autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How to clean rubber mats!

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Well, their main advantage is to have high walls so that snow doesn't go around them. To me, having carpets in cars doesn't make much sense. There are so many situations where you are gonna get them really dirty and cleaning them is not an easy task. On top of it, because of the undercarpet, drying takes for ever if you extract them. I think it's a bad idea all around. They should make the floor out of some good looking hard. non-porous material.

In the meantime, we have to deal as best we can I haven't seen anything better than Weathertech yet.
    Amen to that. I wish they would do the vinyl floor in all vehicles. My last work truck was vinyl floor and this one is carpet. 10 times harder to get the crap I work in out of the carpet vs the vinyl. It is louder in a vehicle and not and comfy feeling I guess but man so much easier to keep clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    @Orangevee, Thank you for the video. I enjoy watching your videos and I know how much work goes into making them. Trust me, I was asked by my Mustang Ecoboost forum guys to do a few videos. I had an entire week with an Audi TT to cover every topic. At the end... I hate every bit of what I shot. Plus not to mention the learning curve and amount of time to use the Adobe CS editing software. (and I have a huge background in Audio Prod & Pro Tools...).

I too have Weather Tech liners in all my vehicles. I live in AZ now and we have what's called "Arizona Accent"... What that means is after a nice hike in the desert, and your hiking shoes are all sand-colored, so does the car and interior become sand colored.

When I lived in NH, I saw the results of many carpets where folks just had rubber mats or just plain OEM mats, and after years of dragging ice-melt, slush, dirt, and salty snow, it eats the fibers of the carpets.

Having the high walls of the floor liners, whether they be WT or another brand, ensures that the surrounding carpeted areas don't fall victim to the harsh chemicals used to melt ice and snow. It's also a real treat to lift a disgusting floor liner up and see a pristine carpet underneath.

The video is a great demo on how to clean the floor liners, and is pretty much how I do it. The only step I do not do is the treatment of the trim-shine. I'm all about mitigating risk and I don't want to take the chance of someone's foot slipping or worse, transferring it onto a break or gas pedal.

The liners are there for a reason and that is to defend the carpet... Keeping the interior clean, and the value of the vehicle higher by protecting the OEM carpeting. This comes in handy for those that like to trade every few years, or leases.

Again, thanks for the video..
    Using a carpet protector also helps prevent what ever manages to get around your rubber mat to really imbed itself in the fibers. I always use a fabric protectant on the carpets when I detail the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I just plan on buying replacement mats every 3-4 years depending on the wear. 303 Fabric Protectant helps keep them clean. The key is to spray it on and massage the carpet to cover all the fibers. Use a carpet brush or a gloved hand to apply. Two or three coats work best for me.

There are some new high tech fabric coatings on the market but you rarely see any reviews. I tried the one from CarPro and the fumes almost made me pass out and the results were no better than 303. A respirator warning should be mandatory for many coating products. I just used the IGL Leather Coating and was dizzy during application. Sorry to go off subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I just plan on buying replacement mats every 3-4 years depending on the wear. 303 Fabric Protectant helps keep them clean. The key is to spray it on and massage the carpet to cover all the fibers. Use a carpet brush or a gloved hand to apply. Two or three coats work best for me.

There are some new high tech fabric coatings on the market but you rarely see any reviews. I tried the one from CarPro and the fumes almost made me pass out and the results were no better than 303. A respirator warning should be mandatory for many coating products. I just used the IGL Leather Coating and was dizzy during application. Sorry to go off subject.
    Ya, I don't believe in coatings for seats. They might be more durable than other fabric or leather protectants but there is no way they can be even semi-permanent on something that you rub fabric on with the weight of your body on top.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Ya, I don't believe in coatings for seats. They might be more durable than other fabric or leather protectants but there is no way they can be even semi-permanent on something that you rub fabric on with the weight of your body on top.
    Agreed. The constant abrasion will remove a coating in no time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Agreed. The constant abrasion will remove a coating in no time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Have to disagree. Cquartz leather coating and Gyeon Leather Shield both lasted a little over a year in areas that saw daily use. Was still very much present in areas of little to no use. That is my experience with both coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    @Orangevee, Thank you for the video. I enjoy watching your videos and I know how much work goes into making them.

Again, thanks for the video..
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you're enjoying the efforts I put into making these videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Have to disagree. Cquartz leather coating and Gyeon Leather Shield both lasted a little over a year in areas that saw daily use. Was still very much present in areas of little to no use. That is my experience with both coatings.
    I also agree with you. I have been testing CQuartz Leather in my own BMW M550i (with optional Nappa leather) and after 10 months it's still holding on strong, reduces friction wear (compared to my friend's almost identical M550i with zero protection) and cleaning is much easier on my seats compared to his. It doesn't prevent dye transfer from jeans, but cleanup is so easy. I barely need a leather brush. Not the same for my friend's car.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567