Wetsanding Car for the September 3-Day Detailing Class at Autogeek

To my knowledge, Autogeek is the only place where you can learn the art of wetsanding on a real custom car. Most classes you work on a demo hood or a cookie sheet, sometimes a rental car. I use all of these and they all work, but nothing compares to the real deal.

The problem
The problem with getting a REAL custom paint job on a custom car for students to learn the art and craft of wetsanding comes down to things,

1: Trust - You must first earn the owner's trust before he will let strangers wetsand on the brand new paint job on his project car.

2: Timing - We hold our big 3-day classes three times a year and always the same time, January, May and September. Been doing this for 9 years now and going on 10 years. The project car must be going into the paint booth about 2-3 weeks out from the date of the class.

Getting #1 is really tough for most people that where the "Instructor" hat. There's simply a lot of money involved and most guys won't willy-nilly turn their custom car project over as a training car for a wetsanding class. Getting #2 is also really tough, sometime it just comes down to luck.

The solution
Sometimes you just get lucky and this time... we got lucky! My good friend Mike Gelter is getting a streetrod painted and says he can have it here in time for the upcoming 3-day Detailing Class here at Autogeek. This will be around the 8th or 9th car we've had here at Autogeek for one of our classes to learn about wetsanding.

Here's how she looks right now before going into the paint booth. This is a 1927 Model T. It's nickname is the 1927 Tall T or Tall Boy comes from it's classic Telephone Booth appearance. It's a favorite among hotrodders to either customize as is or chop the top. This particular streetrod is keeping it's original height as the owner prefers the Tall Boy look.

1927 Model T Streetrod aka Tall T

Mike says he thinks it will be out of the booth and he'll be able to get it here in time for the wetsanding class. No concrete promises but he's never let us down in the past.

As soon as it comes out of the paint booth he'll take some fresh pictures and send them to me and I'll update this thread.

For everyone that has signed-up for the September class, this is a real treat. I can pretty much guarantee you - you simply can't get this anywhere else.