autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"Wash and wax" ....to machine wax or aerosol?

This year I am going to be offering a "wash and wax" service to gain more customers with a quick detail that I can do in 4-6 hours. I am starting the price at $100 for SUVs/large trucks and $85 for cars/small trucks. Maybe a tad high, but I have found out the hard way that it is much easier to lower a price then raise it. Here is what I am including in this package:

1) Exterior hand wash with premium soap, 2 bucket method, and hand dried
    2) Premium wax applied to entire vehicles finish
    3) Exterior & Interior glass cleaned
    4) Door Jambs wiped down
    5) Thorough wheel cleaning
    6) Tires cleaned and dressed
    7) Standard vacuum of mats, seats, carpet, and trunk/hatch
    8) All interior cabin hard surfaces wiped down (dash, interior trim, door panels, vents etc.)

I was originally planning on applying a "wax" (most likely Pinnacle Liquid Souveran, Optimum Poli-Seal, or Pinnacle XMT 360) with my Flex 3401. Now I realize that the Poli-Seal and XMT 360 are a little more then just a wax, but I feel like I should be giving the customer the most for their dollar (this is only my 2nd year detailing as a business so still trying to gain my customer base).

Then I watched a video of Renny Doyle talking about the aerosol wax/sealants that are out today and how they can be a very profitable tool for detailers due to their low cost and super easy/fast application. I started looking into some (Sonax Polymer Net Shield, DP Quick Wax, and Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax) and I definitely feel like they would help me add a little more profit to my wash and wax service by using one of them instead of the products I was planning on using. I realize that these aerosol wax/sealants have no polishing ability like the Poli-Seal and XMT 360 do, but how are their filling capabilities and longevity? I honestly don't want to feel like I am ripping off the customer by applying a wax/sealant from an aerosol can, but I wouldn't feel bad if it gives similar results to a true liquid based wax such as Pinnacle Souveran. The time it frees up for me would allow me to spend a little more time on the interior or add in a trim dressing to the service without increasing the price.

I would love to hear you guys thoughts on this regarding the aerosol wax/sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "Wash and wax" ....to machine wax or aerosol?

I've used SPNS many times, I do not consider it to be a time saver at all compared to spreading a liquid sealant/wax by machine.

If you're looking for a true time saver, you need a product like CarPro HydrO2... simply spray, rinse, and you're done. You can seal an entire car (paint, wheels, glass) in well under 10 minutes. The product is a little pricey, but when used properly, it can go a long way. The time savings should easily make up for the product cost over time.

You sent me a PM too, but I just responded here since you provided a link... if you want more info, feel free to ask or send me a PM.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I've used SPNS many times, I do not consider it to be a time saver at all compared to spreading a liquid sealant/wax by machine.

If you're looking for a true time saver, you need a product like CarPro HydrO2... simply spray, rinse, and you're done. You can seal an entire car (paint, wheels, glass) in well under 10 minutes. The product is a little pricey, but when used properly, it can go a long way. The time savings should easily make up for the product cost over time.

You sent me a PM too, but I just responded here since you provided a link... if you want more info, feel free to ask or send me a PM.

-Zach
    Thanks Zach!

Quick question on Sonax Polymer Net Shield, does it have any fillers or gloss enhancing capabilities?

I have used CarPro Hydro O2, but wasn't impressed with it's longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
    Thanks Zach!

Quick question on Sonax Polymer Net Shield, does it have any fillers or gloss enhancing capabilities?

I have used CarPro Hydro O2, but wasn't impressed with it's longevity.
    I have seen HydrO2 last 2 months on wheels, and well over that on paint... results obviously vary depending on the environment, but regardless it is likely more durable than a spray wax that you were considering. Durability should not be the feature of your "Quick Wash & Wax"... get those customers to upgrade to a 6 month sealant for an additional $50... or better yet, upsell a correction and coating for many, many hundreds of dollars

Almost any product can fill IMO, some do it more than others, and some fillers last longer than others... I cannot say I noticed any with SPNS, but I only ever used it on fully corrected paint.

-Zach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Durability should not be the feature of your "Quick Wash & Wax"... get those customers to upgrade to a 6 month sealant for an additional $50... or better yet, upsell a correction and coating for many, many hundreds of dollars

Almost any product can fill IMO, some do it more than others, and some fillers last longer than others... I cannot say I noticed any with SPNS, but I only ever used it on fully corrected paint.

-Zach
    I agree with you about the durability/longevity not being the feature of my quick wash and wax package, but that is why I ask about fillers. Most customers will notice if their paint looks "shinier" and glossy. That is why I am looking for a quick, easy to apply wax/sealant that has great filling or gloss enhancing abilities. Does that make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 98LowRanger View Post
    I agree with you about the durability/longevity not being the feature of my quick wash and wax package, but that is why I ask about fillers. Most customers will notice if their paint looks "shinier" and glossy. That is why I am looking for a quick, easy to apply wax/sealant that has great filling or gloss enhancing abilities. Does that make sense?

Surely... Again, I'd recommend HydrO2... Gloss is fantastic.

If you wanted something with more durability, CarPro Reload provides that and also produces an great looking finish.

-Zach

Post Thanks / Like

Polymer Net Shield doesn't fill enough for a wash/wax special. Plus it takes a while to apply and you do not want to give away too much protection at this price point.

I would look at Meguiars 365, Optimum Car Wax or Hydro. 2-3 months is what you should be targeting.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the Hydro2, extremely quick and the gloss is outstanding!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Critic View Post

I would look at Meguiars 365, Optimum Car Wax or Hydro. 2-3 months is what you should be targeting.
    The Optimum Car wax seems like a great candidate! A spray wax that can be machine applied and seems to have good filling ability. All while not breaking the bank at a gallon for $50.

So do you guys think the Pinnacle XMT and Optimum Poli-Seal may be a little much for a fairly quick (wanting to keep it under 6 hours total) and inexpensive ($85-$100) detail?

Post Thanks / Like

"Wash and wax" ....to machine wax or aerosol?

Not to get too far off topic, but 6 hours for $100 or less?

That is the opposite of quick and easy... For $100 you need to be hitting 2 hours or less... There's just no money to be made in a 6 hr job for under $100. You need to value your time and abilities much higher... You will attract better customers when you price higher end services with higher end prices. Trust me. With these lower prices, you're simply going to be grouped with the rest of the other "hack detailers" who do "full details" for nothing.

$100 - thorough wash, hydro2 (or use spray wax after drying), dry, quick interior... Under 2 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast