autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Great video! Very informative!
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Thanks Mike. You and everyone at AG are doing a great job!!!
    Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

can you use other types of liquids for a clay lubriacant or should you only use a QD with it? I am asking because my friend gave me a brand new bar of detailing clay but no lubricant with it. I thought I hear a sopy water solution would work.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyfanaddict View Post
    can you use other types of liquids for a clay lubricant or should you only use a QD with it? I am asking because my friend gave me a brand new bar of detailing clay but no lubricant with it. I thought I hear a soapy water solution would work.
    The short answer is "yes"

The long answer is some clays and some soaps won't work together well and the clay will dissolve a little and become gummy.

One other aspect that I noticed at the hundreds of detailing classes I taught at Meguiar's is that often times people new to claying and detailing in general is that...

A spray detailer is formulated to wipe light dust off a car and leave the paint looking good! That is clear and glossy. This happens when you use a spray detailer for a clay lube and most clay lubes will also wipe off to a nice shine.

When you use soapy water it will tend to leave the paint looking, well like you just wiped the car down with soapy water and that means it will leave the paint looking smearing and splotchy...

Now a seasoned detailer won't think nothing of this as in most cases they are going to "do something" next to the paint whether that be compound, or polish or wax and the end-result will be the smeariness will be removed a a clear, glossy finish restored.

But a Newbie will look look at the paint and how smeary it looks after their first time using clay with something like soapy water and FREAK OUT!
    (Don't ask me why but I've seen this a LOT in my life)

I don't mean have a heart attack freak out but they will tend to get all panicky and fearful they've hurt their car's precious paint.

So if you use soapy water for a clay lube then go into the process being cautious of the type of soap you use and don't over use it and don't expect the paint to look like you just waxed it after wiping the residue off because it's probably going to look smeary, dull and splotchy until you use a secondary product to wipe the paint to a high gloss or move forward to your next step.

Here's some articles on the topic of claying, I've written one on the topic of using soap for clay lube in the past and because this falls into the category of a "Hot Topic", that is a topic that comes up all the time, I'll write a fresh one in the future.

Using Detailing Clay
    Tips and Tricks for using detailing clay
    Do I need to wash my car after I use detailing clay to clay the paint?
    How often do I need to clay my car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

wow, thank you for the prompt and in-depth response! I guess Ill just quit being a feakin cheap skate and go buy some QD. Or... were you also implying that a QD wouldnt be good to use either?

Mike Phillips

wow, thank you for the prompt and in-depth response!
    Your welcome. Note this portion of my Signature Line...

If you like the quality of answers you get on AutogeekOnline.net, then share this forum with your friends.

I guess Ill just quit being a feakin cheap skate and go buy some QD. Or... were you also implying that a QD wouldnt be good to use either?

Most any quick detailer or spray detailer will work for a clay lube, an easy one to fine at your local auto parts store is either Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer
    or Meguiar's Quik Detailer, but don't get the black bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Detailer as it's not recommended as a clay lube.

Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Your welcome. Note this portion of my Signature Line...

If you like the quality of answers you get on AutogeekOnline.net, then share this forum with your friends.

Most any quick detailer or spray detailer will work for a clay lube, an easy one to fine at your local auto parts store is either Mother's Showtime Instant Detailer
    or Meguiar's Quik Detailer, but don't get the black bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Detailer as it's not recommended as a clay lube.

+1 to the Mothers for being a good cheap clay lube. Its what ive been using (granted ive only clayed a few times) but it really works well for me and your not so worried about using too much cause its pretty cheap stuff .

Now i do have one little unrelated question Mr Mike...I loved the video and all...but that chair you had sitting over to the other side of the car caught my eye! As weird as I am I might build myself one, but depending on the price I really was wondering who makes it...I havent run across it in the AG store...I've only seen the little roller buggy with the 2 buckets....but that chair looks very awesome...hope you can fill me in

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

I went in to the file structure of your server at PMBA and downloaded alot of the videos in .MP4 for my iTouch/Desktop. I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere what the links are, but that might be a suggestion if you could just give people the links to download the videos if they wanted.

I know I like watching the videos on my iTouch.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

I'm having trouble watching the videos, it plays for a few seconds then pauses. I have to press play repeatedly to watch the video. Any ideas that would help me (disclaimer - I'm less computer literate than the Amish!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast