autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How did you start?

I am completely new to having a detailing business as my full-time job, and I wanted to know what did you do that helped or impeded your business?

I honestly wish I spent more time on the forum before I got to where I am now. The name of my business is Obsessive Compulsive Detailing, I know super over used, but everyone I have met gets a kick out of it and it doesn't help that I have a bachelors in Psychology (that I just finished) and my girlfriend has a masters in Cognitive psychology...

I've been using facebook and a website for my business with very little success. I also have been handing out business cards like they are candy. I wear a company shirt as often as possible, and have logo's all over my personal car(2012 Passat) since I don't have a dedicated rig yet.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OCD-Obsessi...homepage_panel

I primarily have been working at customers houses, or in my personal garage for larger details. I have a wide variety of products, and have been detailing my own vehicles and a handful of others vehicles while I was in the army for over 10 years. I can get more specific about products/accessories I have if needed.

So as previously asked what has helped or impeded your business, and what was your start up rig?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did you start?

I have a few questions for you. How clean is your Passat right now? Do many people call you from the blind handouts of your business cards? What polisher[s] do you own?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep my Passat extremely clean. I don't think it would work very well if I was promoting detailing in a dirty car. I've had more luck at local chambers of commerce as opposed to blind handouts, but that also could be because I spend most of me time on a college campus where there is not a lot of expendable income (yay being a fulltime student). Right now I have a porter cable 7424xp. I have been doing everything for the set up out of pocket, so my set up is still pretty small. I am saving up for more equipment, including a dedicated vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spikester7878 View Post
    I am completely new to having a detailing business as my full-time job, and I wanted to know what did you do that helped or impeded your business?

I honestly wish I spent more time on the forum before I got to where I am now. The name of my business is Obsessive Compulsive Detailing, I know super over used, but everyone I have met gets a kick out of it and it doesn't help that I have a bachelors in Psychology (that I just finished) and my girlfriend has a masters in Cognitive psychology...

I've been using facebook and a website for my business with very little success. I also have been handing out business cards like they are candy. I wear a company shirt as often as possible, and have logo's all over my personal car(2012 Passat) since I don't have a dedicated rig yet.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OCD-Obsessi...homepage_panel

I primarily have been working at customers houses, or in my personal garage for larger details. I have a wide variety of products, and have been detailing my own vehicles and a handful of others vehicles while I was in the army for over 10 years. I can get more specific about products/accessories I have if needed.

So as previously asked what has helped or impeded your business, and what was your start up rig?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
    I started with 25.00 and up car washes,you will build quickly in a year then weed out the people that you just cannot upsell.Along the way you will be getting exposure if your mobile.Give your new clients who spend the vip treatment and tell them to tell there friends,and it will multiply over time?And most importantly focus on who is gonna scale your business,a lawyer or doc or any client with money.Stay away from beater cars,they will use you once and call you in 1 year from now for that 25.00 car wash .

Post Thanks / Like

Most new business problems come down to this: obscurity, people do not know you exist. Fix that and everything will start moving.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

6. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I've been trying to get the word our, but it doesn't seem to be spreading.

For those who started mobile what was your set up when you started? Should a dedicated work vehicle like a ford transit or chevy hhr be a main goal to help with growth or should I focus on building a customer base and spreading the word first.

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck with your venture! I am in the same boat so looking forward to some good lessons learned from the knowledgeable and helpful members on here!

Post Thanks / Like

I started on my HOA Facebook page, then a craigslist type page for my town. I posted a couple reflection shots and my price for a complete detail. Had a car or two a week from that. I still work full time a regular job so that was enough.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spikester7878 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I've been trying to get the word our, but it doesn't seem to be spreading.

For those who started mobile what was your set up when you started? Should a dedicated work vehicle like a ford transit or chevy hhr be a main goal to help with growth or should I focus on building a customer base and spreading the word first.
    When having a dedicated vehicle for detailing,such as a transit etc it shows you are committed and it does help ,like when your pumping gas and someone ask for a card.But will it guarantee anything to make you run out and buy one no.If you provide good service and quality work and prices that the general public can comprehend than you can worry about that later.

Post Thanks / Like

buying a dedicated vehicle will not get you jobs, customers will get you jobs.

actively post on your personal FB, do a referral program.

95% of my business is from word of mouth and referrals. feel free to message me on FB if you'd like to chat some more (Rich Frommann)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast