autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Show Car Garage Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top

OK, so the protectant you applied is an aerosol. How would you apply something like 303 High Tech Fabric Guard to a fabric convertible top?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Mike Phillips

Re: Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    OK, so the protectant you applied is an aerosol. How would you apply something like 303 High Tech Fabric Guard to a fabric convertible top?
    Great question!

The product you reference is a pump spray... this is an indicator you would squeeze the trigger handle to spray it onto the fabric.

Mike Phillips

Re: Show Car Garage Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top

***Update***

Convertible top video added to YouTube today and embedded to the top of this thread.

Post Thanks / Like

so you say the vinyl top cleaning is 100% the same technique am i right ?
    do you recommand using an electric leaf blower on a convertible top for drying ?

Post Thanks / Like

Such as good demo, on how to clean and protect a cloth convertible top.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sabrina View Post
    Such as good demo, on how to clean and protect a cloth convertible top.
    I did quite a bit of research into canvas materials before making the video and found the biggest enemy to canvas or acrylic fiber cloth is what's usually referred to as acid rain but in reality, anything corrosive in the rain or anytime moister mixes with the accumulated dirt, dust and air-borne pollution that settles into the weave and stitching of canvas or cloth tops and then deteriorates it.

A good protectant seals the stitching and the weave of the cloth to help prevent water or any type of moisture from dissolving the contaminants on the surface and causing them to seep into the fabric where they can cause damage.

So the most important thing you can do to maintain a cloth or canvas top is to keep it clean and regularly re-apply a water-proofing sealant and to piggyback on this maintenance procedure, don't use any strong cleaners and don't use any coarse brushes that can abrade or rough-up the surface material.

Besides all of the above, after washing and cleaning the top, like mentioned in the video, the fabric has to be BONE DRY before applying the protectant in order for the coating to properly bond to the fibers.

Usually, cleaning and treating a canvas top should be or will be a two day project unless you take extra steps to get any water to evaporate out of and off the top, things like,

Drive the car in warm weather so the heat and the wind will speed up the drying process. This means exposing the top to any potential dirt, dust or air-borne contaminants.

Park the car in the sun after washing, again, this means exposing the top to any potential dirt, dust or air-borne contaminants. (The reason you just washed the top was to remove these things before sealing the top)

Or in my opinion, the safest way to dry it while keeping it clean would be to park the car in a closed environment with good air flow, that way it won't get dirty while it's drying. One thing a person could do would be to place some fans in the garage to blow air over the top to speed up evaporation. You could even place a fan to blow air into the car to have air moving over both the top and the inside of the fabric if you want to really get the fabric dry as fast as possible.

Then... before applying a second coat or third coat, you want each previous coat to completely dry for proper bonding of the protection ingredients. Again a fan can help speed up this process.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, i know this is an old thread but i need some help. I have a new Camaro convertible with a light tan fabric top. The recent wet weather has caused some mildew spots to form on the top. How would you recommend removing and "killing" the mildew to prevent it from coming back? We cleaned it a few weeks ago and thought we'd removed it, however after a week of wet weather it has started coming back. The top had been treated with Rag top about 4 months ago. Thanks, David ('68 firebird)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The rain has finally stopped long enough today for me to get a picture of what i'm talking about. thanks again for any help offered
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Show Car Garage Video: How To Clean and Protect a Cloth Convertible Top-20130709_104052_resized-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Custom1970 View Post
    Ok, i know this is an old thread but i need some help. I have a new Camaro convertible with a light tan fabric top. The recent wet weather has caused some mildew spots to form on the top. How would you recommend removing and "killing" the mildew to prevent it from coming back? We cleaned it a few weeks ago and thought we'd removed it, however after a week of wet weather it has started coming back. The top had been treated with Rag top about 4 months ago. Thanks, David ('68 firebird)
    You might have better responses if you start a thread
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast