autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Foaming the engine bay

Foaming the engine bay

Did you guys catch Mike's video on Facebook about foaming the engine bay?

Maybe the video is also available on youtube?

Anyways, great stuff. Can't wait to try this next spring.

Can you elaborate on what product and dilution you used Mike?

I won't be using a foam gun, I will use my foam lance but I expect the result to be the same.

My initial gut feeling on product would be a degreaser like Meguiars Super Degreaser mixed with a little bit of Dawn soap to boost the foam. Only thing I am not sure about is the dilution ration in the foam lance... thinking 10:1 with maybe 1 once of dawn?

2. Likes The Guy liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Foaming the engine bay

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Did you guys catch Mike's video on Facebook about foaming the engine bay?

Maybe the video is also available on youtube?
    UP to now - all my videos are only on my Facebook page. The good news is I now have permission to shoot my own videos and put them on the Autogeek YouTube page. So hang tight.... I'm ramping up to do a lot of videos this year. Instead of watching everyone share my stuff in their videos - I'm going to be the OS or Original Source.

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post

Anyways, great stuff. Can't wait to try this next spring.

Can you elaborate on what product and dilution you used Mike?
    The products we used were RTU or Ready To Use - so we simply poured them straight out of the bottle into the air foamer jug.

The behind the scenes story...

I use to show the Tornador Air Foamer in all my classes but as we added more tools to show at some point - it's hard to show EVERYTHING in three days and include wetsanding, hot water extractors and steam machines. So for the last few years I simply had to cut out a few tools. One of the class members wanted to see the Tornador Air Foamer so I included them in this class.

The thing about the Tornador Air Foam is it will dang near foam ANYTHING. BUT - you really NEED a large air compressor. To keep it simple, to run any air tool for any length of time without burning out your air compressor and the motor that runs the air compressor you need a large capacity air tank. 60 gallons is best. So for anyone that does not know what a 60 gallon air compressor looks like, the tank when stood vertically is about 5-6 feet tall.

Sure smaller air compressor will work but you need 5 CFM at 90 PSI constant. The "constant" part is where a large capacity air tank comes into play but also the power to maintain it to a full level. This is pretty much true for all air tools as all air tools are AIR HOGS. Even small air tools will bleed an air tank empty if you run them constant. If you just do BURSTS then you can definitely get away with a smaller air compressor and the good news is, when using a Tornador Air Foam you do tend to use it in bursts.

Here's the video I shot during the car washing session on Saturday for the 3-day class.

Note >click< on the picture and the video will launch.

You can find all of the videos I shot from this last class on my Facebook Video Playlist here,

Mike Phillips Facebook Video Playlist

I'll be added some more today.

4. Thanks SWETM, Diner thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, Calendyr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A Kwazar Venus Pro Super Foamer works quite good if not haveing access to another foamer eqiupments. The benefit with either the Tornador or pump sprayer bottle vs foam gun and foamcannon. Is that you don't dilute it with water to create the foam with the Tornador or pump sprayer bottles. Just dilute the chemicals as recommended and foam it on.

Kwazar Venus Pro Super Foamer

Great video Mike and tips!

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Mike can you talk about using degreaser as opposed to APC in this application?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post

Mike can you talk about using degreaser as opposed to APC in this application?
    Generally speaking a dedicated degreaser is going to be better at dissolving engine grime, which would include motor oil, power steering fluid, antifreeze and the normal dirt and dirty water that gets into the engine compartment to mix with the oily/greasy substances to create a build-up of engine grime.

An APC as the name implies is a more wide-spectrum cleaner able to go after more than just engine grime.

Some guys use a dedicated degreaser for cleaning carpet inside a car but I never have. Some guys use a degreaser to clean the underside of wheel wells, be they painted, plastic or metal but I don't - but then I've never been one to specialize in cleaning fenderwells. For the most part - if I'm using any kind of "degreaser" it's for an engine compartment that's NOT basically all plastic. I did a review of the new BLACKFIRE Super Degreaser and used it as I normally would.

The pictures and the tips and techniques shared by the way are the real-deal, no mock-up or fake detailing going on here. From start to finish for just the work I was into this Camaro for about 2 hours. The write-up plus processing the pictures was about 6 hours. I don't think you find write-ups like this anywhere now days. Mostly what you see are videos and that's because no one reads any more.

How to use a Degreaser to clean your engine compartment - BLACKFIRE Super Degreaser Review

I do have an article on how to make cleaning fenderwells easier....

How to clean fender wells the lazy way!

Here's just one picture from the above article - I love to see my old 1975 Jimmy in pictures like this, 468 Big Block Chevy, no doors, 42" Swampers, that was a fast and fun truck.

8. Thanks bofh thanked for this post
    Likes bofh liked this post