autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Profit Margins

Post Thanks / Like

Profit Margins

Hey guys I'm trying to calculate profit margins. I'm an at home detailer and can't get a true figure because my purchases and income is SCATTERED over the years, I only have a ballpark from the past year and a half.

What types of numbers are you guys estimating for your own business? Please state if you are mobile/stationary as well!
    It's never too late to learn a little.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Profit Margins

I'm stationary and the best way to keep track is by using something like quick books.

Post Thanks / Like

Profit Margins

I too a home base detailer.
    My method:
    product cost (polish ~ LSP)
    Utilities bill
    Machine pads and microfiber
    Workmanship (profit margin) - variable depends on specific job like wheels off, LSP prep and application. The cheapest I charge is waxing follow by sealant and more for coating.

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

I starting working out of my home in January and I made a excel spreadsheet and track everything on it every time I order or buy anything detail related (even if it for my own car). Also on the same sheet I put customer info and date and how much I charged and it totals everything up for me.

Post Thanks / Like

What types of numbers are you guys estimating for your own business? Please state if you are mobile/stationary as well![/QUOTE]

My margins vary quite a bit depending on the service I am providing. For instance if I am doing a Headlight Resto, I am at roughly 10%-for parts, fuel, 90% obviously is labor. If I do the same job at my shop I am at about 6% parts and 94% labor. Right now I am trying to operate at $60 an hour, and my H/L Resto jobs start at $60. I get the job done in about 20 min in my shop and if I go mobile the job is about an hour usually from port to port.

My margins on my details are about 15%-18% parts and 85% to 82% labor. They vary a little depending on the detail package. I always try to sell my add ons when needed because the margins are greater and help make up for a job that might take a bit longer or if I under bid the job it helps make up for it. Like the previous poster I set up a general ledger in excel. Each type of expense is coded along with sales. My expenses include everthing from products to meals, fuel costs, advertising, IT, ect...I have my shop sales and mobile sales separted into 2 profit centers in order to track margins separatly. I pay myself 60% of the job the other 40% goes back into the business.

I should have asked which margins you were looking for? Product to Labor margins? Product mark up? Efficiency? Productivity?

Hope this helps, I tend to ramble between 2am and 8am...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Joz this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for dropping numbers right in the thread, very helpful. I saw the rest of the guys use programs such as Quickbooks, but how did you come up with your margins? To answer your question, I'm looking for profit margins, and labor to product margins, but all are helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by JozMotorsports View Post
    What types of numbers are you guys estimating for your own business? Please state if you are mobile/stationary as well!
    My margins vary quite a bit depending on the service I am providing. For instance if I am doing a Headlight Resto, I am at roughly 10%-for parts, fuel, 90% obviously is labor. If I do the same job at my shop I am at about 6% parts and 94% labor. Right now I am trying to operate at $60 an hour, and my H/L Resto jobs start at $60. I get the job done in about 20 min in my shop and if I go mobile the job is about an hour usually from port to port.

My margins on my details are about 15%-18% parts and 85% to 82% labor. They vary a little depending on the detail package. I always try to sell my add ons when needed because the margins are greater and help make up for a job that might take a bit longer or if I under bid the job it helps make up for it. Like the previous poster I set up a general ledger in excel. Each type of expense is coded along with sales. My expenses include everthing from products to meals, fuel costs, advertising, IT, ect...I have my shop sales and mobile sales separted into 2 profit centers in order to track margins separatly. I pay myself 60% of the job the other 40% goes back into the business.

I should have asked which margins you were looking for? Product to Labor margins? Product mark up? Efficiency? Productivity?

Hope this helps, I tend to ramble between 2am and 8am...lol.[/QUOTE]
    It's never too late to learn a little.