autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Muscle car guy from Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    When I got the car it had the original 2bbl small block 350. I recently swapped an LS engine into it which is essentially an iron block version of the Ls3. I built it with forged rods and pistons and a little bigger cam. I did all the work myself including the wiring harness, but I did take it to a professional tuner. It made about 410rwhp. The transmission is a TH400 that I went through and added a 2,800rpm stall. Rear is a 12bolt with 3.73posi that I cut and narrowed 1" per side for wheel fitment. I'll add some photos and video a little later. I have a feeling the forum will flag them for the moderator to approve.
    NIce, looks like you done a lot of work, and doing it yourself you appreciate it more. Thanks for the info, yep just keep it a detailing forum although I think one or 2 pic will be nice for us older guys and if others object well then that should do it. You could always take a pic of the engine for "detailing" purposes and I am sure most of us wouldn't mind. If I am wrong I am sure there are a few who would let us know.

Take care and keep it running!!!
    1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Mike Phillips

Hi everyone. My name is Clint and I'm joining the forum from Southern California.

I have a 1970 Chevy Nova with single stage paint I've completely neglected in the 20 years I've owned the car.

I stumbled across one of Mike's articles here on restoring single stage paint and I've decided to go all-in to breathe life back into the paint.
    For those reading this thread into the future, the article he's probably referring to is my original article on how to restore antique single stage paint. I wrote this article back in May of 2010 and as of this morning, March 22nd, 2018 it has almost a half million views. Here's a screenshot I just took showing views and replies...

And the thing about the number of views is that MOST people own and drive cars with modern basecoat/clearcoat paint systems.... so who and why are so many people reading this thread?

Here's the link,

The Secret to Removing Oxidation and Restoring a Show Car Finish to Antique Single Stage Paints

Since that article I've written a number of other articles on the topic of restoring antique single stage paint and I created an "index" thread that lists all of them in on place,

All Mike Phillips #7 Show Car Glaze Articles in one place

Thank you for providing this site. I look forward to being part of the community!

You know, with the introduction of Facebook Groups just a few years ago forum participation has decreased. That doesn't mean Facebook Groups are better, and in my opinion they are worse as far as sharing any kind of substantial information, but they are easier to use if you have a phone and a thumb.

Try to find anything you posted or found on a FB Group a year ago or longer? Pretty tough to do. Yet Google can find articles I've written all the way back to 2004 and even 2002. Besides finding "stuff" with FB you cannot share information in a linear fashion or format text and while most people don't need these features, someone that writes articles and provides education does need these types of features.

So thank you for joining our forum and sharing your car story, I'm confident that not only will it be here as long as Autogeek exists but because people can find it - it will inspire others to follow in your successful footsteps...

So far I've gotten through strip wash, clay bar, and an overnight soak in Maguiars No 7.

I am floored at the results so far - I had no idea this paint could shine again!

And that is the secret of the TS oils found in the Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze. The ONLY product I know that was around during the time of the Model T (when single stage car paint was first invented), that's still around today doing one of the things it's famous for.

I can no longer count how many people I have helped to restore paint that is IMPORTANT to them with the product and the techniques shared in my original article but it is rewarding to say the least.

Nice work.

3. Likes JustJesus, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking car. Nice stance. I like the wheel choice as well.

So far, the results are looking good!

Your engine/trans/ stall/ final drive ratio.....all sounds like a nice recipe for some fun!!!!!

I, too, am in So Cal. And I'm a former Nova owner (Selling off the '67 Deuce was one of my bigger regrets)

Maybe some day we can meet up. Talk cars and detailing....and go for a "spirited" drive

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike for posting that link. I will go back and add that in a few places on my single stage paint restoration thread. Maybe if I do a good job, my car will make your index

With regard to forums, I couldn't agree more. In the "old days" there were list servers and I remember saving email threads on interesting topics, but similar to Facebook they were sort of a running feed that was hard to go back and find info from. Forums made information somewhat durable and at least searchable. I have written dozens of threads about my exploits over the years and I still enjoy going back to read them. I have paid for a personal server for the last 15 years or so to make sure my photos don't get lost or become broken links like what happened recently with the Photobucket changes (so much great tech lost!). Forums and YouTube are some of the best places to find information these days! That said, bad information can quickly become accepted fact. Lord knows someone will come across my thread and mistakenly think the way I do it is somehow the end-all be-all, simply because I took the time to write it up. Also it's very easy to think that information for the masses applies to my situation, when in fact the masses are dealing with a different situation (in this case base/clear vs. single stage) and so not all the same conventional wisdom applies.

I appreciate the interest in my car. Here are some photos from over the years. If you want to see more photos of anything in particular, let me know.

Here's the car last year doing autocross. At the time I had 15" Centerline Convo Pro wheels and a "big & skinny" raked stance. I loved how the car looked in this phase, but I have really gotten into driving the car hard and there simply aren't any good tire options or room for good brakes with 15" wheels. That's why the car now has 18"s.

Here is what the car looked like when I finished up the LS engine swap. I rebuilt this engine myself in my garage and significantly reworked the factory LS engine harness. The engine computer is located on the firewall next to the brake master cylinder, tucked back where you can't see it under the fender. I notched the frame on both sides to make room for a low mount AC compressor and alternator. I plan to get the factory AC system functional again, perhaps early this summer.

Before the LS it had a small block 350 that I dressed up a fair amount.

I think these photos might shed a few clues as to why I picked up so many "surface bonded contaminants" when I clay bared the quarter panels behind the rear tires. You can see at that time the car had the original 14" rally wheels in the front.

I've done a ton of work to the car over the years. When I first got the car (1998), I completely pulled the front end apart. I cleaned all the original suspension with wire brushes and degreaser, primered everything with a rattle can, and hung all the parts in my backyard for a painter to come by and spray body color. I wanted to have one of those pretty cars I saw in magazines at the time and I got pretty close with the engine bay at least. I worked summers and weekends at the local hardware store and took out personal loans to pay for my addiction.

The most recently changes include a host of suspension upgrades. While I had the engine out, I cut off, trimmed, and rewelded the upper suspension mounting points to improve the camber curves (this is known as the "Guldstrand mod" after Dick Guldstrand the racer). I added stiffer springs and swaybars, better shocks, and aftermarket a-arms to accommodate increased caster. When it came time to fit new wheels and tires, I had a really hard time finding any offsets that would work well for tire fitment on my car, so I stripped down the rear end and cut the ends off, welded new ends on, added disc brakes, and upgraded axles and bearings all in the same go. That was the very most recently project which allowed me to fit the 18" rally wheels that I LOVE.

Here are a few videos of the car:

Autocrossing with my brother in the car:

A very similar car which I can not confirm nor deny is actually my car:

6. Likes grisby, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bet there is (or will be) a huge handling difference with the 18" wheels at the next autoX you do.

I'm gonna try and make it out to a Speed Ventures autoX over at Fontana. Haven't checked the calendar, so don't know when the events are. But hopefully I can get out there soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I bet there is (or will be) a huge handling difference with the 18" wheels at the next autoX you do.

I'm gonna try and make it out to a Speed Ventures autoX over at Fontana. Haven't checked the calendar, so don't know when the events are. But hopefully I can get out there soon.
    i have been thinking about the NMCA West Autox April 14 & 15. It's not very far out though so I'm not sure I'll be ready or feel comfortable driving the car that far on relatively fresh changes (brakes, suspension, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the board!!, lovely car btw, where at in SoCal are you? I'm in plamdale

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics Good Ole American Muscle!! Now follow Mikes lead on the paint and you will have that baby shining as slick as she runs!!!! Good luck
    1972 Buick GS Stage 1
    1 of 728 made
    1 of 1 SCO color combo

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

The same thing which lead me here was the restoration on single stage paint. Have some friends with classic cars so will see if get to do an #7 rubb down

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in Ventura County

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12