autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What pressure washer?

Hey all.

Starting up a mobile buisness come spring. Ill be using a 75 gal water tank in my pickup truck. Ive been researching what washer to buy that will draw my standing water in the tank and allow me to wash vehicles without frying the pump.

Someone recommended a Cat or General pump as opposed to cheaper models. However, I just read a manual online for a 2700 psi Cat pump from Northern Tools and it said NOT to use a standing water source....

My plan was to buy a Honda GX gas engine and bolt up a direct drive pump to it. Just confused now what to buy / use for a pump. My tank will be mounted at the same level as my pump - on the bed of the truck - so I dont see it providing much flow pressure on its own.

Whats everyone else using....help?

Thx
    Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What pressure washer?

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Shine View Post
    Hey all.

Starting up a mobile buisness come spring. Ill be using a 75 gal water tank in my pickup truck. Ive been researching what washer to buy that will draw my standing water in the tank and allow me to wash vehicles without frying the pump.

Someone recommended a Cat or General pump as opposed to cheaper models. However, I just read a manual online for a 2700 psi Cat pump from Northern Tools and it said NOT to use a standing water source....

My plan was to buy a Honda GX gas engine and bolt up a direct drive pump to it. Just confused now what to buy / use for a pump. My tank will be mounted at the same level as my pump - on the bed of the truck - so I dont see it providing much flow pressure on its own.

Whats everyone else using....help?

Thx
    Jon
    In all honesty. Buying a gas pressure washer is a waist. You have high maintenance. Hi gas prices. 2700psi is 100 more psi than u need.

Get a greenworks 1700psi electric pressure washer. Thing is tough as nails and I love it. Its not cheap like the karcher brand crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoldBl4d3 View Post
    In all honesty. Buying a gas pressure washer is a waist. You have high maintenance. Hi gas prices. 2700psi is 100 more psi than u need.

Get a greenworks 1700psi electric pressure washer. Thing is tough as nails and I love it. Its not cheap like the karcher brand crap.
    For real?
    So what do you use when electricity is an issue? Townhomes, condos, business parks, fundraisers, fleetlots, shopping centers, etc. and the list goes on.
    Last edited by Vegas Transplant; 12-07-2012 at 03:47 AM.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    For real?
    So what do you use when electricity is an issue? Townhomes, condos, business parks, fundraisers, fleetlots, shopping centers, etc. and the list goes on.
    Small portable generator. Honda has a lot of great ones. They use very little gas. As a gas pressure washer will go thro a tank in 20 minutes. Plus you have the constant starting and stopping it to detail and wash.

Plus, if your going to be starting a detail business, you need electricity for your polisher, lights etc.

So buy a portable generator( small, quiet one) and problem solved.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the replies.

Thing is for me...I need something that'll draw water from the tank. If I bought an electric I'd need to also buy a 12v on demand pump and figure out how to wire it in etc...

If I go gas, I can always expand my services to cleaning other things too if its slow.

Lots of gas out there but what ones will draw from a standing tank? Most say not to that I've seen so far......

Post Thanks / Like

Small portable generator. Honda has a lot of great ones. They use very little gas. As a gas pressure washer will go thro a tank in 20 minutes. Plus you have the constant starting and stopping it to detail and wash.

Plus, if your going to be starting a detail business, you need electricity for your polisher, lights etc.

So buy a portable generator( small, quiet one) and problem solved.
    But now you're running two machines. To each their own and yours is good advice.

^^^
    In You have high maintenance.
    I'll be looking into the smaller generator next year if I'm still detailing for dollars, but this is my rarely used go to.

VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know as well what PWs can draw from a tank (electric or gas). I'm about to get an Everflo on demand pump, but would prefer if I didn't have to.

I was going to go with a custom PW setup and mount it to a skid, that is:
    Predator 7HP engine $99 from Harbor Freight and extremely reliable from past experience with the Harbor Freight 3400/4000 generator that uses the same engine.
    Comet AX series 2.5GPM 2700PSI pump for $149.

BUT I'd need a pressurized source.

Post Thanks / Like

See thats my dilemma.

I could buy any old washer out there as long as I bought an in line on demand pump with enough pressure to supply it. Im using a 3500W genny too like most others. Issue is...the in line pump is extra hassle, and cant just be plugged into the genny. Most 12v transformers that I would plug into the genny to run the pump are only 7-8 amps and less.

They arent designed for such a large draw, the pump I looked at drew 9 amps...cant seem to find a bigger transformer that would run it.

Just looking to keep it simple by buying a PW thatll draw water from the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Shine View Post
    See thats my dilemma.

I could buy any old washer out there as long as I bought an in line on demand pump with enough pressure to supply it. Im using a 3500W genny too like most others. Issue is...the in line pump is extra hassle, and cant just be plugged into the genny. Most 12v transformers that I would plug into the genny to run the pump are only 7-8 amps and less.

They arent designed for such a large draw, the pump I looked at drew 9 amps...cant seem to find a bigger transformer that would run it.

Just looking to keep it simple by buying a PW thatll draw water from the tank.
    FWIW: Here is a 3.3GPM on demand pump that is 115v AC. That way there is no need in figuring out a 12v supply with enough amperage: SHURflo Industrial Pump — 198 GPH, 115 Volt, 1/2in., Model# 2088-594-154 | Utility Pumps| Northern Tool + Equipment

Hope the link is okay since it's not a competitor

But, it's still just another piece in the mix I'd rather not have and I know you're thinking the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh yes thanks. So that eliminates the power issue.

I guess I'm just wondering what is everyone currently using to make their systems work?
    I seen tons of mobile setups on here...just trying to figure out if theyre just hard on their pumps..or what.

Ive passed up a few real good deals on gas pressure washers lately only because I was afraid they wouldnt work with the standing non pressurized water. Im thinking maybe go ahead and buy a deal with a cheap pump then just replace it with a General or Comet when it dies. Its a simple bolt up install anyway....

Just want to do things right the first time not spend a ton of dough when I dont need to. Heck I could even use my Simonize 2000 psi electric I currently have if I bought an electric pump but I dont want to mickey mouse it....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast