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!!

The PC is a great machine. Learning curve is measured in minutes.

Good luck.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes gdvan01 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post
    Welcome to AGO! My 1st DA was the Pc7424XP. You made a good choice! You will learn a lot from here. Once you drink the Detailing Kool-Aide you will become OBSESSED! LOL

Word of advice on your 1st DA Have patience and MOST of ALL have FUN doing it!

Pictures when you are done!
    You got it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gdvan01 View Post
    Old Guy:
    So for any old school baseball fans out there, I actually attended a Washington Senators game at RFK while playing little league.
    Frank Howard?

11. Likes gdvan01 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by gdvan01 View Post

A Christmas present to myself was a new PC DA polisher, from AG, and naturally all the goodies to make it shine.

Maybe this weekend will be the maiden voyage for the Porter-Cable, if I can keep the freakin' pollen off ma'dang vehicle.

Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

In my humble opinion, this is the BEST online destination to learn the craft of detailing and the art of polishing paint. The people here are friendly and helpful and we don't ever allow the kind of riff raff you fine on other social media touch points to hang out here.

Last year I wrote the below article, while it references the Griot's Garage polisher (it has the most power for this category of polishers), it is a copy of the Porter Cable unit you own. Also the video in the below link showcases a Porter Cable. The key to getting GREAT results with the Porter Cable polisher is to use a 5" backing plate and outfit it with 5.5" thin pads. The good news is there are a LOT of thin pads on the market now days. It wasn't like this just 10 years ago when all we had to choose from were these HUMONGOUS thick foam pads. Thick foam pads absorb the energy coming out of the polisher and DISSIPATE it and it shows up to your eyes as low, slow or no pad rotation.

If the pad is NOT rotating you are NOT doing anything.

I've actually found experts that will argue you can get correction out of a pad that is vibrating against the paint but they know that's as they say in the political world, an untruth.

Anyway, click the link below, watch the video and also check out all the rest of the information in this one single thread.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

This last week we had at least 2 people that joined this forum that wanted to know how to make their car's paint look good but neither owned a polisher. At some point, they will get a polisher and if they get the right one, (like a PC or variant), they will say,

Wow! I should have done this years ago!

Been there done that. And what I mean by this is I've seen hundreds if not thousands of people have that light bulb go on in their head.

13. Likes gdvan01, KBsToy liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Frank Howard?
    You know it!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Welcome to AutogeekOnline!

In my humble opinion, this is the BEST online destination to learn the craft of detailing and the art of polishing paint. The people here are friendly and helpful and we don't ever allow the kind of riff raff you fine on other social media touch points to hang out here.

Last year I wrote the below article, while it references the Griot's Garage polisher (it has the most power for this category of polishers), it is a copy of the Porter Cable unit you own. Also the video in the below link showcases a Porter Cable. The key to getting GREAT results with the Porter Cable polisher is to use a 5" backing plate and outfit it with 5.5" thin pads. The good news is there are a LOT of thin pads on the market now days. It wasn't like this just 10 years ago when all we had to choose from were these HUMONGOUS thick foam pads. Thick foam pads absorb the energy coming out of the polisher and DISSIPATE it and it shows up to your eyes as low, slow or no pad rotation.

If the pad is NOT rotating you are NOT doing anything.

I've actually found experts that will argue you can get correction out of a pad that is vibrating against the paint but they know that's as they say in the political world, an untruth.

Anyway, click the link below, watch the video and also check out all the rest of the information in this one single thread.

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

This last week we had at least 2 people that joined this forum that wanted to know how to make their car's paint look good but neither owned a polisher. At some point, they will get a polisher and if they get the right one, (like a PC or variant), they will say,

Wow! I should have done this years ago!

Been there done that. And what I mean by this is I've seen hundreds if not thousands of people have that light bulb go on in their head.

Thanks Mike!

I've been watching the vids and reading like a madman, now I'm all stocked up and ready to go.

My 2017 4Runner is Barcelona Red, can't wait to see how it turns out!

Forgot to add....I've already marked the backing plate with a sharpie...

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome into the passion! You'll soon be like me...old guy, old obsession. It is incredibly rewarding to do all this stuff yourself. For me being an old guy, I always keep an open mind to new things that this industry offers. Maintain a progressive mindset and you'll learn a ton!

17. Likes gdvan01 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast