autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax VS P&S Bead Maker VS Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating!

Thank you very much for the video and tests you have been doing. I know it takes a lot of time, effort and money to do these. We really appreciate your feedback and tests.

If you dont mind, perhaps throw in a "traditional" readily available ceramic coating in the mix? Just so we can see the benefit/durability of an actual coating vs the newer spray ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax VS P&S Bead Maker VS Adam's Ceramic Spray Coating!

It's a interesting test to do these heads up ones. But as noted before it's very important to get some kind of cleaning between the different chemicals testing. A coating friendly car soap that don't leave anything behind is great. Even a weak ipa wipe down would be good. The chemicals has some pretty heavy chemicals that is hard to be only rinsed off thoroughly. As it's leaves behind residue that mask the water behavior very much. I would bet that you could get the water behavior back to some point on all three test sections. If washed a couple of times with car soap and a ipa wipe down.

The second is that's Meguiars D101 in concentrate has a ph13 and D108 has ph13-ph13,9. So both is even diluted very high ph levels. And that's very much impact any LSP even a full blown coating takes a hit if used often. So the most gentle of the one used I would say is the iron remover of them. I would even say that a solvent based tar degreaser is more gentle that a high ph level degreaser is. Here in Sweden where I live we use something we call Cold Degreaser during winter months. It's based of some kind of petroleum that helps to desolve all that studded winter tires wear and tear on the asphalt roads. So it's basicly a tar degreaser. And often after used a TFR prewash foam and PW clean rinsing it off and you still see that the lower side panels and the back of the car is almost gone. Then you apply the Cold Degreaser or tar remover you get the water behavior back. This is something I recommend to do on chemical resistant sealants and coatings. To have them on the best performance of water behavior and self cleaning ability from the LSP. During the summer months we only use a gentle TFR prewash foam and it's to help desolve as much as possible of the traffic film that gets on the vehicals. This is just some experience I have with useing different kind of chemicals.

And want to ad also that something like Reload and even Gliss v1 leaves something oil based to ad up the gloss as a organic wax does. So useing a tar remover is going to be impact on the gloss level directly. And that's also so with organic waxes. The whole protection it leaves won't be desolved just the oils that they leave. It's hard to know which LSP impacts from a tar remover so it's not only Carpro Reload and Gliss that does it but many others I'm sure. And something like Carnuaba is also great to resist chemicals. It's just what else is used with it that often has weak chemical resistants. Carnuaba hybrid waxes or hybrid sealants is often a great chemical resistant LSP. The one that comes to mind is Collinite 476s.

Hope you don't take it at bashing you. It's just that I don't see what we could get out of the use of a chemical that is to powerfull to be used on most LSP. And it's many that do these chemical testing. The long testing on LSP on a vehical that is used as a DD and is maintained like the method you uses is the most effective testing on them. And it's hard to do a test that mimic those conditions. One that is quite effective would be to test how many washes it stands up to. Time consuming and also alot of elbow grease needed LOL. But there you get one factor that's also important which is wear and aggitation resistant with doing that. And use a chemical that the LSP is made to handle gives a little honest results from it.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    It's a interesting test to do these heads up ones. But as noted before it's very important to get some kind of cleaning between the different chemicals testing. A coating friendly car soap that don't leave anything behind is great. Even a weak ipa wipe down would be good. The chemicals has some pretty heavy chemicals that is hard to be only rinsed off thoroughly. As it's leaves behind residue that mask the water behavior very much. I would bet that you could get the water behavior back to some point on all three test sections. If washed a couple of times with car soap and a ipa wipe down.

The second is that's Meguiars D101 in concentrate has a ph13 and D108 has ph13-ph13,9. So both is even diluted very high ph levels. And that's very much impact any LSP even a full blown coating takes a hit if used often. So the most gentle of the one used I would say is the iron remover of them. I would even say that a solvent based tar degreaser is more gentle that a high ph level degreaser is. Here in Sweden where I live we use something we call Cold Degreaser during winter months. It's based of some kind of petroleum that helps to desolve all that studded winter tires wear and tear on the asphalt roads. So it's basicly a tar degreaser. And often after used a TFR prewash foam and PW clean rinsing it off and you still see that the lower side panels and the back of the car is almost gone. Then you apply the Cold Degreaser or tar remover you get the water behavior back. This is something I recommend to do on chemical resistant sealants and coatings. To have them on the best performance of water behavior and self cleaning ability from the LSP. During the summer months we only use a gentle TFR prewash foam and it's to help desolve as much as possible of the traffic film that gets on the vehicals. This is just some experience I have with useing different kind of chemicals.

And want to ad also that something like Reload and even Gliss v1 leaves something oil based to ad up the gloss as a organic wax does. So useing a tar remover is going to be impact on the gloss level directly. And that's also so with organic waxes. The whole protection it leaves won't be desolved just the oils that they leave. It's hard to know which LSP impacts from a tar remover so it's not only Carpro Reload and Gliss that does it but many others I'm sure. And something like Carnuaba is also great to resist chemicals. It's just what else is used with it that often has weak chemical resistants. Carnuaba hybrid waxes or hybrid sealants is often a great chemical resistant LSP. The one that comes to mind is Collinite 476s.

Hope you don't take it at bashing you. It's just that I don't see what we could get out of the use of a chemical that is to powerfull to be used on most LSP. And it's many that do these chemical testing. The long testing on LSP on a vehical that is used as a DD and is maintained like the method you uses is the most effective testing on them. And it's hard to do a test that mimic those conditions. One that is quite effective would be to test how many washes it stands up to. Time consuming and also alot of elbow grease needed LOL. But there you get one factor that's also important which is wear and aggitation resistant with doing that. And use a chemical that the LSP is made to handle gives a little honest results from it.

/ Tony
    No worries Tony, and actually thank you for the constructive feedback. That's the way it should be done. In a calm and polite manner, we can have these open discussions. Next video will be even better.

4. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 392hemi View Post
    Thank you very much for the video and tests you have been doing. I know it takes a lot of time, effort and money to do these. We really appreciate your feedback and tests.

If you dont mind, perhaps throw in a "traditional" readily available ceramic coating in the mix? Just so we can see the benefit/durability of an actual coating vs the newer spray ones?

Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate that!

Post Thanks / Like

if you were to rank these in durability which is number 1 from your hands on experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    if you were to rank these in durability which is number 1 from your hands on experience?
    I don't like commenting on durability (other than the manufacturers claims) until I personally test them long term. I have applied the products to a couple vehicles now and we're dead smack in a crazy winter here in Canada, so it will be nice for me to report in 6 months. The Meguiar's and Adam's are way too new to the market for anyone to have real world results for long term durability yet. They were both new items unveiled at SEMA, and the Meg's has been in some hands since December, and this Adam's, to my knowledge, only since January. Time will tell.

Bead Maker typically lasts an average of 2 months for me. I expect the Meguiar's to last about as much as their Ultimate Fast Finish, which for me is 5 to 6 months. And for the Adam's, they claim 6 to 8 months, so I also expect somewhere in the range of 5 months.

8. Thanks Cruzscarwash thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeVee View Post
    I 100% agree with you on that as it's the same for me. Although my viewers wanted to see this chemical resistance test, that point is lowest on the priority scale for me as the most important factors in my case are gloss and slickness. For durability and resistance to chemicals, I have base layers of ceramic coatings that are there for those duties (good coatings will resits chemicals in the range of pH 2-3 all the way up to 12-13 on the pH scale). So for maintenance washes, I like to use good toppers that will boost gloss and slickness, like Bead Maker or CarPro Reload, Kamikaze Over Coat, etc.
    Are you planning on doing any videos featuring Kamikaze Over Coat on the durability/chemical tests? I've used Kamikaze OC for a while with pretty decent results but I would love to see it go head to head with the mainstream SiO2 sprays such as Meguiar's HCW and TW Seal n Shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScionTC1283 View Post
    Are you planning on doing any videos featuring Kamikaze Over Coat on the durability/chemical tests? I've used Kamikaze OC for a while with pretty decent results but I would love to see it go head to head with the mainstream SiO2 sprays such as Meguiar's HCW and TW Seal n Shine.
    Haven’t seen Pan on here in a long while. Might get a better answer on posting on one of his video’s

I can tell you durability may not be much longer. But has for water behavior (beading and rolling off). OC slaughters those two.

I have not used Somax PNS and would love to see a head to head of those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12