autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hello! and the million dollar question....

Hello from Kansas City! First off, ive learned so much just reading and watching videos, this site is great. A little history,

I have a 2015 black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and lets say for the last few years it hasnt been properly taken care of. It was always washed and waxed on occasion like 90% of society does. Let me tell you since now becoming addicted, oh how was i wrong with doing things right. Ive since taken all the steps i can at this time to prevent further damage.

Now my question. I recently bought the wife a new truck, and unfortunately it has to live outside. Ive taken great care of it so far, properly washed, waxed and every other step i can to make sure the paint is protected.

Now like any new obsession, this stuff costs money and takes time. With the truck being an investment now and sitting outside, i plan to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible. Lets just say the wife isnt as impressed as i am with the quality and time it takes for it to look great.

So....How have you made your significant other appreciate and allow you to take the time to detail the vehicle regularly?? She tells me i dont need to wash it all the and tells me it would be easier to use (the dreaded) auto car wash down the street! (NO!!) Ive tried the "hey if you stop getting it dirty, ill stop buying/detailing the truck".....that didnt go over so well lol.

Any advice or is it a lost cause that ill always be going uphill. Thanks, and Happy Detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello! and the million dollar question....

Best bet would be a ceramic coating, since it lives outside and you plan on keeping it awhile. Look into rinse less washing, you can have the whole car looking freshly detailed in half an hour.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    So....How have you made your significant other appreciate and allow you to take the time to detail the vehicle regularly??
    Any advice or is it a lost cause that ill always be going uphill. Thanks, and Happy Detailing!
    First off welcome to AGO. Download some photos from the internet using a google search "clear-coat failure". Then show her the window sticker for the truck you just purchased.
    I'm guessing, like most trucks today, it was probably between $45K and $75K. Explain that while mechanically vehicles are no longer like the 70's (where they would run for 40k miles then fall apart) most vehicles are designed to last upwards of 200K miles, but the paint isn't and interiors certainly aren't either. Materials have their limits... You don't.
    Explain there are only "x" amount of new cars you will purchase in your lifetime. At some point taking care of what you have has greater financial and environmental aspects than just trading in every few years.

Next, start a detailing business, make her the co-owner and let her take whatever role she wants in the company. My wife is "Interior Gal" She LOVES the Tornador and the Extractor. I think an awesome trip out to SEMA (Las Vegas) really opened her eyes to all the show cars and custom builds that were there. She loves going to cruise nights with me, but SEMA was the real deal, not to mention the fact we had an enjoyable evening of dining and entertainment at the Venetian and Caesars Palace.

Once she gets the bug, there is no turning back. Notice the matching company shirts... except hers is the "female" version.
    Folks love coming to us because we're a husband and wife team. We spent 10 hours on a Merc R350 Saturday, and when the job is done, it's date night to our favorite brew pub restaurant!

Brenda (Interior Gal) finally getting to meet Mike Phillips!

And getting to meet & greet with this guy!

4. Likes ronkh57, SWETM, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    First off welcome to AGO. Download some photos from the internet using a google search "clear-coat failure". Then show her the window sticker for the truck you just purchased.
    I'm guessing, like most trucks today, it was probably between $45K and $75K. Explain that while mechanically vehicles are no longer like the 70's (where they would run for 40k miles then fall apart) most vehicles are designed to last upwards of 200K miles, but the paint isn't and interiors certainly aren't either. Materials have their limits... You don't.
    Explain there are only "x" amount of new cars you will purchase in your lifetime. At some point taking care of what you have has greater financial and environmental aspects than just trading in every few years.
    This is pretty good advice. I used the following approach:

- Like the bit LSNAutoDetailing mentioned, I emphasised the need to at least keep it somewhat maintained in order to get the maximum life out of the vehicle. Keeping it clean and well kept is as important as mechanical maintenance when you're keeping something for the long run.

- I kept the insanity to a minimum, and let the the vehicle get dirty once in awhile. I'll always wash it by hand, but I don't get obsessive over the cleanliness. I do what is necessary to keep it in good condition.

- I've used products like coatings that allow me to keep detailing effort reasonable while at the same time keeping the vehicle looking good. At this point I only have to do a full detail every 12~18 months which is much easier justify than much more frequent sessions.

Over time my wife has become used to the vehicle always looking nice and is accommodating when it comes to cleaning/maintenance because she knows I only do things when it's needed. It's also become a hobby and she realizes I'm happier, better adjusted person overall when I take an hour or two to wash the cars, or occasionally spend a day doing a full detail.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

•For me...the answer to:
    -I want my Spouse to show me (some more)
    appreciation—including my efforts in taking
    care of her vehicles—all boils down to, IMHO:

-Really, really show her how much I really,
    really
    do appreciate all that she does for me.

•Over the years:
    I’ve found out that the more that I express my
    honest appreciation to my Wife...the more that
    She has seen the value in (keeping) me.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi and Welcome to AGO
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post
    •For me...the answer to:
    -I want my Spouse to show me (some more)
    appreciation—including my efforts in taking
    care of her vehicles—all boils down to, IMHO:

-Really, really show her how much I really,
    really
    do appreciate all that she does for me.

•Over the years:
    I’ve found out that the more that I express my
    honest appreciation to my Wife...the more that
    She has seen the value in (keeping) me.

Bob
    Nicely said! May I steal this?

10. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post