autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: How to clean rubber mats!

Most likely the reason it came clean with just the rinse is due to having been previously sprayed with Trim Shine. That being said, it’s not a good idea to spray rubber matts with that stuff as it could turn into an unfortunate slippery accident when you least expect it.

Horrible advice to use that on rubber matts.

2. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    Most likely the reason it came clean with just the rinse is due to having been previously sprayed with Trim Shine. That being said, it’s not a good idea to spray rubber matts with that stuff as it could turn into an unfortunate slippery accident when you least expect it.

I watched the video when it came out so dont remember all the details. Mine have been worse, I usually heavily soak them with my waterless/rinseless wash. Then wipe with a microfiber. They get clean but not the dark black sheen when new. I then usually will follow up with some Sonax PNS.

ANY product I apply to weathertechs, I test on my rear mats first. This is to ensure they are not slippery and if they are, no bug deal since they are rear..

4. Likes Thomkirby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Hum... is it? Water based dressing are not slippery when dry. But even if they were, the mat has no effect on your control of the vehicle, nor can you slip and fall while you are sitting. Not sure in what situation them being slippery would put you in any sort of danger. I never dress the pedals because that is potentially dangerous. That is the only real potential danger I can see. And even then, during the winter when you get in your car and the soles of your boots have snow in them, it make them slippery yet doesn't really affect your driving.

I think people are more careful than needs be on some of these things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    I watched the video when it came out so dont remember all the details. Mine have been worse, I usually heavily soak them with my waterless/rinseless wash. Then wipe with a microfiber. They get clean but not the dark black sheen when new. I then usually will follow up with some Sonax PNS.

ANY product I apply to weathertechs, I test on my rear mats first. This is to ensure they are not slippery and if they are, no bug deal since they are rear..
    Ya... rinseless and waterless are not that effective for mats. A good APC at minimum, but a degreaser to do a good job.

7. Thanks Klasse Act thanked for this post
    Likes Klasse Act liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Hum... is it? Water based dressing are not slippery when dry. But even if they were, the mat has no effect on your control of the vehicle, nor can you slip and fall while you are sitting. Not sure in what situation them being slippery would put you in any sort of danger. I never dress the pedals because that is potentially dangerous. That is the only real potential danger I can see. And even then, during the winter when you get in your car and the soles of your boots have snow in them, it make them slippery yet doesn't really affect your driving.

With things like this it helps to be extra careful, because there’s always that person out there that will somehow wind up blaming anyone they can if given the opportunity. I used to feel the same way about using leather conditioner on peoples steering wheels. I no longer do that because you just never know what they might wind up doing in their vehicle.

There’s better ways.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trim shine aerosol water based?? I'm not sure if that's what your trying to say and I know they make a w/b version but I don't think it's in aerosol

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

@Eldorado2k

Was it you forever ago that posted you thought those rubber specific cleaners like M37 tire and rubber rejuvenator really excel in the area of cleaning floor mats and leaving them looking fantastic?

I feel like whenever I use an APC on mine they always come out looking a little funky once dry. If that was your post, I’ve considered getting a 16oz bottle of one of those products just for that purpose lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rrthomas78 View Post
    Trim shine aerosol water based?? I'm not sure if that's what your trying to say and I know they make a w/b version but I don't think it's in aerosol

I was talking about what I use (Meguiars Hyperdressing). Can't remember what Pan used but even if it's not water based, I don't think that is an issue on a mat. As I said, it doesn't affect your control of the vehicle, nor can you slip on it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about what I use (Meguiars Hyperdressing). Can't remember what Pan used but even if it's not water based, I don't think that is an issue on a mat. As I said, it doesn't affect your control of the vehicle, nor can you slip on it.
    While your statement is true, it is upon entry of the car where the slickness might become the problem.

If you own a truck, you usually climb up into it, most times with the aid of step bars.

In the case of a car, you open the door and immediately step on the mat as your first move to entry.

Anything remotely "slick" can cause a big problem.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast