autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips's Detailing Boot Camp May 5th & 6th

Mike Phillips's Detailing Boot Camp May 5th & 6th

Learn how to detail your vehicle inside out!

Mike Phillips' Detailing Boot Camp is two days packed with proven techniques for creating a show car finish! Expert Mike Phillips walks you through every step of the detailing process, from the interior to the exterior and under the hood. He'll cover everything you need to know to maintain your own vehicle or the vehicles of clients. If you plan to detail for profit, this class is a must!

In addition to 2 solid days of hands-on training, you will receive:

• $200 Autogeek.net gift certificate
    • Your photo on Autogeek.net
    • Certification by Mike Phillips
    • First glimpse at new products
    • And you'll meet the Autogeek staff!

The class size will be limited to give everyone an opportunity to ask questions and practice the techniques. The class will be held in the fully equipped Autogeek Show Car Garage located at our headquarters in Stuart, Florida.

When:
    Saturday September 29th– 7:30am to 5:30pm
    Sunday September 30th – 7:30am to 5:30pm

Where:
    Autogeek.net Show Car Garage
    7744 SW Jack James Drive
    Stuart, FL 34997

What to bring:
    • Bring a pen and paper to take notes if you like. All chemicals and tools will be provided.
    • Coffee and donuts will be provided in the morning and pizza and cold drinks for lunch.

Please note: Each participant needs to register him/herself.

By signing up for a class you agree to sign a Video Release Form upon arriving to the classroom for the possibility that these classes will be streamed live over the Internet and/or recorded for later use.

About the Instructor:

Mike Phillips has over 33 years of experience in the field of auto detailing and reconditioning and a true passion for automobiles. Mike has over 250 articles to his credit and he has hosted two full-length instructional videos for Autogeek. Mike has taught countless detailing classes since 1988 and has been a guest speaker at numerous car club events and car shows.

Prior to working at Autogeek, Mike worked at Meguiar's as a Sales Rep/Trainer for Oregon, Washington and Northern Idaho training body shop and dealership technicians how to use Meguiar's professional detailing products. Later, he became the online administrator and instructor of Meguiar's detailing classes. In 2009, he joined Autogeek as our Director of Training.

Mike has appeared on Two Guys Garage, Motorhead Garage, My Classic Car, Truck U, and he is the host of What's in Autogeek's Garage on the Fox Sports Network.

Detailing Boot Camp Course Outline

Saturday

7:00 to 7:30amDonuts and Coffee – Name Tags – Meet and Greet

7:30am to 8:00amInspect & Evaluate the Car
    Receive copy of Mike’s Vehicle Inspection Form (VIF)
    The number one most important thing to do

8:00am to 8:30amMachine Polishing Glass – Hand & Machine
    • Diamondite Glasswork System Machine Application

8:30am to 9:00amHeadlight & Plastic Lens Repair
    • Meguiar’s Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit

9:00am to 9:30am – Morning Break

9:30am to 10:00Cosmetic Engine Cleaning and Detailing
    • The 6 steps to a clean, dry dressed engine fast

Cleaners and Degreasers
    Ready To Use (RTU)
    • Detailer’s Pro Series Cleans All
    • Detailer’s Pro Series Engine Degreaser

Custom Dilution
    • Meguiar’s D101 APC
    • Meguiar’s D103 APC+
    • Meguiar’s D108 Super Degreaser
    Blowing-out and Drying
    • Metro-Vac Sidekick
    • Metro-Vac MasterBlaster

Dressings
    • Detailer's Trim Detailer
    • 303 Aerospace Protectant

10:00am to NoonCar Washing – The Correct Order

Traditional Wash
    • Autogeek Foam Gun
    • DP Xtreme Foam
    • Multiple Car washing Mitts and Brushes

2-Bucket Method with Grit Guards
    • Maintenance Washing = Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo + Two Bucket Method
    • Aggressive Cleaning = Chemical Guys Citrus Wash followed by IronX

Rinseless Wash
    • DP Rinseless Wash & Gloss
    • Optimum No Rinse

Noon to 1:00pmLunch Break

1:00pm to 3:00pmInterior Detailing

Machine: Cyclo & PC with brush options
    Hand: Multiple Brushes options

Extractors
    • Aztec Hotrod
    • Mytee Lite II 8070

Steam Cleaning
    • Vapamore MR-100 PRIMO Steam Cleaning System

Compressed Air Cleaning
    • Tornador Car Cleaning Guns

Cleaning Solutions
    • DP Carpet Extractor Pre Treatment
    • Detailer’s Pro Series Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner
    • Meguiars D101 or D103+

Dressing
    • Pinnacle Leather, Vinyl & Rubber Products

Glass Cleaning
    • Diamondite Glass Cleaner- Glass Master

3:00pm to 3:30pm – Afternoon Break

3:30pm – 4:00pm – Exterior Rubber Plastic and Vinyl
    • Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
    • Solution Finish

4:00pm to 5:00pmWheels, Tires & Fenderwells –Protect and Dress

Wheels
    • Meguiar’s Hot Rims Brake Dust Barrier

Tires
    • DP Gloss Tire Gel
    • Opti-Bond

Fenderwells
    • Detailer's Trim Detailer

5:00pm to 5:30pmCondition & Protect Convertible Tops + Waterproof
    • 303 Aerospace Protectant - Vinyl Tops
    • RaggTopp Canvas Top Cleaner and Protectant - Cloth Tops

5:30pm to 6:00pm – Questions & Answers

7:00pm to 9:00pmMeet & Greet at the Marriot

Sunday

7:30 to 8:00amDonuts and Coffee – Name Tags – Meet and Greet

8:00am to 8:30pmClaying
    • Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay & Pinnacle Clay Lube
    • Opti-Eraser & Optimum No Rinse

8:30am to 9:00am – Tape-off and cover-up
    • Tips & Techniques for using Tape
    • The Beach Towel Tip
    • Wheel Maskers
    • Plastic Drop Cloths
    • Tinfoil, Socks and Plastic Bags

9:00am to 9:30amDemonstrate Machine Techniques

9:30am to 10:30amCorrecting and Polishing Paint

Tools
    • All DA Machines: Flex 3401, Cyclo PC, Megs, Griot’s, Flex PE14

Pads
    • Microfiber, Foam, Surbuf, Purple Foamed Wool, Hybrid pads

Compounds & Polishes
    • Optimum – Hyper-Compound & Hyper-Polish
    • Pinnacle – Advanced Swirl Remover & Finishing Polish
    • Meguiar’s – M105 & M205
    • Menzerna – SF 4500 (PO85RD)

10:30am to 11:00amMorning Break

11:00am to Noon – The Protection Step – Waxes, Paint Sealants & Coatings
    • Souveran Paste Wax
    • Collinite 845
    • DP Poli-Coat
    • CQuartz
    • Opti-Coat II
    • Optimum Car Wax

Noon to 1:00pmLunch Break

1:00pm to 2:00pm – Handsanding & Dampsanding
    • Defelsko Paint Thickness Gauge
    • 3” & 6” Unigrit foam finishing discs
    • #2000 Unigrit Finishing Papers
    • 3” Griot’s Mini Polisher
    • Porter Cable, Meguiar’s G110v2, Griot’s DA Polishers

2:00pm to 2:30pm – Afternoon

2:30 to 3:30pm – Compounding with Rotary Buffers
    • Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer
    • Lake Country Wool Cutting Pads

3:30 to 4:30pm – Polishing with Rotary Buffers
    • Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer
    • Lake Country Foam Polishing Pads

4:30pm to 5:00pm – One-Step Production Detailing with DA Polishers and Cleaner/Waxes
    • Pinnacle XMT 360
    • Meguiar’s D151
    • Optimum GPS

DA Polishers
    • Flex 3401
    • Porter Cable
    • Meguiar’s G110v2
    • Griot’s

5:00pm to 5:30pm – Wrap-up & Questions Certificates

To register for this class call 1-800-869-3011

Mike Phillips

Re: Mike Phillips's Detailing Boot Camp May 5th & 6th

Next Detailing Boot Camp Class - May 5th & 6th
    How to clean interiors using extractors

Learn to use multiple electric polishers

Cosmetic Engine Detailing
    Learn how to safely clean and dress an engine compartment

Wetsanding, Cutting and Buffing
    We'll also have dampsanding and rotary buffer stations set up on black practice hoods.

Click here to sign-up for Detailing Boot Camp!

Mike Phillips

Comments from students from the last Detailing Boot Camp...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWax View Post
    Hey Mike and all the people at AG, thanks for an awesome weekend!

That class was incredibly informative, an awesome learning experience, and the $200 gift certificate was pretty awesome too!

How hands-on the class was definitely played a huge role in how happy I was with it, the fact that we all got to try out every product you covered.
    Quote Originally Posted by feslope View Post

Thank You Bob (Max) McKee for making the space, products and AG personell available to make this weekend happen.

Thank you Mike Phillips for planning and conducting a flawless program.

Thank you Nick, your help and knowledge contributed much to a smooth continuous program. Thank you Yancy for sharing some of our experience with forum members unable to attend.

We had a great group. On Sunday we did 2 stage correction, IPA wipe down, applied Opticoat to one half and C-Quartz to the other half of the Corvette.

The Carryall got Clayed, two stage correction and machine waxed. This was all done by 3PM. We pretty much forgot about breaks and did lunch in about 25 minutes.

Damp sanding and polishing out the sanding marks to a swirl free finish also went on concurrently with polishing and coating the Vette. Ag has black painted hoods on solid stands for practice.

Self motivation was also evident. A couple members of the class took it upon themselves to clean and polish the grill on the Carryall. WOW talk about a finishing touch.

Thank you classmates. It is a pleasure and a privilege to have met, learned and worked with everyone of you this weekend. Best wishes and regards to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRI View Post
    Hey guys I just wanted to say thank you for a great weekend. Detailing boot camp was such a good experience for me. Its a lot of fun to be around people who share my passion for detailing.

Thank you Max, Mike, Nick, and everyone at Autogeek for a great class.

Quote Originally Posted by bshattuck87 View Post
    Mike, I can no where near express how greatful I am for being able to attend this class!

I truly appreciate your gratitude, kindness, and patience for taking the time to show us what it takes to be a better detailer.

With that being said, if ANYONE is thinking about taking this class, do not hesitate. It's well worth the money & time, I can't not stress that enough

Again, thank you Autogeek, Max, Mike, & Nick for everything!

Brenton

Quote Originally Posted by Robert8194 View Post
    I want to express my thanks to Max, Mike, Nick and the entire gang at AutoGeek for the incredible experience at Boot Camp this past weekend.

The class was fun and instructive and well worth the trip.

Mike is an incredible teacher and his live, hands-on classes are a great way to learn detailing. The information in the forum and the videos by Mike are great but there is no substitute for having the expert looking over your shoulder to tell if you are doing it right or wrong. The benefits of the classes to me would include:

A chance to test products and tools to know what best fits your style and budget

A chance to get small group and individual training on detailing techniques

A chance to meet some great folks who share your passion for detailing

An atmosphere where everyone is welcome, experienced detailers who do this for a living and those of us who are pure hobbyists, and no question is a dumb question

A learning experience that cannot be equalled at the price.

I guess the fact that I have flown in from Birmingham for the past two classes is as strong of a recommendation as I can make. I would say to anyone who can get to one of these classes, you will have fun, learn a lot and not regret the experience.

But, don't expect this to be easy. It is a lot of hard work. But, if you are already detailing, you probably already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by slimer955 View Post
    I would like to thank Mr. Max Mckee for giving me the oppertunity to come and learn from the best. This two day Boot Camp was a great experience. And when you can learn from the best in the business, Mike, Nick and Yancy, it just dont get any better than that.

I am an amature to detailing and the amount of what Mike, Nick and Yancy were able to show and teach in just two days is amazing. Mike is a master at throwing a lot at you in a way that makes it very easy to understand and retain what he is teaching.

I strongly recommend that anyone in the business or just and amature like myself take his class, it is worth the price of admission and then some.

Sincerely

Danny Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by POE detailing View Post
    Thank you Max for putting together a great company! Your staff is top notch.

This weekends Detailing Bootcamp was a lot of fun,and educational for any level detailer.

These events, I believe do a great benefit to the detailing industry in bringing detailers together from all over to meet and share ideas, and also the hands on training with the huge variety of experiences with products, equipment, and an expert teacher who makes you laugh and feel at home. What a blast!

And to all the class mates, it was a pleasure to meet and to share experiences with you. Can't wait to do it again.

Paul Viens-Power of Excellence Mobile Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by aray View Post
    Just wanted to say thanks for a great experience this weekend. The hands on impact of the class was excellent, and I learned a lot.

Some things I somewhat "expected" to learn, but there was a lot of value I didn't expect. To some extent there are a lot of things "you don't know that you don't know". These are techniques that cannot be articulated properly in a forum or on a youtube video! A youtube video will not correct your technique, or explain why you're not getting the results you expect.

There is no real substitute for hands-on training.

As an enthusiast, it was also great to try a lot of different things that I would not have been able to try otherwise. I don't have too many test hoods at home to learn about wet-standing and compounding with a rotary. I also don't have the vast array of tools available at home that I was able to experiment with in the class.

Thanks Mike! I also wanted to extend a special thanks to Nick who answered a lot of my questions throughout the week and did a great job coordinating a lot of the logistics of the class.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    Attended boot camp over the weekend and I'm certainly glad that I did. The trip from Long Island was worth it.

There were enthusiasts, part time business owners (like myself) and full time business owners. Ages 16-60 were in the building and everyone took something away from the course I'm sure.

I got to try a wide variety of tools / products. More importantly I got hands on demonstrations on various facets of detailing from one of the best in the business. It's hard to put a price on that.

Mike is very easy to learn from, and the entire AG crew is top notch. Mike, Nick and Yancy all gave us the vibe that we were welcomed in the AG headquarters and that's pretty cool.

So we got 2 days of instruction, $200 store credit, autogeek certificate, meet & greet w/ Mike on Saturday night, tour of the AG warehouse, hotel discount, got to work on some classic cars and as if that wasn't enough...

NO ONE has mentioned the free gift! Courtesy of Max we were all given a 3oz jar of Blackfire Midnight Sun along with a high quality MF towel (split weave on both sides).

Thanks to all my fellow boot camp attendees and AG staff. It was a pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    For my first forum post I would like to thank Mike, Nick and Yancy for a fantastic experience this past weekend. Of course a big thanks to Max for hosting us.

Classes like this can vary greatly in value and execution. The value of this course was beyond expectation for sure, the time spent hands-on and one-on-one with the instructor(s) is worth the price of admission for sure.

The execution was top notch, a couple schedule changes on the fly with the classes blessing really kept things interesting and I didn't find myself bored for 1 minute of it.

Mikes ability to educate a mixed class of pro's and amateurs is pretty impressive and seems effortless, not an easy feat.

Nick was a great addition to the class, he's a walking Autogeek Catalog with with hands on experience to back it up. Great job!

It was nice to have a chance to talk to Mike at the meet and greet, a long day for him I'm sure.

If you can make it to one of these, I would say go for it. With the store credit and the gifts at the end it's cost per hour is under $10 and they feed you!

I'm now going to plan all my trips to Florida around AG sessions. See you soon.

Mike Phillips

More pictures from the last class...

Cosmetic Engine Detailing

Using the Tornador Car Foamer

Using Iron-X to remove iron particles after washing

Using both the Aztec Hotrod and the Mytee Lite 8070 Hot Water Extractors

Me showing to pull the extractor s-l-o-w-l-y over the fabric

Considering how bad it was the students did a pretty good job!

Using Tornadors to clean an antique vinyl interior

Claying after washing

Microfiber DA Correction Systems & Paint Coatings
    The class used the Meguiar's Microfiber DA Correction System on one side of the Corvette and the Optimum Microfiber DA Correction System on the other side of the Corvette.

After the swirls were removed the students were able to test out and use Opti-Coat II and CQuartz on the Vette. The results were flawless.

The students were able to use all the different DA Polishers plus foam pads and Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Advanced Finishing Polish to remove the swirls and restore a show car finish to a 1949 Chevrolet Carryall that started out completely swirled-out from the miss-use of a rotary buffer.

1949 Chevrolet Carryall Extreme Makeover
    After the Vette is finished we tackle the 1949 Chevrolet Carryall using Pinnacle Polishes and Flex Polishers plus PC's, Megs and Griot's DA Polishers.

All the paint on the Carryall looks like this...

These classes are fast-paced, educational and a lot of fun!

Get signed up!

Mike Phillips

Teaser Video from some of our recent classes and videos and... they always get better...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHma2mlPaI&hd=1]Detailing Classes at Autogeek's Show Car Garage with Mike Phillips - YouTube[/video]

Mike Phillips

This class is coming up quick, clear your schedule and make plans to be here.

Share the link to this thread with your friends on other forums, just don't break any forum rules in the process.

Post Thanks / Like

If I didn't have to photograph a wedding on the 5th...I would be there!!!! Since I cannot make this one, I will wait for the next and be first in line!!!

Tom

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be there very eager to learn from the best. Arriving a couple of days prior with the wife to enjoy the sites of Stuart.

Tony of Moore Attention 2 Detail

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Coming up on May 5th and 6th...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wishes there were classes like this in Northern California!