autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another starting out thread

Hello all,

Some background to me will give you some idea how little I know. Started off 18 years ago at a local Simoniz car wash. Worked my way up there and moved onto a smaller but more thorough detailing center. Worked there for a few years polishing vehicles with a rotary buffer until a guy who owned a counter top polishing company hired me. Learned that trade and when I moved to California took all of my tools with me and do that on the side. I work at a pharmaceutical manufacturing currently as a warehouseman for third shift. I get to drive a forklift and only work for about 2 hours, rest of the time I am online. Needless to say my side business of polishing marble and granite counter tops is dead since everyone is glazing them now and I refuse to do that. (why you would want to put vanish on a $5,000 to $70,000 counter top is beyond me).

So now I have a lot of time on my hands. Figured I would start doing 1 step car washes and interiors in the area. Los Angeles seems to have a few daily drivers around that people need washed. I have some tools that are the basic for stone polishing that will work in car washes, I think...

Mytee lite II
    60 gallon water tank with sprinkler pump that plugs into a 6,000 watt converter.
    Honda 6000ui generator (second one got stolen)
    Flex PE 14-2 150 rotary buffer
    Flex XC3401VRG DA
    wet dry vacuum
    6 gallon air compressor with hoses and nozzles
    A bunch of auto detail brushes (the ones used for vents, engines, etc)

Outside of those items I have picked up the following detailing my 4 vehicles

Wash mitt
    pads for DA (black, blue, orange)
    Brush for wheels (dedicated brush)
    Brush for tire wells (dedicated brush)
    microfiber towel (2 of these)
    water blade

Bought the following the other day:
    50 foot garden hose
    microfiber applicator
    microfiber rags ( 2-24 packs of yellow and blue)
    Gallon of wash and wax (3D brand)
    Dressing (3D brand)
    Tire cleaner (again 3D brand)
    Gallon of HDX purple degreaser
    Invisible glass

The only item I don't have and don't plan on buying soon is a pressure washer. Wife won't let me buy any tools until I do make some money outside of my main job. I was taught not to use one as it blows water into places not meant to have water and it is easier to dry when it sheets off. This was what I learned 15 years ago so might just stay with what Rob taught me, then again the world changes. The only problem is people might not believe they are getting a decent wash because everyone in the area uses pressure washer and some use the foam cannon attachment. Sorry for the long post, but decided to put this out there and see if i am missing anything. I have lurked for about a year now and have watched all of the you tube videos and read the book by Mr. Doyle.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Another starting out thread

My plans went to crap. Never should have switched brands that I was comfortable with and knew they worked. Literally threw that 3D brand stuff in the dumpster. Here is what I am used to working with. Any advice on improving would be appreciated.

Detailer Rinse Free Express Wash by Meguiars

Gold Class Premium Quik Wax by Meguiars

Citric Wheel and tire cleaner by Chem Bros

M105, M205, Ultimate Compound by Meguiars

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing by Pinnacle

LEATHER & VINYL CLEANER by Pinnacle

Vinyl and Rubber cleaner by Pinnacle

Invisible Glass

Folex pretreatment

Upholstery Shampoo by Chem Bros

Post Thanks / Like

Never heard of or used 3D products, so can't give you an insight there. All the other products you listed in work well and are spoken of highly here.

I wouldn't worry about not having a pressure washer. You can get use a foamer with a garden hose if you feel it'll help you appear more like other established companies in your area. I thought California had water use issues, so maybe you'd have to do reclamation too? Not sure, but something to check into.

Also, if doing daily drivers you shouldn't be breaking out compounds and polishes that often. Just use an AIO like meguiars D151 or Klasse. There's more options, but I've used and liked those two.

Make sure you have enough pads. I didn't see if you specified how many you had but generally 3-5 per vehicle is suggested.

There's nothing you listed that I would avoid, just giving you some things to consider!

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I would get some waffle weave towels for drying. Are the microfiber towels you have for a box store? If they are you might want to pick up some better quality ones from AG. You will instill less swirls. You are going to need more pads for your da and this will depend on your process that will be used when doing a test spot or experience.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

You know there is water ban now in Cali?