autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

1968 Mercedes_Benz AMG 230 - Unique and Rare Training Car Glass Polishing

1968 Mercedes_Benz AMG - Unique and Rare Training Car Glass Polishing

Here's another training car for the upcoming September 3-Day Detailing Bootcamp Class. This is a 1968 Mercedes-Benz AMG 230

1968 Mercedes-Benz AMG 230

With my SCANGRIP Sunmatch Swirl Finder Light you can easily see this paint is in horrible condition.

From this point of view, the untrained eye could think the paint looks pretty good?

Here's what it really looks like with the swirl finder light...

Glass Polishing
    One of the things the September class will be learning to do is to machine polish glass to remove wiper marks or wiper scratches. While it's possible to find an original OEM windshield for this vintage AMG the owner would prefer NOT to remove the original glass and all the headaches that could lead to. So besides buffing out the single stage black paint they will also buff out the scratches in the glass.

The owner has a hard bound book on AMG's and here's the chapter on his car...

I assumed it has single stage paint but as we all know, you never assume. So I put some Pinnacle Advanced Compound on a white microfiber applicator pad and rubbed a section and you can see the black paint coming off the car and onto the applicator pad. This shows the paint to be single stage black paint which by the way tends to be the softest paint there is to work on.

First day of class is Friday, September 28th. I'll probably save this car for the end-of-day on Saturday when we go over one-step production detailing as I think we're going to use BLACKFIRE One Step on this car. (the paint is really soft)

2. Likes mc2hill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1968 Mercedes_Benz AMG 230 - Unique and Rare Training Car Glass Polishing

I have worked in a few Milton Bradley dealership in my day and never seen an amg like that before very rare car looking forward to the outcome

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1968 Mercedes_Benz AMG 230 - Unique and Rare Training Car Glass Polishing

Wow, what a cool old Merc! Envious of the gals & guys who get to work on that one!