autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: business name

Post Thanks / Like

business name

Hey guys/gals,
    I am working towards starting a part time detailing business, as is after my regular job. Thinking of turning this hobby into a business. Basically just see where it takes me before bailing on my current income. I have always taken care of mine and family members cars, now i want to make money doing it if possible. Have started with some pics on Facebook to attract new people from places like more distant friends and wife's co-workers(i work at a small repair shop with just the owner and his wife). Should I come up with a name and create a Facebook page to start promoting or keep it on my personal page for now?
    Thinking of names(because i would need one for a business page on Facebook) i came up with Clean Shine Deatailing. Seems simple enough to remember and know what is offered, while not being too personal for a potential exit strategy after it is built up. Thought that if i go with something super easy to remember including area i live such as, Upstate Auto Detailing, it may sound bland to higher end clients down the road.
    What do you all think and why?
    Thanks for any help,
    Nutbolt

Also, thinking of using Facebook like and share feature to offer one free detail including wash, clay, AIO, interior vacuum and wipe down after this inclement ICE weather we have had in our area in an attempt to promote more word of mouth advertising once completed. Good idea or no?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: business name

83 views and no one haas any input? come on guys give me a few ideas...

Post Thanks / Like

Clean Shine Detailing doesn't seem much different than Upstate Auto Detailing, IMO. Both are very generic. If anything, UAD is more memorable because it says Auto.

It's kinda hard for us to tell you what to name your business without any details about where you are, who you're trying to market to, what you offer, etc. There have been a few recent threads about this sort of thing.

Using Facebook is probably always a good idea. I can't give you any advice about that since I'm anti-FB personally. But it definitely can give you exposure for free that is beneficial.

However, giving away free service (especially a full detail) will almost certainly bite you in the ass. You'll spend the first month or two (since it's a part-time gig now) working for free. Not my idea of a good way to get excited about a new venture. And the word of mouth that you get is going to be "hey, check out this free detailer!" Emphasis on the word 'free'. You'll be very popular among people who won't spend their money for a detail normally. And who probably won't be back if they have to pay. Just my opinion, of course. You're setting the value of your service low. You want to do the opposite. Set the value high, then give them a deal. It's how the tv infomercial guys do it... "But wait.. there's more!" They don't give away everything, ever.

If you offer a FB deal, I'd suggest something like "free vacuum when you purchase wash/wax". Or better yet, list the 'normal' (future) prices of your services and say "50% off when you call in April!"

Put some awesome before/after photos on your FB/website, of course. Include interiors, headlights and engine bays if you offer those services.

Something I just thought of, also... if you want to be seen as 'providing additional service' and trying to get your customers educated about keeping their cars looking good, you might consider offering QD and MF towels at reasonable prices to customers. Explain how they would use it to keep their car looking good. That's something the Scrub-a-Dub centers don't do.

Just a few things to get you started.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people (including myself) start a detailing business and forget about the business side of things. Decided if this is going to be a job where you earn an income or this is going to be a business, which will some day be an asset to you.

I highly suggest searching these forums and google for all the information you can. A lot of the questions you've asked aren't unique and have been answered before, so while you're waiting for people to chime in, research, then it will allow you to ask better and better questions.

Renny Doyle has a great book (at most libraries) about starting a detailing business, check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    A lot of people (including myself) start a detailing business and forget about the business side of things. Decided if this is going to be a job where you earn an income or this is going to be a business, which will some day be an asset to you.

I highly suggest searching these forums and google for all the information you can. A lot of the questions you've asked aren't unique and have been answered before, so while you're waiting for people to chime in, research, then it will allow you to ask better and better questions.

Renny Doyle has a great book (at most libraries) about starting a detailing business, check it out.
    thank you

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nutbolt View Post
    thank you
    Follow my Facebook account. I have had a lot of success boosting specific posts, but I also know what fails miserably.

I look at Facebook as a place to start a detailing dialog with potential customers. It lets them see your work (behind the scene stuff) and let's your personality flow through. I get a lot of new business and referrals from Facebook. It's so simple for a customer to click share, like, or share their actual experience in the comments of the post with their vehicle.

www.Facebook.com/Incrediblydetailed