autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Get MORE $$$ For Your Trade-In With Detailing

The story behind this Toyota Tundra is it was a traded in looking the way it was to a local dealer. I got to work on cleaning this truck up for and when the interior and exterior were cleaned the dealer said that the payout to the customer would have been $2,000 higher!!! Goes to show how important a clean car is for yourself or if you ever need to sell!

2. Dislikes Tasmania disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get MORE $$$ For Your Trade-In With Detailing

I worked for a dealership. When you bring in a freshly detailed car they know you are in the market to buy a car.

Wouldn’t recommend it. If you just stopped buy with a dirty car with a bag of McDonald’s in your back seat well you probably didn’t intend to buy a car today so the are more likely to take a worse deal because a lot of people will window shop and they work a little harder to close the deal.

Most dealers can look through the crud and know what a car can look like.

Also though this is in regular times. Buying a car in 2022 is a whole different animal. Dealers will even buy cars site unseen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Likes dlc95, DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Get MORE $$$ For Your Trade-In With Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by Coatingsarecrack View Post
    I worked for a dealership. When you bring in a freshly detailed car they know you are in the market to buy a car.

Wouldn’t recommend it. If you just stopped buy with a dirty car with a bag of McDonald’s in your back seat well you probably didn’t intend to buy a car today so the are more likely to take a worse deal because a lot of people will window shop and they work a little harder to close the deal.

Most dealers can look through the crud and know what a car can look like.

Also though this is in regular times. Buying a car in 2022 is a whole different animal. Dealers will even buy cars site unseen.

So you are saying the dealer will take a worse deal just for the inventory? I know a few dealer owners that buy super low CR cars and don't care the condition (keeps me in business!) just so they can keep moving cars whether wholesale or customers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stauffer Garage View Post
    So you are saying the dealer will take a worse deal just for the inventory? I know a few dealer owners that buy super low CR cars and don't care the condition (keeps me in business!) just so they can keep moving cars whether wholesale or customers
    Not a worse deal. When a customer stops by and my manager would see a freshly detail car they knew people would get them detail (especially if we could tell they got a extraction done) they were looking for a new car and usually we’re actively shopping as most think in that term that it looks better maybe they’ll get more.

A lot of times people would stop by with out really the intent of buying more often. Maybe 6-70% of people but get that buying “rush”

They know these are the people that the would have to close now as if they left that buying effect would ware off and as they never really intended to buy they talk themselves out of it. It’s why it’s hard to leave a dealership. The will take a worse deal to sell you that day.

ALOT of people buy cars without the real intention off buying because who doen’t love a new car.

But if they know your intention is to come in to buy a car they know you are more likely to buy…. Less the need to “sell” you a car.

Same reason if your looking for a used car you shouldn’t call and ask a lot of questions you should just be “driving by” and happened to stop by. The less interest you show the more likely the dealer is to take less for it.

They need to make a profit but they also don’t like inventory to sit and will gladly sell something and not make much to move inventory to buy more cars. If they know you are really interested the are likely to try and make more money off you.

Showing up with a freshly detail car shows that.

I am not saying this to slight you. You are one of the few detail YouTubers I watch anymore as your turn around are amazing.

What you did in that truck was amazing. I doubt they would have gave the seller 2k more because they know what a good detail can do to a rough car if they’ve been doing this for a while.

Weather a car came in in rough or good detailing shape if the seller negated right condition wouldn’t matter because for $2-400 we could turn it around through detailers they used

The dealer will probably be able to sell it for 2k more because of the amazing work you did.

7. Likes DFB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a worse deal. When a customer stops by and my manager would see a freshly detail car they knew people would get them detail (especially if we could tell they got a extraction done) they were looking for a new car and usually we’re actively shopping as most think in that term that it looks better maybe they’ll get more.

A lot of times people would stop by with out really the intent of buying more often. Maybe 6-70% of people but get that buying “rush”

They know these are the people that the would have to close now as if they left that buying effect would ware off and as they never really intended to buy they talk themselves out of it. It’s why it’s hard to leave a dealership. The will take a worse deal to sell you that day.

ALOT of people buy cars without the real intention off buying because who doen’t love a new car.

But if they know your intention is to come in to buy a car they know you are more likely to buy…. Less the need to “sell” you a car.

Same reason if your looking for a used car you shouldn’t call and ask a lot of questions you should just be “driving by” and happened to stop by. The less interest you show the more likely the dealer is to take less for it.

They need to make a profit but they also don’t like inventory to sit and will gladly sell something and not make much to move inventory to buy more cars. If they know you are really interested the are likely to try and make more money off you.

Showing up with a freshly detail car shows that.

I am not saying this to slight you. You are one of the few detail YouTubers I watch anymore as your turn around are amazing.

What you did in that truck was amazing. I doubt they would have gave the seller 2k more because they know what a good detail can do to a rough car if they’ve been doing this for a while.

Weather a car came in in rough or good detailing shape if the seller negated right condition wouldn’t matter because for $2-400 we could turn it around through detailers they used

The dealer will probably be able to sell it for 2k more because of the amazing work you did.

That makes a lot of sense and something I don't know anything about (dealer world). I might use those tips next time I'm in the market to buy another car. It doesn't bother me one bit and I can say I learned something I didn't know or think about from that point of view. Appreciate the support!

9. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My deal was done ahead of time except trade in value.. They had to match an aggressive trade price of another dealer on my 276K mile trade. The local rep called me when I was 20 minutes away from an out of town dealer... I was ready to write a deal with the out of town dealer. The local rep found out the deal fell thru on the last '22 they had in my color... so now my name is on it. It's on a rail car somewhere as I type. A new bottle of iron remover awaits!

My trade was spotless (usually is). I had all my maintenance papers with me (46 oil changes, 40 by me). The used car buyer was kicking in the background having to pay up but they have a car deal someone else did not get. The chrome wheel/tires are not part of the deal. My van will be immediately wholesaled to their awaiting buyers pool.

Get MORE $$$ For Your Trade-In With Detailing-vannn-jpg

11. Likes Coatingsarecrack liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    My deal was done ahead of time except trade in value.. They had to match an aggressive trade price of another dealer on my 276K mile trade. The local rep called me when I was 20 minutes away from an out of town dealer... I was ready to write a deal with the out of town dealer. The local rep found out the deal fell thru on the last '22 they had in my color... so now my name is on it. It's on a rail car somewhere as I type. A new bottle of iron remover awaits!

My trade was spotless (usually is). I had all my maintenance papers with me (46 oil changes, 40 by me). The used car buyer was kicking in the background having to pay up but they have a car deal someone else did not get. The chrome wheel/tires are not part of the deal. My van will be immediately wholesaled to their awaiting buyers pool.

Get MORE $$$ For Your Trade-In With Detailing-vannn-jpg
    Now a stack of maintenance papers will get you more but just save em after you negotiate on the car you want 1st. Then bust out all the goodies and focus on the trade.

Post Thanks / Like

Now a stack of maintenance papers will get you more but just save em after you negotiate on the car you want 1st. Then bust out all the goodies and focus on the trade.
    Negotiating is a strange process nowadays. Email saves you time and frustration.

They all claim they sell at MSRP but then you fight to keep the add-ons off. In the Phoenix market $5000+ is the starting add-on price for a stinking minivan!!! One gentleman kept emailing me to spent $5800 for their "desert package" + more for window etching!!! I emailed him on the last day of the month, I'd come over with a check for MSRP and DOC fee. He was not allowed to sell without the add-ons.

In MN, MSRP with no add-ons is achievable. As an ex-car salesman even MSRP feels like defeat.... but they are stepping up to match another dealers stupidly high trade in price..... higher then I thought possible. So I'm actually thousands below MSRP.
    Hoping to see it in a few weeks..... no one has unsold inventory.