autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

  1. #1
    Senior Member LittleKing24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    101

    How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe


    Hi everyone!

    My name is Ryan and I attend the May 2016 Competition Ready detail class instructed by Mike Phillips. For those of you who are interested in attending the class, but can't afford it, I may have a solution for you.

    GoFundMe


    If you have never heard of GoFundMe, it's a website that allows you to start your own fundraiser. You can easily post your fundraiser on social media for the world to see, and donations are conveniently given online. Then, donations are automatically deposited into your bank account. If you're not on social media then you can just visit the website and search by name to get to your page.

    To create your fundraiser, you must sign up on the GoGundMe website. Then, you set your goal and give a description of what your fundraiser is for. There is also a tracker on your page that everyone visiting will see, showing how much money has been donated and how much further you have to go to reach your goal.

    My advice would be to set your goal a little higher than the cost of the class, to help pay for the tax the website charges in order to use their services.

    Why use GoFundMe if they're gonna charge you? Because it's a great visual aid for yourself and others to see what your goal is and how far you have to go.

    When I signed up and gave my description, I provided a link to the class, described the importance of the class to me, and most importantly, offered my detailing services in return for donations. I quickly realized one of two things happen....

    First it encourages people to donate because they get something in return. I never told anyone how much to donate, but just to use they're better judgement. Therefore, I did the best I could to make each vehicle look good without going above and beyond. I will say that almost every donation was fair, and for the couple that weren't, I didn't sweat it. Here's why..

    The second thing that happens, is people read your GoFundMe page, and decide to give a generous donation. It's a very appreciative feeling, as about 1/3 of the cost of the class came from generous donations for me. So if you're completely new to detailing and want to take the class before touching anyone's vehicle, then creating a GoFundMe page can still be a very valuable tool in helping you pay for the class.

    If this post helps even one person to attend the class I can say it was a success. I hope it helps even more as the Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class teaches you in a way that all the reading of detailing how-to articles in the world can't. By allowing you to use and get a feel for every tool out on the market, on cars you may never have the chance to work on again your entire life. All the while having the honor of being taught by Mike Phillips.

    So if the only thing holding you back from taking the class is the cost, try out GoFundMe. I did, and it became the difference in me wishing I could take the class, to being in the class.

    Thank you for reading.

    Ryan

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    674

    Re: How to pay for the Competition Ready class

    hope every thing works out for you going forward best of luck
    LittleKing24 likes this.

  3. #3
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    36,317

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Wow!

    Very cool story Ryan!


    First it was a genuine pleasure to have you in the class and second I commend you for thinking outside the box. Like the old saying goes,

    If there's will there's a way


    You had the strong will to start your own business and do it the intelligent way by getting hands-on training in all aspects of the car detailing business and then you found the way.


    My classes ALWAYS attract very high caliber people as you witnessed while taking the class and you yourself are a very high caliber person.

    I know you're going to be a success moving forward and you know you can always contact me with any questions you have or any help you need to make your detailing business a success.


    Thank you for writing this article Ryan. My classes always fill up but I expect to see even more people attending that will have used your technique thanks to your article.


    Aaryn NZ and LittleKing24 like this.
    Mike Phillips
    Host - Competition Ready on Velocity Channel
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Competition Ready Facebook Page
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  4. #4
    Senior Member Aaryn NZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    881

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    I like this idea! I like it alot.

    Congratulations Ryan for thinking outside the box & also for attending such a great class. I had often thought about how to go about raising the $ to get to Compitition Ready & I also thought it would be a great thing for the forum members to do amongst ourselves to nominate a fellow member & all "chip in" to get them there. Maybe Autogeek could list it in the store & people just give what they can. Me, I scrimped & saved for years to afford to make the 8000+ mile journey from New Zealand in 2015 & it was worth every hard earned cent to attend Mikes class. Maybe this idea could see me return to Stuart for another class sooner than my current pocket $ will alow.

    Nice one Ryan, great post - as us Kiwis say - "Chur Bro".

    Aaryn NZ.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    5,627

    Re: How to pay for the Competition Ready class

    Quote Originally Posted by bill walsh View Post
    hope every thing works out for you going forward best of luck
    Pretty cool and I heard of that site.a friend of mine got funded to attend his last 2 years of schooling.Im down with helping anyone to step up their game.karma is a great thing,may not be immediate but eventually it comes through cool story.

  6. #6
    Senior Member WaxMaster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    534

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleKing24 View Post

    First it encourages people to donate because they get something in return. I never told anyone how much to donate, but just to use they're better judgement. Therefore, I did the best I could to make each vehicle look good without going above and beyond. I will say that almost every donation was fair, and for the couple that weren't, I didn't sweat it. Here's why..

    The second thing that happens, is people read your GoFundMe page, and decide to give a generous donation. It's a very appreciative feeling, as about 1/3 of the cost of the class came from generous donations for me. So if you're completely new to detailing and want to take the class before touching anyone's vehicle, then creating a GoFundMe page can still be a very valuable tool in helping you pay for the class.

    If this post helps even one person to attend the class I can say it was a success. I hope it helps even more as the Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class teaches you in a way that all the reading of detailing how-to articles in the world can't. By allowing you to use and get a feel for every tool out on the market, on cars you may never have the chance to work on again your entire life. All the while having the honor of being taught by Mike Phillips.

    So if the only thing holding you back from taking the class is the cost, try out GoFundMe. I did, and it became the difference in me wishing I could take the class, to being in the class.

    Thank you for reading.

    Ryan
    Almost every donation was fair??? Excuse me, those unfair donations didn't have to be given to you at all. If I were to ever go that route (wouldn't ever do it though) I'd be appreciative of a cent given to me.
    Flash Gordon and Wolfslair like this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member LittleKing24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    101

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Almost every donation was fair??? Excuse me, those unfair donations didn't have to be given to you at all. If I were to ever go that route (wouldn't ever do it though) I'd be appreciative of a cent given to me.
    You're right. I guess I could have worded it differently.

    I was happy with every donation I received no matter the amount because without them I wouldn't have made it to the class. I also refused to give anyone a price on their detail because I truly wanted to do it through donations so putting a price tag on it defeats the purpose. So I can't say a donation wasn't fair. Once again you're right.

    I also know that most people don't know how much a true detail costs compared to the 20 minute car wash "detail". There was honestly only one specific detail I did that led me to say what I did. It involved paint correction on a bmw that someone previously took a rotary buffer to. I was originally gonna do it at a certain price but had to wait for him to get his front bumper replaced. When it came time to do it, instead of giving him a price, I just told him to make a donation because I had just started detailing for them.

    Needless to say it was less than what I was originally gonna do it for. I'm not a monster. I also worked very hard for the donations. And for everyone that did donate, whether I detailed their vehicle or not, will get a heavy discount next time I detail their vehicle. Even the person with the bmw.


    Aaryn NZ likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member LittleKing24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    101

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    I like this idea! I like it alot.

    Congratulations Ryan for thinking outside the box & also for attending such a great class. I had often thought about how to go about raising the $ to get to Compitition Ready & I also thought it would be a great thing for the forum members to do amongst ourselves to nominate a fellow member & all "chip in" to get them there. Maybe Autogeek could list it in the store & people just give what they can. Me, I scrimped & saved for years to afford to make the 8000+ mile journey from New Zealand in 2015 & it was worth every hard earned cent to attend Mikes class. Maybe this idea could see me return to Stuart for another class sooner than my current pocket $ will alow.

    Nice one Ryan, great post - as us Kiwis say - "Chur Bro".

    Aaryn NZ.
    Thank you! It's really cool that you replied because when I would tell people about the class and that people come from all over the world I always tell them that someone(you) came all the way from New Zealand. It's got to be the furthest anyone has traveled! I had the chance to go to Australia from Texas in 09 as a student ambassador and man what a flight! Or 3 for that matter. At the class I attended we had Jose from Argentina and Paulo from Brazil. (I hope I got that right).

  9. #9
    Senior Member WaxMaster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    534

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Ryan, my bad, dude!! I jumped the gun since most go fund me's are looking for handouts and I inadvertently missed you offering to detail for the "donations" or quid pro quo if you will. So my apologies go out to you!

  10. #10
    Senior Member LittleKing24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Pearland, TX
    Posts
    101

    Re: How to pay for your Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Class with GoFundMe

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post
    Ryan, my bad, dude!! I jumped the gun since most go fund me's are looking for handouts and I inadvertently missed you offering to detail for the "donations" or quid pro quo if you will. So my apologies go out to you!
    It's all good! When I made the GoFundMe page I made sure to get that point across real quick. When I think of GoFundMe I picture people asking for free money as well. For some people it's understandable when a loved one has an unexpected accident and a huge medical bill slaps them in the face. But a lot of people do use abuse the site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The training cars for the 2016 May Competition Ready 3-day Detailing Class
    By Mike Phillips in forum Information for Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-14-2016, 04:15 PM
  2. May Competition Ready Class is SOLD OUT! - Next class is September 23rd, 24th and 26th
    By Mike Phillips in forum Information for Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 07:30 AM
  3. Mike's Competition Ready detailing class
    By sss7912 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2016, 08:40 PM
  4. Next Competition Ready class - May 6th, 7th, 8th & 9th
    By Mike Phillips in forum Information for Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM
  5. Surprise Car for this weekend's Competition Ready Detail Class!
    By Mike Phillips in forum Information for Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes with Mike Phillips
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» April 2017

262728293031 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 123456