autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Checking Paint Thickness

So when buying a vehicle, or when detailing, it's good to know how thick your paint is. I found this paint thickness gauge and find I'm actually using it it quite a bit. It comes in handy most of the time when shopping for a vehicle as I am able to quickly tell if a steel or aluminum panel has been repainted.

I Love Detailing!!!!
    www.youtube.com/c/garageking

2. Likes DasTurboWagen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Checking Paint Thickness

I have a friend/client that has seen me use the PTG on his cars, and now borrows it when he is looking at buying cars. He said he gets odd looks, but can has an idea on the cars paint/body history, and can negotiate accordingly.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You bet, I think it's actually most useful when buying a car as it is so useful, plus if there is a Bondo job the PTG won't read as the substrate is too thick so its good for finding bodywork. It's a great negotiating tool. Thanks for the comment!!
    I Love Detailing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

The sales guy thought I was nuts, but I go over the entire care (even if brand new). You never know what got dinged in transport and fixed in the back of the service department. Or some sales guy had to take the new super charged <fill in the blank> and wrap it around a telephone pole, only to have it repaired after the service department closed for the day. It happens... just cause it's *new* doesn't mean it's new.

Good post.

7. Likes PaulMys, Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know it's funny you say that. I had bought a 2015 Camaro ZL1 right off the factory floor (Brand New). I drove it home and detailed it. I noticed body work on the left rear quarter panel. I was beyond myself and felt sick. I drove the car back, said it was repainted, dealer denied any repaint, and long story short it was repainted. No one at the dealer would accept any blame. It wound up in court and they bought the car back. No record anywhere of it being repainted. I take my paint thickness gauge whenever I'm checking out a vehicle and as you said, "just cause its new doesn't mean its new" I learned that first hand. Thanks for the comment
    I Love Detailing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GarageKing View Post
    You know it's funny you say that. I had bought a 2015 Camaro ZL1 right off the factory floor (Brand New). I drove it home and detailed it. I noticed body work on the left rear quarter panel. I was beyond myself and felt sick. I drove the car back, said it was repainted, dealer denied any repaint, and long story short it was repainted. No one at the dealer would accept any blame. It wound up in court and they bought the car back. No record anywhere of it being repainted. I take my paint thickness gauge whenever I'm checking out a vehicle and as you said, "just cause its new doesn't mean its new" I learned that first hand. Thanks for the comment
    So many vehicles are damaged in transit that they literally have a body shop at most ports of arrival. Vehicles can be refinished / repainted before they even arrive at the dealership and without their knowledge of any damage occurring. Not that this justifies anything... I think it should be mandatory that any damage or bodywork be noted on the vehicle's history, no matter when the damage occurred.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

10. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After I went thought my ordeal and talked with a lot of people industry I learned what you said is soo true, and I agree that any damage should be noted on the vehicle's history. In my case I noticed it when I was detailing it. I could see the orbital sanding marks under the black paint, so I knew there was a layer of Bondo. Had I not detailed it right away I would not have noticed and the dealer would have said that I did that. It was good I detailed the car as soon as I brought it home, and then drove it right back so it was clear that I had nothing to do with it. It was a very stressful situation for sure.
    I Love Detailing!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't touch another persons vehicle without a PTG.

In terms of new vehicles...I grew up in the car business. Yes, lots of repairs or touch ups are made. Laws vary by area but dealers don't have to disclose smaller repairs. IIRC it's based on retail dollar amount.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AutowerxDetailing View Post
    So many vehicles are damaged in transit that they literally have a body shop at most ports of arrival. Vehicles can be refinished / repainted before they even arrive at the dealership and without their knowledge of any damage occurring. Not that this justifies anything... I think it should be mandatory that any damage or bodywork be noted on the vehicle's history, no matter when the damage occurred.
    I work for a dealer, and it is my job to fully inspect every vehicle that arrives. I would put the percentage of vehicles that arrive with carrier damage at about 5--7%.

Carriers will also "STI" (Subject To Inspection) deliver. This means they will drop the vehicles off after hours, overnight, etc. I actually have found LESS damage on these vehicles. Maybe 2%.

Either way, the damaged ones go to the body shop, and no disclaimer is made to the customer upon purchase.

Pretty F'd up in my opinion. :/
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    I work for a dealer, and it is my job to fully inspect every vehicle that arrives. I would put the percentage of vehicles that arrive with carrier damage at about 5--7%.

Carriers will also "STI" (Subject To Inspection) deliver. This means they will drop the vehicles off after hours, overnight, etc. I actually have found LESS damage on these vehicles. Maybe 2%.

Either way, the damaged ones go to the body shop, and no disclaimer is made to the customer upon purchase.

Pretty F'd up in my opinion. :/
    Someone needs to pass a bill called "Truth in Damage".

15. Likes PaulMys liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast