autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Video: How to remove water spots off glass

Video: How to remove water spots off glass

Before I start doing the paint polishing on this 1964 Catalina I polished the glass. This is the order in how I work on cars personally and what I teach in my classes, that is machine polish the glass and headlights before washing and claying so you can remove any residues that might get on the paint. If you're going to detail the engine you would do this before washing and wiping clean first tackling the exterior paint.

Two things build up on glass,

• Water Spots
    • Road Film

Normal spray-on glass cleaners won't remove built-up water spots or road film or any of the other gunk that builds up on your car's exterior glass so you need a glass polish with glass safe abrasive technology to mechanically abrade the glass and remove all the contaminants.

After you remove all the built-up contaminants then you can maintain the glass using spray on glass cleaner but keep in mind, over time, the water spots, road film and gunk will build-up and for this reason it's a good idea to machine polish your car's glass anytime you're going to detail your car or a customer's car.

On Autogeek.net

Pinnacle GlassWork Water Spot Remover

Pinnacle GlassCoat Window Sealant with Rain Repellent

Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How to remove water spots off glass

As always excellent instruction mike. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into all these.
    Mercedes C230 Sport edition

Mike Phillips

Thank you...

Did that video in 3 sections with no retakes...

Just posted this video using the same car and I'll probably use this car for at least one more video on using the Chemical Guys Black Wax...

Video: Menzerna FG 400 on Swirled out Black Paint

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, what plus would there be to polishing the glass with a product such as the Pinnacle Glasswork vs. claying?

Would it be just be to get the more etched in water spots? Or would this method clean better than a clay alone even without having to deal with water spots ?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by MiataBernie View Post
    Mike, what plus would there be to polishing the glass with a product such as the Pinnacle Glasswork vs. claying?

Would it be just be to get the more etched in water spots? Or would this method clean better than a clay alone even without having to deal with water spots ?

Machine polishing glass gets it clean right down to a fresh base. Claying won't do that.

This car and my fiancé's Honda both were machine polished over the weekend and it makes a huge difference.

Birthday Detail - Stacy's Honda

I should have tried to capture the stains on the glass on this Honda but I was pressed for time, (plus I do lots of pictures all the time, once in a while I'm taking a break from all the picture work).

I've been machine polishing glass all my detailing life, it's an important part of any buff-out for daily drivers and older cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I just cleaned the glass on my car this past weekend using the Lake Country glass cutting pads paired with Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer. The windshield had minimal spotting and I thought this would do the trick. Did a small test spot using the GG random orbital and now my windshield is trashed...deep scratches and swirls. Why would this combo do this and is there a way to correct these deep scratches?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by drivensite View Post
    I just cleaned the glass on my car this past weekend using the Lake Country glass cutting pads paired with Detailer’s Pro Series High Performance Glass Restorer. The windshield had minimal spotting and I thought this would do the trick. Did a small test spot using the GG random orbital and now my windshield is trashed...deep scratches and swirls. Why would this combo do this and is there a way to correct these deep scratches?

Someone asked a similar question on the YouTube comments section for this YouTube video, here's what I wrote,

This video and these products are NOT for removing scratches, (defects "IN" the glass), this video and these products are for removing water spots, gunk and road film "ON" the glass.

To remove defects in the glass you need a quality glass polish that uses Cerium Oxide. I know there's a lot of people that want to remove scratches out of glass but the new Pinnacle GlassWork is just for removing water spots, (minerals), and other gunk and road film off the surface of glass.

I just read the page for the Detailer's High Performance Glass Restorer and it does not state this product can be used with the Lake Country glass cutting pads.

These pads for those who have never used or even seen one are very hard and flat and when used with the wrong type of abrasive can cause scratches in glass.

I have some experimental glass polish and used the Lake Country Pads on my fiancé's windshield this last weekend and using the right abrasive technology they work really well. So it's vitally important to match the right pads with the right products when working on glass.

This is a picture of the windshield on Stacy's car from the last time I tested a glass polishing product.

This last weekend I did the lower portion. Yes, she's been driving around for 2-3 months with only half the windshield polished.

I recommend you do an advanced search using the words

Cerium Oxide

You'll find some threads from other forum members sharing how they removed scratches in glass.

Advanced Search

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip on Cerium Oxide...i'll look into that. What I don't understand is why the glass pad and designated glass polish cut so abrasively into my windshield. Carefully read the description for both products before ordering and applied both products exactly as their instructions stated, but now have a damaged windshield. The DP glass restorer instructions state it's recommended to be used with a dual action polisher on low speed (which I did) and the glass pads as well as glass restorer both state they are to remove waterspots from glass which is exactly what I was aiming to do. Any help on why this damaged my windshield instead of correcting the waterspots is greatly appreciated. Again, I was trying to remove waterspots from my glass, not scratches. I'm only interested in how to remove the scratches now that the products I bought and used damaged my windshield. Thanks in advance for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent video as always, on a off subject the polisher seems to have an extender on it, curious what that is used for versus the traditional way. Does autogeek sell that attachment, if so what is it called and can that be used for the XC 3401.

Thanks Chris aka Italian Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, it looks like you used a Blue LC 5" Hybrid pad, is that correct?

Also, what speed did you use on the rotary?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast