autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - July 17th, 18th & 19th

Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - July 17th, 18th & 19th

Our next 3-day class will be the 3rd weekend in July, starting on Friday and ending Sunday late afternoon.

These three day classes go over more tools, techniques and products than any other class available. There is very little sitting time as I know from experience,

People learn best by doing

So when you attend a detailing class at Autogeek you learn a lot because you do a lot. These classes are very comprehensive and cover everything from A to Z, inside and out and top to bottom.

Friday
    Production detailing inside and out is covered the first day with follow-up on the second and third day as we work through a total of 6 to 7 cars used for each class.

1. How to evaluate the customer and match your services to their needs.
    2. How to set-up your service menu to offer 4 detailing packages.
    3. How to evaluate the vehicle and fill out the VIF form.
    4. Full engine detailing.
    5. Cosmetic engine detailing.
    6. Glass polishing.
    7. Headlight correction.
    8. Hand and machine scrubbing tires to prepare rubber for coatings and dressings.
    9. Iron X to chemically decontaminate painted body panels.
    10. Foam guns and two bucket method for washing cars.
    11. Nanoskin Wash Mitts and Towels to mechanically decontaminate paint.
    12. Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner to steam cleaning interiors.
    13. Mytee HP60 Spyder & Mytee Lite II 8070 to extract interiors.
    14. One-step exterior production detailing - Learning the correct way to use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax.
    End of day Questions and Answers Session

Saturday
    Saturday's topics switch from production detailing to a focus on tools and techniques for more advanced paint correction procedures.

Multiple-Step Paint Correction - Show Car Detailing
    We start with entry level tools and progressively work through all tool set to end with the rotary buffer. Each tool set gets it's own car, or cars so everyone gets plenty of hands-on time with each tool set.

Entry level DA Polishers - Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's MT300, Meguiar's G110v2, Griot's Garage 6" DA

Dual Head Polishers - Cyclo Orbital Polisher Model 5 Pro

Rupes Orbital Polishers including - Bigfoot 21, 15, Duetto, Mini and TA 50 Orbital polishers plus the complete Rupes paint polishing system including Rupes pads and products.

Gear-driven orbital polishers - Flex 3401 forced rotation and forced oscillation dual action orbital polisher is a beast of a tool that is specifically designed to do one thing only and that's polish paint.

Rotary Buffers - Including, Flex PE14, Flex PE8, DeWALT 849X, Makita 9237CX2, and 3M Rotary Buffers

Sunday

Convertible top care
    We cover cleaning and protecting both vinyl and cloth convertible tops.

Tire dressings & coatings
    How to coat tires using DP Tire Coating or use a tire dressing to complete the finished look.

Rock chip and scratch repair
    How to use the Dr. Color Chip System for doing touch-up paint repair.

Wet sanding
    • Wet sanding by hand
    • Wet sanding by machine
    • Removing sanding marks with a rotary buffer and polishing swirl free using a dual action polisher.

Certificate awards ceremony
    Each student is awarded their official certificate for attending and completely the class as well as their official Mike Phillips Detailing Boot Camp Class t-shirt.

Wrap-up
    The class is wrapped up, any remaining questions are answered and feedback is gathered.

Food and drink
    Each day morning fresh donuts and coffee will be available in the classroom.

Lunch is provided and served at noon. There's a water cooler with cups in the garage as well as two vending machines, one with a great selection of cold drinks and the other with a great selection of snacks.

Mike Phillips

Re: Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - July 17th, 18th & 19th

Pictures from the May 2015 class

Cyclo Polishers on a 1956 Chevy Bel Air Convertible

Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polishers on a 1955 Chevy Bel Air

The Flex 3401 on a 1955 Chevy 210

Rotary buffers on a 1987 Chevy Silverado

More pictures here,

Pictures & Comments: May 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!

And here....

Pictures From Detailing Boot Camp Classes

Mike Phillips

Testimonies from students that attended the May 2015 class

Quote Originally Posted by DRamsey View Post

Hello all, my name is David Ramsey and I'm attending the first 3 day boot camp.

I thought I'd take extensive notes and publish a ton of pictures to document the class, but to be honest, I've been too busy.

The class is very well organized, and Mike and Nick have done a great job lining things up so they flow seamlessly. The class is full of some very high caliber people, who are hard working, smart, and overall good people. I'd invite anyone here to my home for dinner.

We covered production detailing today and I'm tired. It is amazing how much 15-20 people can do working at one time.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Thank you to Mike and Nick for all the work they put in to make this class happen.

Quote Originally Posted by emezas View Post

Hi All,

This is Erny and we are about to start day 3 of the boot camp. I am sure many people have looked at this boot camp over and over and cogitated on whether or not it's for them, are they going to learn things, is it worth it? etc.

I can tell you this - I have never seen such a diverse group of people in such a course. From car wash owners, to enthusiasts, to aspiring detailers. You will come out of this with not only vast experience on how to use all the tools (and I mean all the tools, more to come on that) but the best techniques that allow you to maximize those tools.

Don't forget that not only are you getting a brain dump from Mike and Nick who obviously have a wealth of knowledge and experience, but you learn from those around you... what products they use, how they market in their area, experiences they have had, etc.

In regards to the tools, I was so impressed by how the products and tools are in abundance for you to use. There is no holding back on using the high end products needed to bring these cars to life, you'll have access to great product without having to make large investments to "test it out" yourself. If you weren't sure if you wanted to invest in a Rupes DA or a Flex 3401, I promise you this class will help you with that decision hands down.

Same goes for polishes, waxes, etc. I can go on and on, but make this investment in YOURSELF!! Use what you learn both in regards to product and technique and you'll get the investment back ten fold.

I'll post again after today but having a great time and meeting great people.

Thanks Mike and Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by axel06 View Post

Wow had an amazing time, thank you very much it was non stop polishing, Mike had every tool in the world there to try and use, if you never been to boot camp you need to, you will love it.

So much fun learning the correct way to compound, polish, wax. Steam clean and condition leather, interior detailing tools mike just kept bringing out extractors, blow dryers and everything you would need to get the job done right.

Autogeek rocks !!!!!!

Saweeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Roikins View Post

So sad it's over,but all I can say it was one of the best experience on my life. It was so well organized, everything was taking care of, I am so glad I participated there !!!

Thank you Mike and Nick for make its happen and I know so much more than I did before, I am so glad I was there !! The best thing what happened recently in my life!!!

Thank you once again !!! I even don't know other places where I could get so much info and hands on training !!! It's the best you can get!!! Thank you !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Renozx12 View Post

Hi my name is Rinardo,

I attended the boat, and car detailing boot camp classes and I had a amazing time at both. I learned so much from Mike and Nick, they answered all of my many question. The knowledge that these two gentleman have is amazing, they are very down to earth guys! They don't make you feel stupid when you ask a question. And this place is humongous, its larger then any walmart you have ever seen. We were working on classic cars, turning trash to glass. You could see your self in the paint like a mirror.

If your planning on detailing for money of just to maintain you own car, this is class is a must. I've been cleaning and waxing cars for decades, I'm on another level with car care now. If you own a BLACK car sign up before its to late to save you paint. This class is worth every pen and then some. They feed use breakfast and lunch, one day they even had dinner catered for us. They actually took the time to get to know use on a personal level.

I even had the opportunity to meet the CEO Bob McKee, he welcome me with open arms. He told me to spread the passion to the younger generation. I would like Bob to know soon as I got back home from my 13 hour drive, I returned my rental car. I saw a young man in the back washing the cars with dirty water and a brush. I told him I just got back from Autogeek, and if you are serious about car care and learning this craft. There's a forum and how to video's, and to look up Mike Phillips on YouTube. He is the Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers of the polishing paint and car care world.

I drop my tuck off to get some paint work done, and the guys where out there sanding by hand, I told them to get a DA. And to call Nick he could help them out with products and pricing. I will forever be promoting Autogeek. I can't say thank you enough to Mike Nick. And a special thanks to Andre and Danielle, thank you for you great customer service. I hope Mr. McKee read this and gives you guys a raise, you truly deserve it for going that extra mile for me. My birthday is July 19, that's the next boot camp class. I would love to come down again to attended that class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan@FiveStarShine View Post

As Erny mentioned, I thought it was pretty cool to learn, not only from Mike and Nick, but also from other's in the class and their professional experiences. I really enjoyed being able to use all of the different tools and products and compare each of them. I was really curious about using a rotary buffer and when we got a chance to use it and be instructed on proper usage of it I was amazed at how easy it was to create awesome results. It just takes a little hands on experience and guidance from Mike and Nick.

When I initially signed up for the class I was a little worried about whether or not I would learn more than one or two things. I have been reading Mike's forum posts on Meguiar's since about 2006 and then his articles over here at Autogeek. He has already provided so much information I was afraid there wasn't much more to learn! The good news is that if you do decide to go to class you will learn even more, not just about techniques, but about new products as well.

Nick showed us the DP Tire Coating and I was blown away by it. I did not know about this product and I am hooked after seeing it in person. I was also hesitant to do anything related to paint coatings due to the cost. When I saw how little you need to use and the amazing results the paint coating provided my mind was instantly changed. I also learned a few minor techniques about using some products I was not very familiar with as well as a few ways to market some of these products.

Another thing I learned is that if you have any questions, at all, about any product Nick is the guy to contact. Nick knows his stuff and is extremely helpful. I will not hesitate to reach out to Nick if I ever have any questions about what product to use for which situation etc.

I also didn't realize how large of an operation Autogeek is. We were able to take a tour and I had no clue that their warehouse was as large as it is. I didn't know they had so many staff members. I didn't know the volume of items that they sell. I didn't know that the Autogeek brands are formulated to be the best and are not just a "knock off" brand. After getting a chance to use so many of the products in class and compare them to other products I currently use I will definitely be adding a few DP/Pinnacle/Wolfgang/Blackfire products to my supply closet.

The best part is that even if you are working with something you have already read an article or book about you can grab Mike or Nick and get a second set of eyes on your work. You have two experts who can watch your technique and help you perfect the tool or product you are using to save you time, money and effort.

As someone who has been correcting automotive finishes as a hobby for the last 9 years and looking to turn this hobby into a successful business venture, I know that this boot camp has definitely jump started my learning curve. I was a little hesitant about spending the money, but afterwards I am definitely glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Wamp View Post

I just attended the May 2015 Detailing Boot Camp.

What a awesome experience. Mike and Nick did a great job, 3 days packed full of information. If your new to the detailing world like I am this will shave years off your learning curve.

If your a old hat to the industry surely you will pick up some new information.

I'll definitely be back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hamlin View Post

This was my third boot camp with Mike.

It amazes me how much I took away from this class. The key to being successful in anything that you do is to never stop learning, and Mike makes sure that there is always something new to take away from his class.

The three day format was a relief from the two day, the class felt less rushed and more informative.

Truly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Dave

More to come....

Mike Phillips

Training Cars for the July class

2005 Chevy SSR
    This Chevy SSR belongs tofriendrend John and mechanically it's in super shape but as you can see it needs some help in the finish aspect.

More cars to be added as soon as I get the time to process the pictures.

Mike Phillips

Testimonies from people that have attended out detailing classes here at Autogeek.

Quote Originally Posted by Safari Car Wash View Post
    Hello Mike,

Took a bit of time to get back to the computer to sign up for the forum, as we hit the ground running, after attending the Detailing Boot Camp last week. So I've decided to take the time for a few thoughts.

Firstly, I would like to extend my gratitude and thanks to you and the rest of the Autogeek crew for an informative, professional, and encompassing program.

When we set out to resurrect our detailing department,which has been in-operational since hurricane Katrina, I knew we needed something that would give us the edge over our competitors.

Simply saying that you can detail a car is just not enough. Our clientele are high-end production autos, a number of high-dollar SIV's such as Ferrari, Porsche, etc, and a very demanding customer base. We actually have Bentley's come through our tunnel! So there is no room for error.

Our customers maintain high expectations and demand explicit attention to detail. Simply put, we have to be the best! And weeks of research led us to attending your class.

With expectations as high as ours, you would have expected some sort of disappointment. Quite the contrary, our expectations were surpassed!!

You have given us the tools, knowledge, and experience to return home with a program specifically constructed towards our customer base. We have no time wasted in attempting to provide services, or products that we don't need, or our customers don't want.

Probably the most important thing covered in your class, also something i have always preached:

Know your limitations, and match them to your customers expectations.

Instead of 30 or more products in our inventory we will never use, we now have about 6!! Coupled with a standardized procedure for evaluation, communication, and work-process, we are confident that we are launching the very best detailing service department this area has to offer!!

We have minimized risk, cut our process times, and will be able to deliver a product that will simply blow our customers away!!!

Thank you Mike, for sharing your passion and experience with us. It shall be carried on by us, with every car we put our hands on...

Many Thanks, and God Bless....

Tyron Benoit
    Safari Car Wash

Thanks Tyron!

Post Thanks / Like

Where can I find out about the cost and lodging prices for the classes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    car detailing class, how to detail a car instructional class, mike phillips detailing class, best detailing classes for detailing

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Wow... I can't believe I typed up all of the above info and forgot to also include the link. Must have been speed typing because I have hundreds of threads on this forum with info about our classes and always include the link.

Here's the link to the registration page on the AG store

Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes

Also, at the top of every page on the forum you'll see the below graphic in the screenshot I just took. If you click on the graphic it takes you to the registration page on the store. There's also a rotating banner graphic on the forum homepage, which I also captured in the screenshot.

Mike Phillips

More feedback from a past student of our classes....

Quote Originally Posted by Fos View Post
    First of all, I would like to thank everyone at Autogeek.net (Meghan, Nick, Andre, Bryan, and of course Mike) for the best time I have ever had in Florida (and I’m a golfer).

The Auto Detailing Boot Camp was even better than I imagined. New Products to try, new procedures to utilize and a hundred helpful tips were just part of the take away, from the weekend.

I have never been exposed to Auto Detailing before Boot Camp, except as a very uneducated consumer. I’m 58 years old and have never had a DA polisher in my hands, let alone safely utilizing this equipment on paint. Mike and his team had me polishing a 2002 Tahoe (headlights) in the first hour of the class.

Mike stated two things in his opening comments, and I will try to paraphrase;

(1) I cannot make you a detailing expert in two days, but I can give you the confidence to safely detail a car/vehicle paint.

(2) I will give you one hundred percent effort for the next two days.

My comment, to those statements are done and done!

I would recommend this education to anyone that wants to keep their second most important investment in the best shape possible. The best way for me to describe this course is, if Autogeek.net will have me back, I would like to enroll in another Boot Camp Weekend next year! S

o, whether you are a novice like me, or have been detailing for profit, you will learn new techniques and test the latest products, during your next Auto Detailing Boot Camp experience.

Fos

Mike Phillips

Here's another car for this 3-day class....

The reason I ask...

Is not only is Christine an iconic TV car but we're also going to have the car used to create Christine at our next Detailing Boot Camp Class in July!

Christine is a 1958 Plymouth Fury. These cars were originally ONLY offered in the color Buckskin. Christine the movie car has a custom paint job but originally it was Buckskin too.

Here's just one of the cars everyone attending the July 17th, 18th and 19th 3-day detailing class will get to work on....

I took these pictures with my camera phone but you can easily see the tale-tale signs of holograms which are a scratch pattern inflicted by the misuse of a rotary buffer.

I'm sad to say this kind of hack work is all to often typical of the type of detailing done to cool cars like this 1958 Plymouth Fury.

You can really see the holograms in this shot....

This is a fully restored 1958 Plymouth Fury with a basecoat/clearcoat finish. This car has the original 350 Golden Commando engine with dual Holley carbs.

As you can see by the pictures, I'm sad to say the last person to machine buff the paint left holograms over every inch of each body panel.

Those attending the July class will be the lucky ones that get to undo the damage and learn how to restore a flawless, show car finish using one of the below tools....

1. Flex PE14 Rotary Buffers
    2. Rupes BigFoot Orbital Polishers
    3. Flex 3401 Dual Action Orbital Polishers
    4. Rupes Cyclo Polishers
    5. Porter Cable - Griot's Garage & Meguiar's 8mm DA Polishers
    This isn't the only cool car the July class will get to work on... I have more in the works...

Here's the link to the registration page on the AG store

Autogeek's Detailing Boot Camp Classes

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast