autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

$5,500 worth of detailing products... my STARTING overhead

Items in GREEN: Only have to buy ONCE
    Items in YELLOW: May have to buy more in the future, but it will be uncommon.
    Items in WHITE: Re-stock as necessary

What do you guys think? I'm in need of some leather cleaners/conditioners so feel free to suggest!

Edit: The Mothers Polish and the 24-Pack of Foam Applicators...the functions should be 'CHROME Polish' and 'CHROME Polish/Wax Applicators". In the picture I have it specified 'rim', but chrome can be on the grill, the trim of the car, the exhausts, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: $5,500 worth of detailing products... my STARTING overhead

Things I would add would be:
    D120 glass cleaner
    More MF maybe a pack from costco for dirty jobs and another 10 pack of good paint worthy ones.
    2 of each pad is a little light

I would also replace the clay or add some type of nanoskin: sponge, mitt, pad, whichever. You drop it no worries spray it off, much faster, and more uses before replacing.

But all in all looks nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Things I would add would be:
    D120 glass cleaner
    More MF maybe a pack from costco for dirty jobs and another 10 pack of good paint worthy ones.
    2 of each pad is a little light

I would also replace the clay or add some type of nanoskin: sponge, mitt, pad, whichever. You drop it no worries spray it off, much faster, and more uses before replacing.

But all in all looks nice.
    Completely forgot the glass cleaner. I like Stoners Invisible Glass foaming spray honestly but I mean if the D120 is better I'll give it a shot.

I've never used nano skin before. Heard about it. Always used clay. May try if it's recommended by more.

May get 4pads then.

The costco pack sounds good... for rims/engine/nasty interior.

edit: reminder to myself to purchase necessary products for window polishing

Edit2: Why can I not edit the original post? Was going to say the title is a bit mis-leading... It's really about $2500 of detailing products + a $3000 cargo van lmao

Edit3: This will be part-time. I plan to do 3-4 cars per weekend. Bringing in $500-$800/weekend... so roughly $2000-$3000/month - insurance - overhead - loan repayment... $1200-$2200 profit. (At least thats how it's planned out in my head... who knows lol) Theres only one guy around my area I know of that is mobile. There are about 4-5 shops around. I have quite a bit of people essentially 'waiting' for me to open up so I can do their cars. Have guys wanting business cards of mine once I get them made because they have people that want their cars detailed. Things look good from this point... but then again we all know, life happens. Trying to be optimistic but also realistic.

Post Thanks / Like

Nano skin is where its going. Especially by people who do it for a living. I personally haven't done it, but I plan to move to it sooner rather than later. I think lots of people will chime in and say nanoskin > clay.

I have 3-4 pads each and its good. But I'm just a hobbyist working 1 car at a time really. If I had 2 pads each I would have been screwed and I only had one car to do! I would say if you're buying pad conditioner, then definitely get 4x pads. BTW - can't you just use QD to condition the pad? ONR or UWW+ is a lot cheaper and more versatile than specific pad conditioner. I use ONR diluted to QD to condition my pad. But let others chime in on that though.

Your list is solid man!!! I can only imagine how excited you must be!
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Garrshh!! Gall-lee!! Shazzzaammmm!!

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jSpBwt4hFN8"]Gomer Pyle (Garsh, Sha-zam, Gall-lee) - YouTube[/video]

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered using bulk detailing products (or production detailing products)? You estimate 3-4 cars a weekend, $500-$800 bucks, which is around $200 a car, which to me sounds like aio/one step polishing jobs and interiors. I think if that's your goal, you can cut your budget a decent amount by swapping a few things out for some bulk detailing products (ex auto magic, car brite). By making that kind of switch, you can use the extra dough for marketing and advertising.. Perhaps a car wrap or something cool like that.

5 gallon pail of solid water based dressing that you can dilute - $80-$100
    Bulk gallon carnauba wax - $25 - $33
    Bulk gallon aio glaze/polish/wax filler - $25 - $30
    5 gallon pail of high concentrate car wash soap $50 - $75
    Etc etc

If you have a distributor in your area and can build a decent relationship, you can get these products on the lower side of the price scale

There's a few things you can swap out for bulk products that wouldn't make much of a difference in user experience and looks. If you're a good detailer, then you should have very little issue with making a car look good while using a bulk product. The only things I wouldn't consider swapping out are polishes and compounds.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Niko Molina View Post
    Items in GREEN: Only have to buy ONCE
    Items in YELLOW: May have to buy more in the future, but it will be uncommon.
    Items in WHITE: Re-stock as necessary

What do you guys think? I'm in need of some leather cleaners/conditioners so feel free to suggest!

Edit: The Mothers Polish and the 24-Pack of Foam Applicators...the functions should be 'CHROME Polish' and 'CHROME Polish/Wax Applicators". In the picture I have it specified 'rim', but chrome can be on the grill, the trim of the car, the exhausts, etc.
    Did I miss website design?

Post Thanks / Like

A few things:

Have you thought about using customers water and electric? This will save you lots of money.

I would go with 5.5" Pads over the Meguiars Soft buff pads. They are just too large for any DA and you can get better results with the smaller pads from LC. Additionally you will need to pick up a 5" backing plate for those pads.

If you getting the Rupes 15 or 21 then go with the Rupes pads. They were made to work perfectly with the machine. I have tired out numerous pads and I have realized the Rupes pads work the best. If you do go with the 21 I have added the smaller backing plate to mine and use the smaller pads. Make sure you get lots of pads the more the better. At the minimum you should have 3 per pad choice.

Another thing you can think aout addind is the Meguiars Microfiber correction kit or just the pads for the Rupes.

I would go with a different sealant like Collinite (to save money) or the Blackfire Wet Diamond Paint Sealant.

Go with the Speedy prep towel/mitt/pad this will decrease the time you spend claying the car in a heart beat. Spend the extra mony and you will be glad you did.

I like the wheel woolies but I would go with the Daytona speed brushes over the wheel woolies.

I would add Meguiars D156 for a spray wax and do away with the Mothers liquid carnuba wax.

No need for the wheel sealant as you can use the other stuff like the Blackfire or Collinite for that. Most wheels you will come across are clearcoated just like the car itself.

I would go with something like FG400 for a compound. M105 is good but can give you issues. If you like the Meguiars line then M100 or M101 is another good option as well.

Add in Optimum No Rines. You can use this for rinesless washes, detail spray, and clay lube so thats a no brainer.

Get lots of good paint towels and get lots of general purpose towels.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Couple things i see here:
    55g tank? I think most pressure washers are going to be something like 1.5gpm so will your tank be large enough to wash 2 vehicles in a day?
    I know it silly, you need buckets..??
    I think for production details tuff coat tire shine is too expensive, look for a bulk tire dressing you can use for tires and wheel wells.
    You have 7" megs buffing pads? I think those are for a rotary, not to mention you have a rupes unit listed, a 7" pad is not going to work on an entire car.
    Ditch the clay and get nanoskin, cheaper alternative based on how much work you are planning on.
    I also would pick different compounds unless you have used M105 before.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang you Evan, I was typing and talking! Beat me to it!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast