autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting Up Part Time Detailing

Hey, I was wondering if any of you have started a small detailing business? If so, how did you start up. I am a junior in high school and want to start a part time auto detail for a summer job. It would start off small doing a basic wash and wax and claying. Any suggestions on how to start this pursuit? Also, any ideas on how much to charge for a washing and waxing? All advice would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting Up Part Time Detailing

With your intentions, I would go with a Griots Garage 6, third generation. It ' s a great unit for the $ and provides a liftime guarantee. Hard to beat. This in the only machine I own and it works wonderfully. As far as products, I would look to Mcguiars or Menzerna both will heat the job done. Others will chime in. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Post Thanks / Like

how much to charge is based on your target market and your location. For me, standard wash and wax on a sedan would be $40

Post Thanks / Like

If you're doing washing and waxing that will be about $50 on a sedan. People will hire you based on you prices. You'll most likely be cash or check, so just undercut whomever else is in your area.

Products of your doing something that basic, keep your products cheap. Something like Megs Cleaner Wax. Its like $8 will achieve what you want it too and everyone will be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

OTS is very right in that your market will help guide your prices, but just let them be a guide. All markets are different, for example my basic wash, Nanoskin mitt decon, and wax is $120. I'm the most expensive here, but no one that I know of is in the $40 range - but that's just my market. Do some research on your specific market and see what other shops charge and try to be in the same range - ideally you'd like to be higher than the average shop in your market.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by North26 View Post
    If you're doing washing and waxing that will be about $50 on a sedan. People will hire you based on you prices. You'll most likely be cash or check, so just undercut whomever else is in your area.

Products of your doing something that basic, keep your products cheap. Something like Megs Cleaner Wax. Its like $8 will achieve what you want it too and everyone will be happy.
    Going the route of undercutting your competition only hurts all of you in the long run. Instead help build your market up - you'll also attract better clients if your prices are higher.
    Dynamic Detailing
    Website | Instagram | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy98 View Post
    Hey, I was wondering if any of you have started a small detailing business? If so, how did you start up. I am a junior in high school and want to start a part time auto detail for a summer job. It would start off small doing a basic wash and wax and claying. Any suggestions on how to start this pursuit? Also, any ideas on how much to charge for a washing and waxing? All advice would be appreciated.
    First step get Renny Doyles book.

How to Start a Home-based Car Detailing Business, car detailing book, best auto detailing books
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your advice everyone. My plan is to be mobile, so I am wondering if it would be wrong to use the clients water and later on use their electricity for a polisher.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy98 View Post
    Thank you for your advice everyone. My plan is to be mobile, so I am wondering if it would be wrong to use the clients water and later on use their electricity for a polisher.
    As long as it's agreeable before hand. Everything needs to be up-front before you start. Look for Mikes VIF, sorry don't have the link right now. The key is they know exactly what you doing and their expectations match. No surprises anywhere. Good luck @ take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I need a business license to do this? And if so, how does one file for a business license?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast