autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    I'd say so, I know when I bring it up I get the deer in the headlights look.

So watched the video and here's the few things I enjoyed (besides all of it). And things I wish it showed.

1. The first time you clayed the car it would have been nice to see the dirt it took off. I know it's shown later but it would have been nice to see it at that point.

2.i wish you showed cleaning on the fly with a Terry cloth towel as well, it's good to know.

3. I'm very happy to see that you left in some bloopers, like when you stumble on your speech when your about to start your test spot. I feel it added character to the video.

4. While it wouldn't have been the best example to use for the car you were working, introducing or talking/showing a paint gauge meter would have been nice to see or know about for newbies.

5. Explanation of why you didn't tape your edges or trim would have been beneficial so that those that are new don't take it as a never needed step.

6. A bit more explanation on how many pads to use, just a simple mention of " on average 1 pad per panel/S depending on..." I feel would have been a good addition.

7 more of a personal thing but my eyes were drawn to the buttons on your shirt and winding if they ever made contact with the paint.

8. Some scenes you are seen touching the paint with gloves and then in others without gloves. Just one of those things in consistency that I noticed.

Overall this is an amazing video and a great place for someone who has never polished a car to learn from the beginning to end on how to do it and the small things that are over looked (cleaning the pad after a pass, test spots)I really hope we can expect more excellent videos like this one this upcoming year.

Thanks AG once again

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Great points and feedback. Thank you!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great video. Its worth sharing. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Great video! Many will appreciate this true how to video. A few questions I had were answered with the numerous posts. However, I do still have a couple of questions.

Once you determined the white pad and swirl remover was not aggressive enough, you moved on to compound and an orange pad. When switching to compound, do you ever use a different color pad? I was curious why orange vs yellow or even white.

What towels did you use for this process? You mentioned edge rolled towels. It looked like you used two different types of towels. Could you share a link?

I'm a little envious of those painted stripes. My 2007 Shelby has vinyl and it is always a fight. Any tips for working with and around them would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish-image-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

what can you say, another great informative video by Mike Phillips. I've been watching Mike's video's for a few years now, he never disappoints!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great video, thanks for all the free information Mike. This is why I only buy from autogeek!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

I've made a lot of videos in my life. Last summer Yancy and I made a brand new video series for our ROKU channel. After they were edited and placed on our ROKU channel I never got around to actually watching them. Last week I watched this video on exterior car detailing for the first time. In my my opinion, it's our best video ever on the topic of machine polishing and EVERYTHING related to machine polishing is included in the video.

Do me a favor please

Grab your favorite beverage, hot coffee, cold soda and expand the video to fill the entire screen and give it a watch and the if you would be so kind, reply to this thread with what you think about the content and presentation of the subject matter.

I also think this demonstrates Yancy's incredible skill as our "Creative Director". Nice work Yancy.

Thank you and enjoy.

Vey helpful video.. thanks for sharing it to us. <3

Post Thanks / Like

Its an amazing video. Very informative.

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

The best video on how to machine polish. I guarantee it.

I wrote the definition for Section Passes and the definition for Test Spot, so I'm pretty confident I was accurate in how I demonstrated how to do both in this video.

The definition of a pass
    There are two definitions of the word pass as it relates to machine polishing with any type of machine.

Single Pass
    A single pass is just that. It's when you move the polisher from one side of the section you're buffing to the other side of the section you're buffing. That's a single pass.

Section Pass
    A section pass is when you move the polisher back and forth, or front to back with enough single overlapping passes to cover the entire section one time. That's a section pass.

In most cases if you're removing any substantial below surface defects you're going to make 6-8 section passes to the section you’re working before you either feel comfortable you've removed the defects or you're at the end of the buffing cycle for the product you're using.

Test Spot - The story behind the story...

How To Do a Test Spot

Here's another good article everyone should read BEFORE using a polisher for the first time.

DA Polisher Trouble Shooting Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed the video very well done.

Excellent primer for my annual polish / wax of my daily driver. I always come here to refresh in my mind what I need to do.

Mentioning taping off a car was the only thing I could think of that could be possibly added for someone that's never done this before.

Thanks to you and Autogeek.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ech0 View Post
    Enjoyed the video very well done.

Excellent primer for my annual polish / wax of my daily driver. I always come here to refresh in my mind what I need to do.

Mentioning taping off a car was the only thing I could think of that could be possibly added for someone that's never done this before.

Thanks to you and Autogeek.

Thank you for your feedback and we're glad you like the video and it helps you as that is the primary goal of the info in the video.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast