autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you state detailing experience on a job resume?

Hi everyone,
    Thanks in advance for your advice. I am not sure what section is best for my questions here but figured the info would help others. I need help how to describe my detailing experience on a professional job resume.

I have been operating my own independent mobile detailing business for 5 years now, and have primarily been operating as a one man show but have on occasions had helpers. I am proficient with a DA and rotary and frequently wetsand vehicles. I pretty much perform all detailing services but repainting. My customers always remark how their vehicle looks better than when they bought it off the lot after my detailing services are performed and so now I do have regular monthly customers. As a one man operation I have had to do all aspects of the business such as marketing, supply purchasing, inventory control, answering phones, transporting, billing, and the actual labor.

Though I have only been in the business for five years now, it is time to move on. I am only 34 and now have a severe case of carpal tunnel brought on by my detailing, and other factors from a previously broken wrist. I have a wife and child to financially provide for and would also like to reduce the stress and time away brought on by operating my own business. I am seeking employment options in the corporate world and it seems as if my detailing experience is keeping employers at bay. Apparently operating as a one man show now has potential employers wondering how I might be in a team setting or just following instructions from management. Before detailing though, I served in retail management, briefly sold cars and insurance, and hired and trained 140+ sales reps for a Cutco kitchenwares management job, and held other roles which would illustrate that I do have the skills to benefit a corporate employer. It's just that I have not clearly been demonstrating these skills for the past five years while conducting my detailing business.

I do greatly enjoy the auto industry and performing detailing services but I can no longer perform a full day of continuous detailing work. I would love to find a steady job as a detail shop manager in the Cincinnati, Ohio area if possible so that I may stay within the field. However, for the betterment of my family I am seeking more of a marketing, sales, customer service based corporate job. Currently my family and I are in Charleston, SC but will be moving to Cincinnati, Oh to live closer to her relatives once I find a job.

My questions:
    1) What jobs have other detailers obtained after "retiring"?
    2) What is the best way to portray my small business detailing experience on a resume when applying for a.) a professional career position outside the field and b.) available positions for detailing management?

This is how I currently have my detail experience on my resume:

Small Business Owner,
    Sahr Car Detailing Charleston, SC (January 2011- Present)
    Operates independent mobile detailing business servicing classic cars, boats, RVs, and daily drivers

• Implements various marketing techniques and promotions to develop a loyal and growing customer base
    • Manages inventory, cost controls, and all aspects required to run a successful small business
    • Two time winner of the highest award for “Best of Show” at the national Concours d’Elegance – Celebration of the Art & Design of the Automobile.
    • Hand-selected from 5 state area by well-known international retailer, Meguiar's, to perform detailing on a classic Corvette displayed in a museum exhibit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you state detailing experience on a job resume?

What are you after ,corporate or detailing what job do you like the most.You mentioned full time detail manager then you mentioned marketing Corp position which one?

Post Thanks / Like

I think showing interviewer that you operated your own business,
    and you have a lot to show from what you did, such as winning award for "Best of Show" and getting selected as well known is great advantage to you!
    also when people hire someone, one main thing they looking for is "how well this person pay attention do details" and who else can do this better than detailer

I think in order to success in detailing business, doing a great job on polishing is important too, but first you need to have good people skills to sell yourself to others so I think sales will fit you very well. ( just my .2)

I know I didn't really answer any of your questions, but just wanted to say "good luck".

After all, you can still detail cars once in a while as side job if you miss it
    Please like my page

Jae @ ONYX Detail Garage

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen countless times when being self employed it works against you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I've seen countless times when being self employed it works against you.
    I agree.

What's important to emphasize are the skills you used as they are relevant to the job you are applying for.

This is a really shoddy comparison, but say if you're applying for an audit position for an accounting firm:

I would emphasize your attention to detail and ability to differentiate certain defects.

This could (again a crappy comparison) show your competency to paying attention to balance sheets and the ability to spot wrong doing.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

6. Likes DetailKitty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First of all:
    Since you've had gainful employment, other
    than being a Detailer/Detailing Business Owner:
    use those experiences to your advantage!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Onward.

•It's a well-known fact that recruiters will (very
    quickly) scan...not read...a resume; and, that
    during this resume scanning process they are looking, specifically, at four main areas of interest:
    -Job titles;
    -Companies you worked at; along with:
    -Their start/end dates
    -Education.

•So with that narrow focus in mind, this means that:
    -it's imperative you make these four areas extremely
    easy for them to find. Therefore:
    -Structure your resume accordingly.

•Also, be aware that whatever else that you have
    on your resume to support your qualifications...
    -the recruiter will only take a few seconds to find
    it (and be impressed with it)...whether it's on the
    resume's cover page, or not.

•Proofread your resume:
    -no errors, spelling or otherwise, are acceptable
    -professional email address(es) only

•BTW: Are you "LinkedIn"?
    -Many recruiters and hiring managers now
    use LinkedIn profiles, either to verify...or
    to supplement...resume information.

•Good Luck! in your transition from being
    a Business owner, to your desired position
    out there in the Corporate World.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conman1395 View Post

I would emphasize your attention to detail and ability to differentiate certain defects.

This could (again a crappy comparison) show your competency to paying attention to balance sheets and the ability to spot wrong doing.
    Thanks! That is a great point that I will add to my resume. At this time, I still have the entrepreneur bug in me but need to shift away from self employment for a while. I do enjoy the customer service aspect of the detailing business and being able to relate to many types of people without being trapped inside a building. Everyday is a new adventure instead of the regular mundane activities in most corporate settings. I am wide open in regards to a type of job but do know that my weak math skills will not work for accounting! A sales job with a physical product in a store or preset appointments would be great. My ambitions lean towards insurance or real estate but I need a break from all the hassle to obtain prospective clients and all the constant followup. A guaranteed paid position that operates like a commission based job is what I am after. What that is for me only God knows right now.

I do have a Linked-In page but its currently setup for attracting detailing clients. I will revamp that today.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck,we all have to make changes to move forward in life.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    What are you after ,corporate or detailing what job do you like the most.You mentioned full time detail manager then you mentioned marketing Corp position which one?
    Hello,

Updating my resume to apply for a different job and I have a question. I have my main full time job that I started in 2000 that I currently still have. In 2010 I started a small side business doing computer repair. On my resume I have the work experience listed chronologically newest on top. Since my computer job is a small side business, should I still have that listed at the top or the primary full time job I have? The side business does have skills and such that is pertinent to the job I will be applying for. Thanks for your time and help on this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damsharo View Post
    Hello,

Updating my resume to apply for a different job and I have a question. I have my main full time job that I started in 2000 that I currently still have. In 2010 I started a small side business doing computer repair. On my resume I have the work experience listed chronologically newest on top. Since my computer job is a small side business, should I still have that listed at the top or the primary full time job I have? The side business does have skills and such that is pertinent to the job I will be applying for. Thanks for your time and help on this.
    You can also DM me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast