autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autogeek's Show Car Garage New Product Showcase - Optimum Hyper Compound

Nice Videos Mike, the difference was quite dramatic. Optimum makes some nice products.

Since the pad is never going to be loaded down with used product, how would you tell if you are picking up too much of the contaminants off of the paint and putting more marring back into the paint? In other words, aren't you eventually creating sandpaper by not cleaning off what you are abrading with the pad?

Using a liquid polish always forces me to clean the pad or switch it often enough that I never worry about it.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mchess1 View Post

Since the pad is never going to be loaded down with used product

I think if you watch the video I talk about "working clean" and then I show cleaning the wool pad with a Spur and the foam pad with a Pad Conditioning Brush. Keep in mind that in a 10 minute video we have to cover a lot of information and sometimes there's not enough time to go over all the details of buffing out entire cars.

That said, anytime you're abrading paint you're going to have removed paint build-up on the face of your buffing pad and for this reason a good "Best Practice" is to always clean your pad often and after buffing a section always wipe the residue off before applying fresh product.

Just because I didn't include the above doesn't mean it's not a good idea, it's just a challenge to pack all the information into a video that's less than 10 minutes long.

Great question!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Does AG not sell the optimum wool and foam pad specific to this system? I didn't see it on the website.
    I'm not sure of the delivery status at this time but as soon as they are available then they will be listed. You can call Customer Care at 1-800-869-3011 for more information.

Great question!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive tried it already too and I love it. I have used it with the Flex D/A and Rotary. It works very well with both. I don't ever want to go back to tiny sections and dusting again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by integritydetail View Post
    Ive tried it already too and I love it. I have used it with the Flex D/A and Rotary. It works very well with both. I don't ever want to go back to tiny sections and dusting again.
    Sweet! I just ordered some to use with my Flex 3401!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Only learning curve is spraying it on the pad, after you get that down (without hitting stuff behind the pad) it really feels like polishing "should" feel. I always hated doing small sections to keep the product from drying out. I swear I can do a large hood in only 3 sections with this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mr. Phillips,
    I was reading this thread ...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...me-tricks.html

... where you were working on this beautiful 3/4 Chevy. I am curious how much product you used to finish this truck? It doesn't seem like a single bottle of comound and polish would go very far (meaning 1-2 cars/trucks). Can you give us some input on this please?

This product is expensive, but also time saving in more than one way.

Thanks!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Hi Mr. Phillips,

... where you were working on this beautiful 3/4 Chevy. I am curious how much product you used to finish this truck? It doesn't seem like a single bottle of comound and polish would go very far (meaning 1-2 cars/trucks). Can you give us some input on this please?

Thanks!

Bill
    I'm not Mike, but I can give you an example for how much product I personally used. I did a Chevy Suburban in the link below with Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Hyper Polish and I still have more than half a bottle left and that was a pretty large vehicle.

Suburban Paint Correction using Optimum Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish
    Brian

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    Hi Mr. Phillips,

... where you were working on this beautiful 3/4 Chevy. I am curious how much product you used to finish this truck? It doesn't seem like a single bottle of compound and polish would go very far (meaning 1-2 cars/trucks). Can you give us some input on this please?

Thanks!

Bill

Hi Bill,

First, the truck was really nice, it belongs to a local member of one of the local car clubs around West Palm Beach. I only sanded and cut the hood and a portion of the front fenders to give it a uniform, show car appearance.

The rest of the vertical sides need one of two procedures,

1. Sanded, cut and buffed
    2. Major machine correction work

The owner wanted to learn how to do it himself so he could take care of not only this truck but his other street rod projects. I spent some time with the owner showing him how to machine polish to remove swirls and scratches and and he purchased a PC 7424XP and all the pads and chemicals to do it himself.

I did do a light machine polish and wax to the entire truck so it left here not only protected but with a much better and uniform appearance.

Haven't seen him or the truck since then...

Both the Hyper-Compound and the Hyper-Polish have a very long buffing cycle and the compound uses SMAT instead of DAT so it cuts for a long time too...

Post Thanks / Like

Took me forever to find this thread again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
    I'm not Mike, but I can give you an example for how much product I personally used. I did a Chevy Suburban in the link below with Optimum Hyper Compound and Optimum Hyper Polish and I still have more than half a bottle left and that was a pretty large vehicle.

Suburban Paint Correction using Optimum Hyper Compound and Hyper Polish
    Thank you for the information and pictures as proof! Nice work!

I was actually condisering using it on a black trailblazer (daily driver...outside 24/7), then topping with opt 2.0. I don't think the full correction on a daily driver would be worth it, after reading some of Mike's articles, without the opt 2.0 in place as protection. Of course, after the coating wash and care would most certainly have to change.

Actually wanting to do 2 vehicles, the trailblazer, and a Regal GS, both having been neglected for awhile now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Hi Bill,

First, the truck was really nice, it belongs to a local member of one of the local car clubs around West Palm Beach. I only sanded and cut the hood and a portion of the front fenders to give it a uniform, show car appearance.

The rest of the vertical sides need one of two procedures,

1. Sanded, cut and buffed
    2. Major machine correction work
    The owner wanted to learn how to do it himself so he could take care of not only this truck but his other street rod projects. I spent some time with the owner showing him how to machine polish to remove swirls and scratches and and he purchased a PC 7424XP and all the pads and chemicals to do it himself.

I did do a light machine polish and wax to the entire truck so it left here not only protected but with a much better and uniform appearance.

Haven't seen him or the truck since then...

Both the Hyper-Compound and the Hyper-Polish have a very long buffing cycle and the compound uses SMAT instead of DAT so it cuts for a long time too...

Thanks for the reply Mr. Phillips.

I know there were several in the thread who had questions about using a DA with this new technology compound. Since you mentioned the owner purchasing a DA, can I assume a DA was used some with the optimum spray products?

That's some of the most beautiful paint I've ever seen. Sort of odd you haven't seen the fella since huh?

Bill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast