autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Member Wills.WindowsAndWheels's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Quote Originally Posted by VOLVOS60 View Post
    I'm having trouble watching the videos, it plays for a few seconds then pauses. I have to press play repeatedly to watch the video. Any ideas that would help me (disclaimer - I'm less computer literate than the Amish!)
    what speed modem do you have...if you click on the actual PICTURE in the video twice a new screen will pull up and you can try that ...worked for me

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How detailing clay works and how to use detailing clay to remove above surface bonded contaminants

Quote Originally Posted by doraw View Post
    Thx,very useful!
    Your welcome, glad it worked

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the one to download in .MP4 format.

http://www.palmbeachmotoring.net/asc...eb-Desktop.m4v

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, I use the clay bar as you suggested and the car looks wonderful. I use the detailing spray as my lubricant, so when I wipe it off it gives a nice shine. I use my finger tips as a measurement of how smooth the paint is under my hand and how much more I have to rub the clay bar to remove the contaminants. A question...if I use the fine claybar, should I follow up with the ultrafine? Also, how much further do I have to go to get that jeweled finish I am so wanting on the clear coat? Thanks for the informative videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfadoctor View Post
    Mike, I use the clay bar as you suggested and the car looks wonderful. I use the detailing spray as my lubricant, so when I wipe it off it gives a nice shine. I use my finger tips as a measurement of how smooth the paint is under my hand and how much more I have to rub the clay bar to remove the contaminants. A question...if I use the fine claybar, should I follow up with the ultrafine? Also, how much further do I have to go to get that jeweled finish I am so wanting on the clear coat? Thanks for the informative videos.
    Well that depends on the condition of your surface. Thats great that you removed all the contaminants....but now your next step would be the most fun! Removing swirls (if you have any).

If you have swirls, you can either compound it with something like Megs 105 (or the equiv. from another brand) of if they arn't too bad then you could use something like Megs D151 which is an All In One product (compound,polish.seal).

You can try the AIO first and see if it removes all the swirls you want it too and if not then move up to a more aggressive compound...or if it does do all you want...seal it and you could even add a top wax if you wanted...or you could glaze it...then seal it (ive heard glazes can add that extra shine, thou they dont last long at all so thats why you have to seal it afterwards).

Those are just some options from my end. For me...I'd use M105 compound...then 205 polish (i really love 205) and then seal it up with Megs #20...or even NXT 2.0. I might put megs #7 glaze on first before i seal it up if i was feeling extra energetic .

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Mike Phillips

Mike, I use the clay bar as you suggested and the car looks wonderful. I use the detailing spray as my lubricant, so when I wipe it off it gives a nice shine. I use my finger tips as a measurement of how smooth the paint is under my hand and how much more I have to rub the clay bar to remove the contaminants.

A question...if I use the fine claybar, should I follow up with the ultrafine?
    No. After you have removed the above surface bonded contaminants, you are done claying.

Also, how much further do I have to go to get that jeweled finish I am so wanting on the clear coat?

Thanks for the informative videos.
    To get that jeweled look to your car's paint after claying the next thing you want to do is machine polish. You can also polish by hand but it's a lot of work as clearcoats are very hard and thus difficult to hand polish to remove swirls and scratches.

Check out these two articles....

It's not that hard...

And this one...

How To Detail Your Brand New Car by Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Shared here,

claybar recomendations

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12