autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Video: All about Lake Country Microfiber Buffing Pads with Dave Patterson and Mike Phillips

Video: All about Lake Country Microfiber Buffing Pads with Dave Patterson and Mike Phillips

Lake Country Microfiber Buffing Pads

Lots of great info about microfiber technology as it relates to pad design and use from Dave Patterson. At the 325 I cover the history of where and why microfiber pads come from in the industry and relate it to traditional wool pads and rotary buffers. I've typed out the reason for microfiber pads for years and now you can hear the backstory in this video.

David goes onto explain why their pads won't saturate like a normal foam pad, good stuff. (use less pads to buff out a car)

Here's a couple of screen grabs....

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Video: All about Lake Country Microfiber Buffing Pads with Dave Patterson and Mike Phillips

What was the verdict on using these on a Flex 3401? I vaguely remember buying some for mine a long time ago, I'm not sure I ever used them but I thought I remember the member consensus being that the 3401 didn't like MF pads. Can someone refresh my memory?

Mike Phillips

Re: Video: All about Lake Country Microfiber Buffing Pads with Dave Patterson and Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

What was the verdict on using these on a Flex 3401?

I vaguely remember buying some for mine a long time ago, I'm not sure I ever used them but I thought I remember the member consensus being that the 3401 didn't like MF pads. C

an someone refresh my memory?

The word is

grabby

When you buff with the 8mm gear-driven FLEX 3401 the buffing experience feels grabby, as in the pad will tend to grab onto the paint and pull the polisher in some direction. I remember posting about this in a Thursday night class years ago.

So can you use a mf pad with the FLEX 3401? The answer is yes but it feels kind of grabby. Instead, if I REALLY want to cut with a FLEX 3401 I'll slap on a "normal" wool cutting pad that you would normally use with a rotary buffer and go to town...

Like I shared here,

How to restore a Barn Find - 1969 Ford Thunderbird - #7 Rub Out + FLEX = 3D products

Now take the same microfiber pad and put it on ANY FREE SPINNING ORBITAL and it's as smooth as butter....

Post Thanks / Like

The microfiber cutting pad is nice. The smaller sizes also work well on the Rupes iBrid Nano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The word is

grabby
    Thanks, Mike.