autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

I very much enjoyed this video!

It's in your classic style of presentation, thorough, complete, and informative. Absolutely a winner!

Thanks for making it!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched this video a few days ago was a nice update. I especially enjoyed the surface coating video you did Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike that was a great video. Yes, Yancy did a great job. How long did it take to shoot this video up to the end of your test spot?

Post Thanks / Like

I liked the video. It is high quality and did a great job of showing the steps involved in polishing a car from start to finish. I think this is a good video for beginners to learn the process of polishing.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by ShineDoc View Post

Mike that was a great video. Yes, Yancy did a great job.
    On behalf of Yancy and the team here at AG - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineDoc View Post

How long did it take to shoot this video up to the end of your test spot?
    We were under pressure to pump out 9 videos as part of a Detailing 101 class (online), that includes 9 written tests over the subject matter.

We filmed all 9 videos in 2 1/2 days. Believe it or not that's working very fast. Some of the videos were done in one take. That saves editing time.

For comparison, when Bob McKee and I flew out to California to shoot two thirty second TV commercials we shot them in two days, one day for each commercial and each commercial took approximately 12 hours.

So I think 9 long, in-depth videos in 2.5 days compared to 2 - 30 second commercials in 2 12 hour days is pretty good.

Here's the 30 second commercials in case you've never seen them on TV. The second commercial is the one where I fell and broke my leg.

Here's the two 30 second TV commercials,

Out of curiosity, I checked the stats for the above two TV commercials and there's also two there for Matt Steele

To answer your question about how long did it take to get from the start of the video to the end of the test spot? Probably about an hour or so...

Post Thanks / Like

That is truly the "best" video I have ever seen and covers every important aspect of each step. Absolutely outstanding!

From your initial post above, Mike, i gathered you also wanted some constructive comments so let me just mention a couple. Bear in mind I already knew just about everything you mentioned but I watched the vid with a mindset of someone who has never done this before and will tackle it solely based on this video.

You used a 2 step approach with an initial compound followed by a refining polish. After your second test spot (more aggressive compound and pad) the paint looks phenomenal. Some may see those results and figure " hey, that got 'em...why does he need a finish polish? ". Because a compound, while effective at cutting, typically doesn't complete the paint flattening and leaves behind what the final polish cleans up. You didn't really explain that but go onto the finish polish step which is an assumption anyway. Again, Mike, just noticed a question that someone who's never done this may ask.

The only other thing I do from studying you over the years is I am a shake-a-holic. I shake every bottle of product i use every single time i grab it! No lie. I now shake shampoo, ketchup, salad dressings, shave cream etc. because I am in that habit. I thought you might mention that but again, no biggie.

Both of my comments won't screw something up if omitted from your incredibally comprehensive video. I certainly don't think for even a second I could do anything nearly as good as The Master however simply offer my thoughts on what a noob might ask or see. Thank you and Yancy for working on that and putting it up so potentially millions can see the exact right way to do it! It truly is "the BEST video ever" on this topic and I'm proud it's right here on Autogeek.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Best video ever on how to machine buff a car from start to finish

thank you, mike and yancy for the great video. no one can even come close... you
    guys R O C K I N T H E U S A !!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Mike and Yancy. You should make a DVD of this and include it in every buffer kit package even though it shows the Porter Cable it applies to the basics with all machines. I like how you don't need a teleprompter because you are the master and just talk off the cuff about what you know best. Also I think your sales would increase dramatically because a lot of new detailers would see what steps and products they are either missing or need to get the results they are looking for. Bravo to Autogeek.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Great video as all of your videos are and I even love your book. Thanks for all the help over the years
    Rock solid information from a true master..

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, Do you normally wear Nitrile gloves when detailing? I would think you hands would be a mess from using all those different products. Mine dry out and crack.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast