autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video: How To use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a PC7424XP

Video: How To use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a PC7424XP

Decontaminating the paint on a 1963 Ford Galaxie 390 XL

Here's some tips and techniques for using the Speedy Prep Surface Towel with a DA Polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP.

Note you can use these decontamination pads on any dual action polisher but they are not for use with rotary buffers.

How To use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a PC7424XP
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEWl3R6TPLo&hd=1]How To use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a PC7424XP - YouTube[/video]

On Autogeek.net

Nanoskin Car Care Products

Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How To use the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on a PC7424XP

Do you think it yields the same results as a traditional clay barring? If or if not what are some pros and cons? Thanks

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07GrabberGT View Post
    Do you think it yields the same results as a traditional clay barring? If or if not what are some pros and cons? Thanks

I think both the Nanoskin Autoscrub Pad does a better job of,

1. Removing contaminants
    2. Getting the paint incredibly smooth as proved by the baggie test

That's two things by the way. I like it enough that I used it on a restored 1957 Chevy Belair...

New Menzerna FG 400 - One-Step Show Car Makeover

Baggie Test then Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads
    After wiping the paint clean I did the baggies test and the paint literally felt like #120 grit sandpaper. The contaminants were on all the body panels so I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP to decontaminate every square inch of the paint. For a lube I used Pinnacle Clay Lube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07GrabberGT View Post
    In the video I think he mentions that it produces a better, more consistent finish than clay. That or he mentioned it in another thread.

But- clay is still needed for smaller areas even though the Nanoskin can flex nicely onto body curves due to the middle foam section.
    -Brent

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by brentech View Post

In the video I think he mentions that it produces a better, more consistent finish than clay. That or he mentioned it in another thread.
    I think you're right... I either said this in the video or typed it somewhere on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by brentech View Post

But- clay is still needed for smaller areas even though the Nanoskin can flex nicely onto body curves due to the middle foam section.

Another option is to have the Speedy Prep Surface Towel for when the Nanoskin pads won't work for the panel application.

Here's and example, when I buffed out this 1957 Chevy I used both Nanoskin Autoscrub pads and the Speedy Prep Surface Towel.

New Menzerna FG 400 - One-Step Show Car Makeover

Baggie Test then Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads
    After wiping the paint clean I did the baggies test and the paint literally felt like #120 grit sandpaper. The contaminants were on all the body panels so I used a Nanoskin Autoscrub pad on a Porter Cable 7424XP to decontaminate every square inch of the paint. For a lube I used Pinnacle Clay Lube.

It's all about using the right tool and the best tool for the job...

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome.

Would be nice to move away from clay, but I still have a little worry about the cost. I guess if you clean the Nanoskin off right after a particularly nasty section it shouldn't degrade too fast. I would like to make the change.
    -Brent

Post Thanks / Like

Another great video

One question though - I've read in other forums that it is advised to first break in the autoscrub pad on glass for a minute or two, and only then to start using it on paint. Is it a recommendation from the manufacturer or just an "anonymous tip"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post

It's all about using the right tool and the best tool for the job...

Mike how long do you think one of these Nanoskin pads will last? Typical 200gr clay bar is about $30 and these pads $50. Wondering if it's about the same or better than a typical foam pad.

Is there much difference between the fine and medium?

I like the idea of having a machine do the grunt work vs me ...priceless . Clean up looks better than a clay bar as well.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    Mike how long do you think one of these Nanoskin pads will last? Typical 200gr clay bar is about $30 and these pads $50. Wondering if it's about the same or better than a typical foam pad.
    I need to use the pads more in order to give you a qualified answers, hang tight...

Is there much difference between the fine and medium?
    Seems the medium does work faster but the risk of marring is also greater. At this time my recommendation would be for "Enthusiasts" to use the fine grade.

For pros, just get the medium to start with and plan on doing at least one machine polishing step afterwards. It's just a more professional approach.

I like the idea of having a machine do the grunt work vs me ...priceless . Clean up looks better than a clay bar as well.
    I agree.

To date, I think there's a time and place for all 4 ways of decontaminating paint,

1. IronX
    2. Detailing Clay
    3. Speedy Prep Surface Towel
    4. Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads

Just like you have more than one wrench in your tool box...