autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Need help Convincing customers on paint correction..

So I'm just starting out and have only had two jobs that dealt with correcting paint. The first was my fiance's boss and he actually requested it of me, and the second was my mom lol. My fiance's boss is German, owns a dental lab that makes prosthetic teeth, and is very particular so I didn't really need to convince him per se. As far as my mom goes, it was something that I felt like I had to do because the car is a pearl white '14 Avalon that was a gift from her mother in law and it was about to go on a road trip to South Carolina.

My issue is that most car owners around here don't know what a top notch detail looks like. So trying to explain the process, price, time frame, etc. almost seems to put them off on the idea. And I'm talking about the people that are driving relatively new BMWs, Benzs, and a handful of Porches. My plan is to mainly target these car owners for the more expensive/in depth procedures like paint correction but not turn down other jobs like in/out cleaning for everyone else.

So my question to everyone is how would you pitch paint correction to someone that is used to driving their $60k car to a $20 hand wash to have the paint destroyed and silicone slathered on the tires? It's not like I can charge what I've seen some people that are on here charge, because I don't have the means to do so. But I can't do such a procedure for $100 and bust my butt to get it done in one day like most expect. Sure, there are one-step procedures that work well, but what if the results aren't what they want and they don't call back for future work? Thx in advance for the advice!

L8rs

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help Convincing customers on paint correction..

Here is one: Hope you took pictures of the work. I've found that taking lots of pictures really helps, since it lets other people (potential clients) see you work.

Post Thanks / Like

My advise is sell it to the right market. It sells itself to an extent. Just because someone is driving a $60K+ car doesn't mean they really want it cared for. It's about cash flow. If the owner is tapped from buying such an expensive car they may not feel real compelled to lay out $500+ for an elective paint correction.

You could always try to do a detail for them and ask permission to paint correct a small area to demonstrate what you are describing.

Find the guy that is a car guy and is wealthy and you'll stand a better chance.
    Semper Fi
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

First off I wouldn't do any paint correction customers cars until you have more experience. You have to educate your customers and have to realize paint correction is not for everyone. You have gauge what kind of customer they are. Some people a car is just a car and no matter what you say they will never want to pay for paint correction. For these people I use and AIO and they are very happy with the look of the car and I still make very good money.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I took pics of both cars, the thing is that it was near impossible to get any of the defects in the shots because the first one was a silver 06 SL500 and the other was pearl white. Both were done in the daytime with a lot of ambient light from outside of the garages. I have a couple other photos of a black test hood that I messed around with when I was working at a body shop, but it's on my phone at the moment and the screen doesn't do the pic justice. I know I definitely need more experience in taking pics of paint defects and a good AIO.

I also have a lot of experience in wet sanding and buffing paint. Although it was on fresh 2k high solid clear, I still had to get out tons of nasty runs and thousands of dust nibs. So I know what I can and can't get out and I tell people what to expect in situations where really deep scratches or scuffs are. The issue is pitching at least an AIO to someone that has never thought about anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like

There are several things you can do:

- Create a website with informative and descriptive articles about each service you offer. Include before/after photos or write-ups on vehicles you have detailed so people will know what to expect.

- Interview your customer. See if they are even a good candidate for paint correction services. If they are just going to be ramming it through the $20 wash a week after you get the paint looking perfect it will be a complete waste of time/money/effort.

- Only offer services that include various levels of paint correction. Most automotive type businesses specialize in one thing. Transmission shops, brake shops, oil change shops, etc. There is no reason detailing shops must all offer the same services. Match your service offerings to the market you want to sell to.

Best of luck!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

10% of my business is paint corrections. Most people do not want to spend $400 on an exterior detail but I find the one's that will are usually come back customers and they will refer you to their friends who also want high end work done.

The majority of my business is people who bought new cars and want them maintained from the start or neglect their vehicle for years and pay paint correction type money for me to save their interior, while doing a basic wash and wax on the exterior.

That's just been my experience over the past year or so, hopefully it helps to put things in perspective.

All you can do is show customers the difference in the paint, do a baggie test and show them the swirls in direct sunlight, then show them your previous work with 50/50 pictures. If they still decline don't sweat it.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 types of "Car People"

#1 its just a car it gets me from point A to point B & back again if it gets messed up oh well I'll get another one.

#2 This is my baby & I will do anything I can to make her shine.

#2's are far & few A very small %age.

If you want to push & sell you need to convince them they need to upkeep their investment with cosmetic preventive maintenance .Offer to do a test area If they see it they see it if they don't they don't then inform them of the acid rain & UV.

Some people go to the car was because they don't know any better & the others would not be able to see a great detail verses A cheerleader car wash @ Auto zone.

chances are if your a good detailer you will be your own worst enemy as in you see things other will not.

Best of luck.

SR66
    Discriminating Detailing or Nothing at all!

Post Thanks / Like

First off, stop selling 'paint correction' to customers. They don't know what the hell you're talking about when you say that

'advanced swirl removal' is a lot more common and understandable
    'Swirl and scratch removal package' is even more basic and easier to understand

second, your main points shouldn't be 'long-lasting protection' or 'preventative maintenance' benefits... only a handful of people look into that

sale:
    when was the last time you were excited about your car other than when you bought it off the dealership?

its been about 2 years now since you've bought the car and time has took it's toll on your car.

The paint is a bit dull, the glass is not 100% clear, and your leather has seen better days

what if you re-live those days, but this time your car would turn out BETTER than when you bought it off the lot

Your paint will be even more SMOOTH and SHINY than you have ever seen

You'll be able to use your car as a mirror for last minute adjustments when you go out with your friends

And if you're with a bunch of friends, be ready for them to ask you 'did you just get your car re-painted? It looks so shiny!'

trust me, EVERYONE will be looking at your car and taking pictures

I always have customers telling me how much attention their car gets after I perform the detail

People walk by and turn their heads like owls 'cause they're confused about why their car is so glossy and shiny

I always tell customers to go with my basic swirl removal package since it's $300 less than my premium package, but once I show them a small section results of the premium swirl removal package, they INSTANTLY fall in love with the shine and choose that package which starts off at $600
    Want more customers for your detailing business?
    Find out how: www.detailsummit.com

Mike Phillips

Read this...

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business
    Match your services to your customer

Don't try to do show car detailing on daily drivers for people that won't take care of your hard work. Save doing "paint correction" for people that care.

If you do a 2, 3, 4 step process to a beige Toyota Camry for a Soccer Mom and the next week she runs the car through a brush style car wash all your hard work was for nothing.

Don't let your passion and excitement for what you do cause you to offer the wrong service to your customers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast