autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Next 3-Day Competition Ready Detail Class - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

Next 3-Day Competition Ready Detail Class - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

Next class is May 6th, 7th and 8th

IDA SV Certification
    If you want to become IDA Skills Validated Certified then you need to also schedule Monday, May 9th for the hands-on tests.

Call Nick to reserve your seat before the May class sells out.

1-800-869-3011 x215

These three day classes go over more tools, techniques and products than any other class available because I want you to be successful in all areas of car detailing. The classes are intense and incredibly hands-on. There is very little sitting time. After teaching detailing classes for 28+ years I know from experience,

People learn best by doing, not sitting in a chair.

So when you attend a detailing class at Autogeek you learn a lot because you do a lot. These classes are very comprehensive and cover everything from A to Z, inside and out and top to bottom.

Friday

Multiple-Step Paint Correction --> Show Car Detailing
    Friday's topics focus on multiple tools and techniques from simple paint correction and polishing to the most advanced paint correction procedures.

Cool Cars
    Historically I always bring in very special cars for the class to work on including, muscle cars, classics and streetrods. The majority of these cars have modern basecoat/clearcoat paint jobs so everything you learn on these cars carries over to working on any new or modern car. The primary difference is the unique and fun experience of working on typically show cars in dire need of paint restoration.

Entry level to the most advanced tools
    We start with entry level tools and progressively work through all tool set to end with the rotary buffer. Each tool set gets it's own car, or cars so everyone gets plenty of hands-on time with each tool set.

Entry level DA Polishers
    This class session goes over the proper techniques for how to use entry level dual action polishers like,

Porter Cable 7424XP
    Meguiar's MT300
    Meguiar's G110v2
    Griot's Garage 6" DA

Machine polishing starts with these easy to use polishers and then progresses to tools which offer more power and require more advanced techniques to use correctly. This class is a foundational class where we'll cover the basics of machine polishing. This will provide students with a strong foundation for proper machine polishing techniques and as more tools are covered students will build on this foundation.

Cyclo Dual Head Polishers
    This class session goes the proper techniques for using the Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5 Pro as well as the Cyclo buffing pads. The Cyclo polisher is unique in that it offers two buffing heads with incredibly smooth, low vibration polishing. The Cyclo is versatile in that you can no only machine polish paint but you can also perform a variety of machine scrubbing procedures simply by attaching one of the four different brush offerings by Cyclo.

Griot's Garage BOSS Paint Polishing System
    This class session covers the new Griot's Garage G21 and G15 long throw orbital polishers as well as the BOSS buffing pads and BOSS compounds, polishes and waxes.

RUPES Orbital Polishers
    This class session goes over the correct techniques for using multiple RUPES tools including,

BigFoot 21
    BigFoot 15
    Duetto 12
    Mini 12
    TA50

Plus the complete RUPES paint polishing system including Rupes pads and products. The RUPES company is one of the most innovative companies in the car detailing world with top notch tools, pads and products.

New Mark II Series Polishers
    This year at SEMA RUPES introduced the new Mark II BigFoot 15 and 21 orbital polishers. During our RUPES class students will get hands-on time with the new Mark II polishers.

The Flex 3401 gear-driven orbital polisher
    This class session goes over the correct techniques for using the Flex 3401 dual action polishers. The Flex 3401 offers both forced rotation and forced oscillation making it a beast of a tool. The Flex 3401 is specifically designed to do one thing only and that's polish paint.

If you don't already own a copy of my how to book you can pick up a copy at the class.

How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher Paperback Book

The Flex XCF 7 15mm Long Stroke Free Spinning Orbital Polisher
    This is the brand new free spinning long stroke random orbital polisher introduced by Flex at SEMA 2015. Most of the techniques for using other orbital polishers will apply to this new offering by Flex. Students will learn how to mechanically decontaminate, correct, polish and seal using this new orbital polisher from Flex.

For each of the unique tool sets taught on Friday we also cover multiple brands of compounds and polishes including,
    • SONAX
    • Meguiar's
    • Pinnacle
    • Wolfgang
    • Menzerna
    • Mothers
    • 3M
    • Optimum

Students also learn how to use multiple brands for three different categories of paint protection including,

1. Car waxes
    2. Synthetic paint sealants
    3. Paint coatings

Students learn how to choose the best product according to the type of car and how it's used with special attention also paid to the owner's wishes. Students will learn how to educate their customer to match their services to the customer and how and when to upsell a coating instead of using a traditional car wax or synthetic paint sealant.

End of day Questions and Answers Session

Friday night catered dinner at 5:00pm

The class is officially over at 4:30pm and at approximately 5:00pm Autogeek will provide dinner served in the Show Car Garage catered by TooJay's. Here is the menu,

• Chicken Marsala
    • Grilled London Broil Sirloin
    • Mashed Potatoes
    • Green Beans
    • Caesar Salad
    • Rye Bread

Saturday

Production Detailing - The meat and potatoes of the detailing industry
    Production detailing inside and out is covered on Saturday including every step from start to finish to turn out a customer pleasing product. For the production detailing class I bring in modern vehicles that represent the type of cars you'll be working on in the real world. Friday is "fun day" learning paint polishing on cool cars but Saturday we dig in and really go to work experiencing what it will really be like to work as a detailer. For Saturday I bring in a selection of passenger cars, work truck, suvs and soccer mom vans.

Whether you're simply taking care of your own personal vehicles or you're detailing for money, it's vital to understand the importance of knowing when to use a multiple-step approach versus a one-step approach for the exterior paint. Besides paint correction we also cover all other aspects of car detailing including interior detailing, engine detailing, wheels and tires, glass, plastic trim restoration and also headlight restoration. I also teach the order to do all these step to save you steps and thus save you energy and time will still maintaining the highest levels of quality to crush your competition.

1. How to evaluate the customer and match your services to their needs.
    2. How to set-up your service menu to offer 4 detailing packages.
    3. How to evaluate the vehicle and fill out the VIF form.
    4. How to set up your detailing bay for maximum efficiency.
    5. How to make sure your shop is OSHA compliant.
    6. How to set up your shop for personal safety.
    7. Traditional engine detailing.
    8. Cosmetic engine detailing.
    9. Glass polishing.
    10. Headlight correction.
    11. Hand and machine scrubbing tires to prepare rubber for coatings and dressings.
    12. Iron X to chemically decontaminate painted body panels.
    13. Foam guns and two bucket method for washing cars.
    14. Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels to mechanically decontaminate paint.
    15. Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner to steam cleaning interiors.
    16. Mytee HP60 Spyder & Mytee Lite II 8070 to extract interiors.
    17. One-step exterior production detailing - Learning the correct way to use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax.

Sunday
    First thing Sunday morning we finish up any topics not covered on Friday or Saturday before going into rotary buffers and wet sanding. This includes,

Convertible top cleaning and protection
    Students learn proper cleaning and protecting steps for both vinyl and cloth convertible tops.

Tire dressings & coatings
    Students learn when to select a tire coating or a tire dressing for their customer's tires plus how and when to upsell a tire coating.

Rock chip and scratch repair
    Students learn to use the Dr. Color Chip System for doing touch-up paint repair for scratches and rock chips.

Rotary Buffers
    This class session goes over the correct techniques for using rotary buffers to do heavy correction work and polishing and how to finish out hologram free. For this class I tend to bring in large neglected work trucks or passenger cars.

Students have their choice of using,
    Flex PE14
    Flex PE8
    DeWALT 849X
    Makita 9237CX2
    3M Rotary Buffers

Wet sanding

Students learn what wet sanding is and when to use it. All the various products for both hand sanding and machine sanding are covered.
    • Wet sanding by hand using Nikken brand finishing papers
    • Wet sanding by machine using Meguiar's Unigrit, 3M Trizact and Mirka Abralon sanding discs.
    • How to remove sanding marks using a rotary buffer and polishing swirl free using a dual action polisher.

Certificate awards ceremony
    Each student is awarded their official certificate for attending and completely the class as well as their official Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp Class t-shirt.

Wrap-up
    The class is wrapped up, any remaining questions are answered and feedback is gathered.

Food and drinks
    Each morning fresh donuts and coffee will be available in the classroom.

Lunch is provided and served at noon. There's a water cooler with cups in the garage as well as two vending machines, one with a great selection of cold drinks and the other with a great selection of snacks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - September 25th, 26th & 27th

Class price

Autogeek's 3-day detailing class is only $1,500.00

If you have questions or prefer to register with a real person over the phone then contact Nick at,

1-800-869-3011 x215

You can also sign-up online, just >>click<< on the detailing class graphic at the top of every page on the forum.

Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes

Mike Phillips

Re: Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

Testimonies from our most recent July class....

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post
    This is my review of the July detailing boot camp.

Settle in for this journey, because I have a lot to talk about. But I can sum it all down into one word... Amazing!

I did a lot of research before I settled in on doing one of these classes. I wanted to make sure I was not going to be spending this kind of money and going to a place and watching a bunch of video presentations, and sitting through advertising gimmicks of a company. I wanted to be able to learn new things and be able to use them in a real world atmosphere.

You can sit and watch videos, you can read all the detailing forums in the world. But what you cannot do is have the level of expertise, or the products on hand that you get from this class! This class will put EVERY tool you want to try out in your hands, with an instructor giving you the proper procedures, and abilities to use the tool or product correctly. This is not standing around watching them do it, this is not about that at all. Each tool is explained, each product is explained, then put directly into you hands, and you are set free to do what you came to do.

When I looked at how the course was going to be set up, and was on the fence on what I would actually be getting out of this class, I did not believe we would be given every aspect that we were. We all look on the posts from Mike, we have read the past reviews, and we have looked at the pictures. But the pictures only show so much. This is 3 days of intense training, 3 days of hands on, with very little sitting time. As Mike said at the end, we were not even sure if there would be time to get to everything, because they pack so much into so little time.

If you plan to attend, be prepared to work! Wear comfortable clothing, wear shoes you can be comfortable standing in, or kneeling in all day. Mike sends an email out prior to the class stating to get a good nights rest before the first day... you will need it. You get out of this class what YOU put into it. They will give you everything you ask for, and more. I do not know of any other class that will put a basically pristine GTO Judge to a bunch of strangers, hand them tools that they may never have used before, and tell them to put a machine to it...and fix it!

Let me be honest, the pictures only tell part of the story of these vehicles. Some were absolute nightmares when they came in, and we made them better. This is not all about working show level cars either, the Avalanche and the work truck were real everyday cars, and they brought it all the way down to the real world of detailing.

Not only did Mike brain dump his knowledge to us, but Nick was right behind him as the Autogeek Wikipedia of the products we were using. If we were not using a product, Nick was still there to answer any questions for anything they carried, and even was able to give comparisons to stuff they may not have.

Every tool or product was explained as they were the company representative of that product line. There are no favorites, there are no "Best" it is just real world experience with everything offered.

The running joke of the class was "Mike has an article on that..." But its not a joke, he truly does his best to give you everything he knows from a lifetime of detailing and instructing. Try teaching a lifetime of your knowledge to 20 strangers... Not an easy task, and then try to do it all in 3 days... again, an almost impossible task. But somehow he does it, and does it very well.

If you leave the class with questions, it is because you did not ask them. There is plenty of opportunity to ask anything you want. Mike and Nick did their best to give the knowledge to everyone when the question has been asked 100's of times before, or even if they had never heard it asked. No question was ever treated as if it was the wrong question. It was always truthful, and always answered in a manor that was understood by all.

This class is designed for EVERYONE! If you have never picked up a machine, or washed a car in your life, to the professional detailer that puts food on the table for their family. If you are looking to improve your beater, or work on the elite, each aspect is covered.

This is a first class operation, and it shows. Confidence is gained through the class.

Some of you may be saying to yourself... why doesn't Autogeek do this all over... I can answer that question for you very easily...Cost! The facility is huge, the tool selection is outstanding, and the products used are all right there. I was amazed at how much was right there at your fingertips... But think about trying to do this at another location, and the sheer magnitude of the class becomes very apparent. We used an average of 300 Microfiber towels per day. We had 10-20 machines of each type sitting on the tables, we had chemicals, extension cords, vacuums, extractors, steam machines etc. Not to mention the static hoods and items used in the wet sanding portion. To put all of this equipment in a truck, move it to another location, and then find 20 outlets that will handle the power consumption, parking spaces, and a climate controlled facility on top of all of that is a logistics nightmare. Then find someone that is willing to drop their car off to 20 strangers with power tools on top of all that, and be of the quality that Mike works with. It is just not feasible.

Just to summarize all of this, if you are thinking about doing this... just sign up, you will not be disappointed.

Mike Phillips

Re: Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

Quote Originally Posted by TheCamel View Post

This is my review of the July detailing boot camp.
    Thanks Sean for sharing your experience. Thank you also for making the trip all the way from Iraq to Florida to attend this class and also bring your daughter.

Here's Sean working on the 1971 GTO Judge at the class he attended....

Here's his daughter Chelsea working on the same car...

This car came in filled with hologram scratches. It has an appraised value of $150.000.00

I used this car to teach my class how to use the RUPES Paint Polishing System.

Each type or brand of tool gets it's own car or cars for the class to train and learn on.

Mike Phillips

Re: FIRST CRTA CLASS! - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

***Update***

The umbrella name for all our training classes here at Autogeek moving into the future is now called...

Competition Ready Training Academy

Or CRTA for short.

This ties in with our new TV show Competition Ready on Velocity Channel and it also fits well because while we teach all aspects of car detailing, inside, outside and this includes how to do high quality production detailing the focus of my life and thus the focus of these classes has been and will be how to create a true show car finish.

Doesn't matter if you're working on a Ford or a Ferrari when you attend one of our CRTA classes you're going to leave here fully equipped via intense education and hands-on training to do professional quality work that will exceed the industry standards and raise the bar for excellence in this industry moving forward.

Plus you'll be part of an elite team of detailers that have attended the Competition Ready Training Academy.

Mike Phillips

Re: FIRST CRTA CLASS! - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

***Update***

For those attending the first CRTA class here's one of the cars you'll be training on....

1940 Ford Coupe Streetrod

Now that's a training car worthy of the Competition Ready name!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next 3-Day Boot Camp Class - January 22nd, 23rd & 24th

I'm in cant wait, acr is gunna be over the top, so stoked! ! ! ! ��������������

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - I am going to be registering for this probably about a week out from the start (busy paying taxes through the end of the year), and I am considering extending my stay to visit the Mobile Tech Expo as well. I only realized there was such a trade show because I saw it on my cool new AutoGeek calendar! From looking into it, it looks like the SEMA of detailing. Having been in the 12v electronics installation industry (among others), I am familiar with some of the specialized trade shows, and I know that some have valuable training content and networking opportunities, while others are just sales opportunities for the vendors/host.

What are your thoughts on the value of attending this to someone starting a new detailing business? Since I am already going to be in Florida, the cost will be minimal to add this in to the trip. My objective on this trip is to get hands on training and to network with people in the industry. if I only attend your class, I am comfortable the trip objective will be achieved, but it seems like a good opportunity to attend two significantly valuable events with one visit.

Is anyone else going to Mike's January class and then Mobile Tech Expo as well?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by austinz View Post

Mike - I am going to be registering for this probably about a week out from the start (busy paying taxes through the end of the year), and I am considering extending my stay to visit the Mobile Tech Expo as well.

I am familiar with some of the specialized trade shows, and I know that some have valuable training content and networking opportunities, while others are just sales opportunities for the vendors/host.

What are your thoughts on the value of attending this to someone starting a new detailing business?
    If you can justify it then I would stick around the extra week and attend Mobile Tech Expos.

Here's the deal coming from a guy that teaches a L-O-N-G 3-day, intense hands-on class. When you're in my class you're out of your chair doing real work and this is how you learn.

At Mobile Tech the classes are approximately 45 minutes long to give 15 minutes between each class topic for Instructors to tear down and move out while the next Instructor moves in and sets up. This means the classes are abbreviated but in my experience information rich. I actually have only been to a few other classes at Mobile Tech Expo because I teach 6 classes on Thursday and that leaves only a few minutes here and there to sit in on another class. For what they are, if the Instructor does a good job of sharing the pertinent information and if the students are truly interested in the information then natural reaction is the students will know where to go or what to do to get more information. And in this way the classes and the Expo is successful, again in my opinion.

Since I am already going to be in Florida, the cost will be minimal to add this in to the trip. My objective on this trip is to get hands on training and to network with people in the industry. if I only attend your class, I am comfortable the trip objective will be achieved, but it seems like a good opportunity to attend two significantly valuable events with one visit.
    You'll love my 3-day class. I can guarantee you that you'll get more hands-on training with more tools and more topics in three days than any other option available. I've also been doing this as long or longer than anyone in the industry and there is something to be said for experience.

I could never write down everything I teach in a 3-day class because so much of it is organic, that is that as we work through the tools and the cars information simply comes out as a natural process because that's how I work one-on-one with my classes.

Imagine reading all the information in all 5 of my current book offerings and getting all of that info shared in person plus more. Plus my classes are a lot of fun.

On Friday, the first day we have fun by working on the cool cars. For this upcoming class this will be,

1940 Ford
    1940 Ford
    1964 GTO
    1965 GTO
    1963 Impala

These are all streetrods or respectable muscle cars as they were in their time only updated. Saturday is Production Detailing and Sunday is wet sanding by hand and machine plus using rotary buffers.

I know most of the guys that teach classes and I'm friends with them and I do believe they teach a great class I just think mine is the best. But then I'm biased.

Is anyone else going to Mike's January class and then Mobile Tech Expo as well?
    Off hand I don't know of anyone... the majority of people that attend my classes don't tend to be forum people like me. I wish they were but alas they are not.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike - thanks for taking time to post your thoughts, and (as usual) you are a wealth of valuable opinions and facts. I made the decision early on to take your class. I've watched all your appearances and videos that I can find, and I have just finished your Show Car and Flex books. I'm watching your Principles of Machine Polishing for the second time and even bought one as a gift for my best friend! I plan to come in January and stay busy from sun up to sun down and then some for those three days! Hell, put me to work between the end of class and the Expo. I'll have time on my hands Having just come from the Mecum auction this weekend, I am stoked to be working on some hot rods and muscle cars in the class! I found myself looking at body lines and finishes even harder this year and was pretty surprised at how well finished the majority of the cars at Mecum were. But my critical eye still got a lot of exercise...

I hope to be the exception in that I plan to be active on the forum moving forward. I think it will be interesting for me and others to see my new venture and how it works out.

I think I will extend the trip. Looking into Expo now...

Good thing we got Disney out of our system last June or I would be dragging the wife and kids along!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast