autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Show Car Garage BUSTING open at the seams! 9 of 13 cars for this weekends detailing class!

Show Car Garage BUSTING open at the seams! 9 of 13 cars for this weekends detailing class!

9 of the 13 car for this 3-day class are here and snug as a bug in a rug!

Arriving tomorrow...

1933 Ford Streetrod

1965 Mustang Fastback

2014 Hennessy Corvette

2011 Ford Explorer

NEXT COMPETITION READY 3-DAY CLASSES IN 2018 ARE IN FEBRUARY, MAY & SEPTEMBER

Reserve your space EARLY as these classes ALWAYS sell out!

Call Andre at 1-800-869-3011 x244

Class starts at 7:30am SHARP this Friday morning for those that are attending.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage BUSTING open at the seams! 9 of 13 cars for this weekends detailing class!

Well, I'm gonna sound like a broken record here but - Wow! What an incredible line up Mike!

Actually it's rather astounding that this is an actual learning environment & these cars, these super cool machines are the canvases that the class will be working on!!! Proper hands on detailing on some of the sweetest cars ever made with the best detailing tools & products available in the industry, & under the guidance of the one & only - Mike Phillips!

INCREDIBLE!!!

Everyone attending this class - enjoy!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage BUSTING open at the seams! 9 of 13 cars for this weekends detailing class!

Holy cow unbelievable just an incredible line up

Post Thanks / Like

I figured you used cars that are just hammered, definitely not I expected. Good looking line up none the less

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    I figured you used cars that are just hammered, definitely not I expected. Good looking line up none the less

One of the things I teach in my classes is how to properly inspect the paint for defects. Pictures taken from standing back and under fluorescent lights isn't going to show the true condition.

Your seeing the cars under fluorescent lights - I'll take pictures tomorrow using the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light

None of these cars passes the baggie test either.

I have a very long history of documenting the before and after condition of the cars in my classes. 8+ years here at Autogeek and 7 years at Meguiars. I'm pretty confident I have more documented cars and classes on the Internet than any other person with the word "instructor" by their name.

Hang tight - I always document my work.

I'm going to shoot a Facebook Live Video tomorrow too and I'll use the SCABGRIP Swirl Finder Light in the video.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not disagreeing I just would think I'd see more daily drivers from the past 20-25 years. I mean mine is newish at 11, at least I think. I will stay tuned for the picture and hopefully come February I can come down for a class

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

I'm not disagreeing I just would think I'd see more daily drivers from the past 20-25 years. I mean mine is newish at 11, at least I think.
    Copy that...

Here's the deal... the first part of the class is learning and getting to use all the different tools. In the picture below, these are not all the tools we'll be going over in this class but a portion of the tools and I think most people will agree - this is a LOT of tools!

Each tool set, for example RUPES BigFoot polishers is a tool set, gets 2 cars. This way everyone gets TONS of hands-on buffing time behind each tool. Now I could bring in daily drivers, like a 2004 Honda 4-door Accord and cars like these for the students to learn how to use the RUPES BigFoot polishers on but that would be boring.

Plus with ALL the tool sets we're doing MULTIPLE-STEP correction, polishing and sealing steps and by definition... this is called,

Show Car Detailing

So I bring in real show cars. I know one thing after doing this for so many years now and that is the class loves it!

BUT - I aslo bring in normal daily drivers like you describe. I had 3 daily drives scheduled but do to a snafu - I only have 2 daily drivers, a 2001 Ford Explorer and a 2014 Corvette. The 1966 Chevy Caprice - while it's what I consider an SIV or Special Interest Vehicle, we're going to use it to cover how to detail daily drivers and the class will get to use both of these products when we go over high quality production detailing.

1. Meguiar's D166 Ultra Polishing Wax
    2. 3D HD Speed

Besides bringing the real-deal i.e. real show cars for my classes to learn multiple step paint correction and a few daily drivers to lean daily driver detailing, I also operate under a philosophy explained in my article here,

Run what you brung - Use what you have -Mike Phillips

I will stay tuned for the picture and hopefully come February I can come down for a class

Hope to see you at a future class. One thing for sure, the cars for these classes are always changing gut the class is consistently over-the-top.

Mike Phillips

Like I mentioned above, I try to have 3 hammered daily drivers here for teaching how to do high quality production detailing but this time I have 3 car but only one is hammered. The good news is...

It's really hammered!

Detailing Daily Drivers for Dollars - A true professional detailer knows how to work on everything

Headlights are in dire need of correction...

Scott said the brakes were recently rebuilt on his truck that's why you see fingermarks on the years of brake dust built-up on the wheels...

This Ford Explorer will see the MOST DRAMATIC turn-around and will be a great learning experience for the class coupled with the show cars.

Stay tuned...

Mike Phillips

Continued....

I do my best to always document the current condition of the cars in our classes. I do this for a number of reasons, one is because some people don't know that in order to accurately inspect the condition of the paint there's a few things you can do. One is the baggie test. And each one of these cars FAILED the baggie test.

The other is to visually inspect the paint using bright light like outdoor overhead sunlight or use my favorite, the SUNMATCH Scangrip Swirl Finder Light.

This morning, upon returning to work, I walked the line of cars and put the SUNMATCH Scangrip Swirl Finder Light on all the cars and inspected them for swirls, scratches and water spots.

And... the Hennessy Corvette has arrived and also the 1965 Mustang...

There's room for the 1965 Mustang inside the garage but after this... we're full up!

Post Thanks / Like

Ouch, swirl city in the Autogeek Show Car Garage . . . . for now.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast